SiouxSports.com Forum

PWR/UND's NCAA tournament chances

jimdahl

Sweeping UW will be crucial. That alone would likely get the Mich St. and UW comparisons back to the UND side of the ledger.

Making the Final Five and winning two games at the X would help the Sioux RPI immensely as well.

Small things. Root for Harvard to lose @ Beanpot to NE and or BC. Hope for a strong Maine finish to ensure UND claims their RPI bonus.

Stumbles by the ECAC leaders help UND alot.

Small things.  Root for Harvard to lose @ Beanpot to NE and or BC.  Hope for a strong Maine finish to ensure UND claims their RPI bonus.

Stumbles by the ECAC leaders help UND alot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you got you wish with Harvard losing to NE in 2OT.

Well, you got you wish with Harvard losing to NE in 2OT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I truly don't care that much. :silly:

UND needed Harvard to lose to both NE and BC and the hard part is complete. Now if they lose to BC and the UND passes them in RPI (which is expected), UND will get that comparison and move a little closer to the tourney.

This was one comparison that I didn't expect UND to get back due to HU having to lose to both NE and BC and they weren't even guarenteed a HU/BC matchup.

Actually doesn't that count as a tie in the RPI?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think when the tourney rules are to play it out until someone wins, it counts as a win. Shootouts to determine who is in the championship count as ties.

Goon- I hope you are a big Cam Neeley fan  :lol: (as am I)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was until some dirty Swede named Ulfie took his knee out with an ilegial cheap hit. Cam "Bam" Neely was an awesome gritty player. That the type of player UND needs scores goals lots of them and none of them are pretty. A lot of his goals were from the dots in. The type Bucks scored last season.

That's all lovely (and I appreciate the information), but my recollection from reading the link at the top of this thread is that UND's path to the NCAA tournament is clear. Win four or more of the last six and they have a great chance to qualify for the tournament. Win three, and it's a very uneasy spot on the bubble. Two and they can probably break out the golf clubs.

If they end up in a tenuous spot, then I suppose we will be pulling hard for Maine and Bemidji and Canisius. It would be nice if they would just make things simpler by winning some games.

If the Sioux win half their remaing games, take a dump in the playoff series against whoever (UMD) and not make the Final Five, could they still make the NCAA's?  Any number crunchers out there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The better question is, would they deserve to? Don't get me wrong, I want the boys in the national tournament, but I want them going in with momentum and I want them to make some noise when they get there.

If the Sioux win half their remaing games, take a dump in the playoff series against whoever (UMD) and not make the Final Five, could they still make the NCAA's?  Any number crunchers out there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no way to crunch numbers and determine that, since a lot depends on what other teams do. As Sics said, just win.

As much as I'd like to see the Sioux in the NCAA's, if they can't sweep UAA and SCSU, split (at least) with Wisco, and then win a home series to go to the final five, they may as well watch the NCAA's on TV with the rest of us.

I'm with ya there, Sprig. For all of these projections and thoughts, the fact of the matter is, this team is barely above .500. I'd hardly say that qualifies you to be in the NCAA tournament. Plus, they've got six games left against tough opponents. Alaska Anchorage has taken 2 out of 3 from Minnesota pending tonite's game, St Cloud beat CC last night, and Wisconsin is solid. PWR be damned, if the best this team can do is a split against AA, a split against St Cloud, and getting swept by Wisconsin, Hakstol and co. can meet me at Joe Senser's in Bloomington and watch the tournament on TV.

And before anyone jumps down my throat because I'm saying Wisconsin will sweep UND, go rewind your tape of the Denver series. Bad breaks, pipes, blah blah blah. Denver is clearly a superior team to UND right now and my money says Wisconsin will be too.

i don't know if deserving getting in the nc$$'a means much if they get awarded a birth in the tourney. who cares as long as we get in. i do understand though what you guys are stating. we have not exactly tore it up this year..the crazy thing is yes, we are only a few games above .500. but that does qualify the sioux if the season ended now as a 3 seed of all things due to the tough schedule the sioux played so far.they are benefiting a lot by having minn, cc, denver and wisc in the top 5 or 10 for most of the season...#11 alone in the pairwise. is it great? hell no but thats how it falls when breaking down the pairwise. obviously the season is not over and they still have work to be done. they do have tough games left like MAFIAMAN has stated so they better come out flying. road games are always tough no matter what but if we can get that 4th seed into the playoffs with all of these upsets happening and have umd play minn in the 1st round of wcha playoffs then things can get very interesting.next make a mini run into the ncaa's and anything can happen as we noticed last year with denver. murray will spark them HOPEFULLY and then we stop hitting the damn pipes and start lighting the lamp.

THATS MY RANT..GO SIOUX

. . . . . Denver is clearly a superior team to UND right now and my money says Wisconsin will be too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd take some of your money there MafiaMan, that is, if I were still a betting man

and if you could afford to drop some of it while popping off your mouth.

Go shelter and feed the wife and kids, and sit back and enjoy the late season/post season run my friend.

No reason to stay home and watch the NCAA's on TV on the off chance that we don't make it. We've got a fistful of West Regionals and will be there with the Sioux, hell or high water.