SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux jerseys...

Let'sGoHawks!

Notre Dame can go take a long walk off a really short pier. I get so darn sick of hearing how great they think they are. NEWS FLASH: They're not good at anything! They stink at basketball, football, and not to mention hockey. I've never really seen the whole appeal to Notre Dame, and I never will.

North Dakota better keep using the ND logo!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it's funny how revisionist history becomes fact when interpreted by the masses. Fact: North Dakota used the interlocking "ND" logo first.

You want another interesting "fact"? Everyone loves Michigan's famous football helmets, right? I know I do. Ah, the history and tradition. Everyone else rips off Michigan. Check again, folks. In 1938, Michigan hired head football coach Herbert O.

It's a bit upsetting to see many don't share in my opinion. I am happy, however, that UND's merchandise does not bear nearly as many "notre-dame logos" as it has in the past. I believe UND is phasing out the logo, as well as the geometric logo and we won't have to worry about this issue in the near future. By the way, I am glad UND dropped the Chicago Blackhawk logo and designed our own. That was a blatant ripoff too. Put the current logo on the 80's jersey's with the S and crisscrossed tomahawks and we'd have a great jersey. In football, put the new Sioux logo on the helmets and you'd have a great look too.

LOL...so LetsGoSioux! rips on the "blatant" rip-off of the Blackhawk logo but is in favor of bringing back the S and tomahawks? News flash, LetsGoSioux!, that's a rip-off, too. UND obtained permission from the Chicago Blackhawks owner a long time ago to use the Blackhawk logo. When the club was sold to Bill Wirtz in the early 1990's, he decided to charge UND for use of the logo. UND decided against that and scrapped it altogether.

I know people rip on St Cloud's uniforms as rip-offs and I agree. The huskie dog with the StC dog tags is cool. How that is not a primary jersey logo I have no idea. Watch for SCSU against the Gophers when they don their new alternate jersey as made by Gemini Sportswear. It's a script writing with St Cloud State on it. I wasn't a big fan of it when I saw it in the shop, but will reserve my opinion when I see them on the ice.

As long as we're discussing jerseys, has anyone else noticed that Northern Michigan has returned to the "WILDCATS" jersey as worn in the early 1990's and during their 1991 title season as opposed to the hideous jerseys with the actual wildcat on them that they've had the past several seasons?

I realize the S and tomahawks is a modification of the Blackhawks jersey, however, it wasn't as blatant as the large center logo or the exact logo that Notre Dame uses, it had SOME creativity. I think the main point to take away from this thread is that UND does not use the logo as much as they used to. You cannot deny this. As I stated earlier, they seem to be phasing it out, which is refreshing to me.

A few years ago, the '80s jersey got voted as the best college hockey uniform of all time. I can't remember if it was for the WCHA 50th anniversery or an NCAA poll.

Everything is a rip off now-a-days. Isn't the Gophers 9th alternate jersey that they introduced this year very similar to Wisconsin?

I really like MTU's road uni this year.

Since we're on the topic of ripping off, wouldn't you think that Duluth would want to get their own colors. Especially when they have that identity crisis and need to change their name to "THE" university of Minnesota Duluth.

I know UMC is also Maroon and Gold. Was this a Minnesota institution thing that they had to match the U of M?

Anyhow, lets not start acting like fans at the Ralph do sometimes: fighting with each other. We still have the best jerseys in the country, with or without the interlocking logo. I am starting to feel like the Queer Eye for the hockey jersey guy, that is not good. Gophers suck! There, now I feel better.

Since we're on the topic of ripping off, wouldn't you think that Duluth would want to get their own colors.  Especially when they have that identity crisis and need to change their name to "THE" university of Minnesota Duluth.

I know UMC is also Maroon and Gold.  Was this a Minnesota institution thing that they had to match the U of M?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is something to do with it. U of M Morris has similar colors as well.

While I like the old Sioux/Blackhawk jersey, I wouldn't want to go back to that because I always saw it as a copy of the Chicago uniform. For those that want to see the tomahawk shoulder logo come back, do you think that would really help UND regarding the amount of flack it already takes for having a Native American nickname? I don't think the tomahawk promotes the kind of image that UND wants associated with the use of the Sioux name.

LGS, it is not the "Notre Dame logo", it is the interlocking ND logo. Please refrain from referring to it as such. Failure to do so may result in the University of North Dakota taking legal action against you. If anything, Notre Dame should refer to it as the University of North Dakota logo.

Does any one know exactly what year North Dakota institued the interlocking ND symbol versus when Norte Dame actually adopted their interlocking ND?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I recall, there was an article on this in the not too distant past in either Sioux Illustrated or the Alumni mag.

Long and short of it, the article stated that North Dakota had the interlocking "ND" first, neither side has exclusive rights to it, Notre Dame grads are, by and large, a bunch of worthless louts, and the Gophers' "M" remains about the lamest letter logo of them all.

While I like the old Sioux/Blackhawk jersey, I wouldn't want to go back to that because I always saw it as a copy of the Chicago uniform.  For those that want to see the tomahawk shoulder logo come back, do you think that would really help UND regarding the amount of flack it already takes for having a Native American nickname?  I don't think the tomahawk promotes the kind of image that UND wants associated with the use of the Sioux name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course it would not help, but it wouldn't hurt either. If you think a tomahawk promotes a negative image of UND, then so does the adjective "Fighting" preceeding Sioux. I suspect you are not in agreement with the Sioux heritage as being that of warriors then either. A message that is broadcast at every Sioux game. Being native american myself, I'm extremely proud of our logo and any emphasis of it. This issue isn't going away any time soon, tomahawk or not......

As I recall, there was an article on this in the not too distant past in either Sioux Illustrated or the Alumni mag.

Long and short of it, the article stated that North Dakota had the interlocking "ND" first, neither side has exclusive rights to it, Notre Dame grads are, by and large, a bunch of worthless louts, and the Gophers' "M" remains about the lamest letter logo of them all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the response.

I concur with your thoughts...

I have a tape of the 2001 FB championship game. And every time I watch it I get pissed off at the announcers, they were total idiots. During the game they were joking about the logo on our helmets and how they had seen them somewhere before but just weren't quite sure where, maybe the University of Northern Deleware used something similar. IDIOTS. But they also thought UND was in Fargo so what do you expect? :blush:

My vote is for the flame logo!!! :lol:

Of course it would not help, but it wouldn't hurt either. If you think a tomahawk promotes a negative image of UND, then so does the adjective "Fighting" preceeding Sioux. I suspect you are not in agreement with the Sioux heritage as being that of warriors then either. A message that is broadcast at every Sioux game. Being native american myself, I'm extremely proud of our logo and any emphasis of it. This issue isn't going away any time soon, tomahawk or not......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm aware of the history of the Sioux people and the message played at the start of home games as I've had hockey and football tickets for four years now. What I was saying that I don't think the school would ever go for the tomahawk logo again because they'd see it as not being PC.