SiouxSports.com Forum

REA needs a change?

Driveforshow

Talk is that it would cost big bucks to fix the problem.They say that the big sheet of ice is fine but the main sheet of ice is not getting cold enough,because the big sheet is higher then the main sheet and their is a problem with that main pump that works both rinks. The only way to fix it is to spend the money,which they won't do unless they pass the hat at the next home game or rise the price of beer.

Would any of the other games fill the Betty. No no no no.

The only reason that game was over was because it was a reunion or celebration of Sioux Basketball. And there was no 5,000 people at that game either. Go back to the Betty were there would be atmosphere. I bet the bb coaches would rather play in the betty.

We will se the attendance this weekend. I bet they don't get 3,000 per night.

Here's a short list of things I would do immediately:

1) Get basketball out of The Ralph and into The Betty where it belongs!!! It's time to give up this fantasy of increasing the fan base for basketball by having it in an 11,500 seat arena. It's not going to happen. They are drawing the same crowds now that they always have. Have all games in The Betty. If you have a game that you think will draw a big crowd (like with NDSU), then have it in The Ralph. But otherwise, 99% of the crowds will be small enough for The Betty to handle.

2) Fix the cotton-picking ice. Does it make sense to have a $104 million arena with ice worse than the old one? I say no. I am so sick of hearing how poor and cash-strapped our athletic department is. This arena is a cash machine and yet we can't afford to fix the ice, the most important part of the whole building? ;):0 Ralph Engelstad didn't spare any expense building this arena. REA management should take the same attitude towards making The Ralph a top-of-the-line arena for both the players and the fans. If they "pass the hat" to pay for something like this, I'll tell them where to stick it. I give The Ralph enough of my money as it is! ;)

3) Find a common-sense solution to the student seating controversy. Our student section is the heart and soul of the atmosphere of Sioux hockey. But ever since the opening of the new Ralph, REA management has been determined to muzzle the student section and make it a nice, quiet and sterile environment for cell phone snobs and corporate suits. As a result, I don't think opposing teams fear coming to Grand Forks like they used to. We need a better balance between school spirit and the wishes of the luxury box and season ticket holders. And if the corporate types don't like it, they can pick up their toys and go someplace else. REA will continue to rake in the cash from beer, concession sales and season ticket holders (like myself) with or without their patronage.

Those are my solutions for a better REA. But don't hold your breath waiting for them to happen.

1) Get basketball out of The Ralph and into The Betty where it belongs!!!  It's time to give up this fantasy of increasing the fan base for basketball by having it in an 11,500 seat arena.  It's not going to happen.  They are drawing the same crowds now that they always have.  Have all games in The Betty.  If you have a game that you think will draw a big crowd (like with NDSU), then have it in The Ralph.  But otherwise, 99% of the crowds will be small enough for The Betty to handle.

2) Fix the cotton-picking ice.  Does it make sense to have a $104 million arena with ice worse than the old one?  I say no.  I am so sick of hearing how poor and cash-strapped our athletic department is.  This arena is a cash machine and yet we can't afford to fix the ice, the most important part of the whole building? ;)  :0  Ralph Engelstad didn't spare any expense building this arena.  REA management should take the same attitude towards making The Ralph a top-of-the-line arena for both the players and the fans.  If they "pass the hat" to pay for something like this, I'll tell them where to stick it.  I give The Ralph enough of my money as it is! ;)

3) Find a common-sense solution to the student seating controversy. Our student section is the heart and soul of the atmosphere of Sioux hockey.  But ever since the opening of the new Ralph, REA management has been determined to muzzle the student section and make it a nice, quiet and sterile environment for cell phone snobs and corporate suits.  As a result, I don't think opposing teams fear coming to Grand Forks like they used to.  We need a better balance between school spirit and the wishes of the luxury box and season ticket holders.  And if the corporate types don't like it, they can pick up their toys and go someplace else.  REA will continue to rake in the cash from beer, concession sales and season ticket holders (like myself) with or without their patronage.

Those are my solutions for a better REA.  But don't hold your breath waiting for them to happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Agreed

2. I read somewhere that, if you take off all the non ice related events from the main arena's rink, the ice will improve. Can't remember, though, just which school boasted that. I think I read that from a poster here. Anyways, move the Basketball to the Betty and the concerts to the Alerus or someplace else, and you'll have flawless ice, I'm sure of it.

3. This is the issue that Roger's leaving will become the most critical. How is the new AD going to handle the student hockey situation? Will he be Kupchella's mini me and screw us? Or will he be sympathetic and try to work with us as much as possible? From the list of those who are applying, it doesn't appear as though any of the ADs have experience in DI hockey. Though one candidate does have experience in DI (he's from Oregon State).

From the list of those who are applying, it doesn't appear as though any of the ADs have experience in DI hockey.  Though one candidate does have experience in DI (he's from Oregon State).

Yes, an assistant AD from Oregon State applied.

An assistant AD from Stanford (Ray Purpur) applied as well:

- he grew up in Grand Forks

- graduated from UND

- and he is a relative of a guy named Clifford "Fido" Purpur.

a poster on here talked about the situation in Vancouver when the grizzlies left town how the ice in the arena is now some of the best ice in the (soon to be defunct) NHL since they don't have to strip it every other night for basketball and can let it set and continue to get harder and harder and faster and faster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this why we see better ice in the rinks that use their facilities for hockey only. Notice how nice the ice in Calgary and Edmonton is. I just don't get it. They build a brand new beautiful basketball facility and they turn around use the hockey arena for basketball. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. The Ralph just doesn't look right 3/4 empty being used for basketball.

A friend of mine called REA to see if they would show his son on the big screen for his birthday and they said they would but the cost is 25.00 dollars.Whats the charge for the kiss cam.

And whats up with taking off the caps on your drinks.I have been going to sioux hockey and basketball games for a long time and I never once saw a cap tossed on the floor.REA must be getting a kick back from coke to turn back the caps for the two for one offer.

WHAT'S NEXT :0?;)?

Most every arena charges to post a special message or event - catching you in the stands by chance isn't the same. At least it's not much more than a ticket.

As for the bottle thing, you can throw a full bottle with a cap on it and it flies quite well. Take off the cap, and now it'll fly much slower and be mostly empty by the time it reaches the WCHA official in question. They always say "for your safety" at pro sports arenas, but it's really to keep the bottles from flying.

I still remember seeing footage of Eagles fans with snow severely wounding their own cheerleader who was left knocked down on the field and pelted for minutes before she could be reached and treated, and "battery day" at a Yankees game - it should've been called Energizer assault and battery day.

John

A friend of mine called REA to see if they would show his son on the big screen for his birthday and they said they would but the cost is 25.00 dollars.Whats the charge for the kiss cam.

And whats up with taking off the caps on your drinks.I have been going to sioux hockey and basketball games for a long time and I never once saw a cap tossed on the floor.REA must be getting a kick back from coke to turn back the caps for the two for one offer.

WHAT'S NEXT :0?;)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They remove the caps of all the drinks at the arena for the Saginaw Spirit (OHL Junior Hockey) games here but at the Joe Louis Arena, they have left them on occasionally at Red Wings and college hockey games. Safety is the reason they have given me for keeping the caps.

I'd rather have the caps to prevent my beer from spilling if I have to immediately stand up and yell (not that I've spilled one yet)!

1) Get basketball out of The Ralph and into The Betty where it belongs!!!  It's time to give up this fantasy of increasing the fan base for basketball by having it in an 11,500 seat arena.  It's not going to happen.  They are drawing the same crowds now that they always have.  Have all games in The Betty.  If you have a game that you think will draw a big crowd (like with NDSU), then have it in The Ralph.  But otherwise, 99% of the crowds will be small enough for The Betty to handle.

2) Fix the cotton-picking ice.  Does it make sense to have a $104 million arena with ice worse than the old one?  I say no.  I am so sick of hearing how poor and cash-strapped our athletic department is.  This arena is a cash machine and yet we can't afford to fix the ice, the most important part of the whole building? ;)  :0  Ralph Engelstad didn't spare any expense building this arena.  REA management should take the same attitude towards making The Ralph a top-of-the-line arena for both the players and the fans.  If they "pass the hat" to pay for something like this, I'll tell them where to stick it.  I give The Ralph enough of my money as it is! ;)

3) Find a common-sense solution to the student seating controversy. Our student section is the heart and soul of the atmosphere of Sioux hockey.  But ever since the opening of the new Ralph, REA management has been determined to muzzle the student section and make it a nice, quiet and sterile environment for cell phone snobs and corporate suits.  As a result, I don't think opposing teams fear coming to Grand Forks like they used to.  We need a better balance between school spirit and the wishes of the luxury box and season ticket holders.  And if the corporate types don't like it, they can pick up their toys and go someplace else.  REA will continue to rake in the cash from beer, concession sales and season ticket holders (like myself) with or without their patronage.

Those are my solutions for a better REA.  But don't hold your breath waiting for them to happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with everything that was said in the above post. The powers at be need to remember who supports that arena and the University. It is the Sioux fans and students. All they are accomplishing by creating a "family" atmosphere is creating a less enthusiastic, less passionate fan. Students turn into alumi and the alumni are the ones that support the programs at UND, no matter what part of the country they currently reside in. Alumi are going to remember their experiences at sporting events at UND. I am a passionate and dedicated Sioux sports fan and I attibute that to the fun that I had at the hockey games. The chants, cheers, loud music, ect...The stuff that is not encouraged at todays games. I wonder if the tradition of a dedicated sioux fan is being passed on?

I am not sure that this makes sense to anyone else but me but I think it is a fairly good point.