SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. denver

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going with a Denver sweep since I have been wrong on every prediction this year other than UMD not winning the WCHA at the beginning of the year. Hope this helps the Sioux since I will finally be back at the Ralph this weekend. This graduating stuff sure hurts my hockey attendence.

I'd guess the fourth line will see limited duty this weekend, unless the Sioux can put up some goals and get a lead.

Having a hard time understanding how a Sioux team that dominated CC (and lost), were dominated by a BSU forecheck on Friday. Part of it could be attributed to missing Greene and Fuher?

Although the Sioux played better on Saturday, they again did not dominate BSU on the forecheck, they way they did CC through most of the 4 games played. BSU was certainly better than expected, but I don't think they rank up there with the current top of the WCHA.

Still waiting for a total Sioux performance (including goals), hope waiting doesn't carry on into next season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason you see the ups and downs are caused by the lack of mental prepration!!!!!!

I am going with a Denver sweep since I have been wrong on every prediction this year other than UMD not winning the WCHA at the beginning of the year.  Hope this helps the Sioux since I will finally be back at the Ralph this weekend.  This graduating stuff sure hurts my hockey attendence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you mean about graduating and moving, can't see as many games! It sucks.

Let's see if I remember how this works...Denver will definitely SHUT OUT the Sioux both games this weekend...their goalies are too good not to get two SHUTOUTS!!

OK Sioux, work your magic...

RIGHT!

Mannino has a 92% saves percentage and Fischer an 89%. Both these guys might not give up another goal all year.

In fact, I've heard they both may sign pro contracts right after the weekend, they're going to be so good.

"The Great Wall of China". That's what they call Denver's goaltending corp.

RIGHT!

Mannino has a 92% saves percentage and Fischer an 89%. Both these guys might not give up another goal all year.

In fact, I've heard they both may sign pro contracts right after the weekend, they're going to be so good.

"The Great Wall of China". That's what they call Denver's goaltending corp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, let's home we turn the Great Wall into the Maginot Line :lol:

What if Zajac's 2 posts and Massen's 1 post all went in?

What would we be saying if they'd have won these games 4-3 and 5-1 this weekend?

It's not an offensive explosion, but that would be a little better, wouldn't it? They're close.

Yes, they didn't get the pucks in the net. Inches DO count in hockey. I'm looking at the bright side.

I have no idea what to expect this weekend. I wish all our guys were available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote

What if !!! As a goalie would say ( Wilbur, help me out with this one) I f you have you angle covered, the only thing that is open to hit would be the POST!!!!

Hopefully the Sioux can win both games. It will be tough though since they are the only team in college hockey to have two straight years of bad "puck luck"

If they do not get at least a split, I am changing my name to BringGinoBack. Though the early 90 Gino teams were also horrible, they were entertaining. I will take a good 7-6 shootout over what we have been seeing anyday.

I hope the PA announcer introduces "the Denver Pioneers, your defending national champions" ...

On the strength of REVENGE, and this dish is served cold, I think we'll come out firing on all cylinders. If we can get an early first goal, that's a Key to the Game.

Besides the elevation always bothers DU ...

What if !!! As a goalie would say ( Wilbur, help me out with this one) I f you have you angle covered, the only thing that is open to hit would be the POST!!!!

Yes, you are right. I think when the puck hits the post the goalies says "well, I had it covered." No doubt. All I'm saying is, we generated the chances and were very very close to adding another 30% to our goals scored on the weekend.

I will be skiing at Keystone this weekend with my coworkers and will miss the games. I would like nothing better than to come home Sunday night and read about the Sioux playing at least one complete game on the weekend. Maybe it is just a recurring dream I have been having but on the UND Sports page I would like to see the pictures of Fylling, Massen or Canady as having contributed offensively. If MTU can limit DU to 1 goal over the course of a weekend there is always hope.

I will be skiing at Keystone this weekend with my coworkers and will miss the games.  I would like nothing better than to come home Sunday night and read about the Sioux playing at least one complete game on the weekend.  Maybe it is just a recurring dream I have been having but on the UND Sports page I would like to see the pictures of Fylling, Massen or Canady as having contributed offensively.  If MTU can limit DU to 1 goal over the course of a weekend there is always hope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Break a leg there you fine Canuck. I have not forgotten that fine photo

of you and your lady friend down on the glass of the World Arena a few weeks back. It will be on the wire as soon as I get straight with the wires.

Have fun on the slopes. Sioux sweep. Trust me.

Realistically the ice seems to be tilted towards Denver heading into this one. DU is healthy, playing well, generating a lot of chances and shots, and scoring a lot of goals. They have a goalie who lately is more likely to post a shutout than allow a goal.

The Sioux are the opposite of most of the characteristics listed above. Capping it off, they will be undermanned against a deeper team this weekend. In fact, the main thing in favor of the Sioux is that everything seems stacked against them right now, and it's never that simple in the WCHA.

In addition, DU, while formidable, isn't a perfect team. If MTU can scratch out a win over Denver and UAA can take them to overtime, a Sioux win this weekend doesn't seem too outlandish. But it will take a terrific effort by UND, and a few good bounces. Even with those things, it is hard to picture this very solid and dynamic Denver team getting swept. So I'm expecting and (sadly) even hoping for a split this weekend. A Sioux sweep would be an unexpected bonus, and a Denver sweep would be a crushing disappointment.

I think that sitting Murray, unless he's 100%, is the right answer (and it doesn't sound like there is a question about it any more anyway). With next week off, it makes complete sense to bring him back in two weeks against UAA, and try to get the team geared up for the playoffs. This weekend may be tough, but if you add Murray and McMahon back in, you have a faster, grittier, more potent team on the ice. With or without those guys, I expect close games the rest of the way. Heck, the Sioux have hardly been in a "not close" game all year (just a few each way).

My advice for the Sioux this weekend: win Friday, then you have a chance for the surprise weekend result on Saturday.

Keys to the game:

1. coaching edge: DU

2. scoring edge: DU

3. team health edge: DU

4. special teams edge: DU

5. team defense edge: UND

6. goaltending edge: UND

From the looks of it, we would need our goaltenders to "stand on their heads" to have a chance to win a game. The biggest advantage that UND has is the intangibles, but they have to realize it emotionally.

This is the team that knocked the Sioux out of a trip to the Frozen Four. This is a highly ranked team that UND has not faced. The positive PWR ranking implications is huge for the Sioux.

Mathmatically, it's a DU sweep. Can "Hack" get finally get these guys mentally prepared to come out flying? Hasn't happened yet.

For fun I thought I would see who scored for the Sioux against Denver last year.

UND-1 David Lundbohm (unassisted)

UND-2 Mike Prpich (Colby Genoway, Robbie Bina)

UND-3 Brady Murray (Zach Parise)

UND-4 Mike Prpich (Matt Smaby, Colby Genoway)

UND-5 Chris Porter (unassisted)

UND-6 Robbie Bina (Drew Stafford)

UND-7 Nick Fuher (Brandon Bochenski, Brady Murray)

UND-8 Mike Prpich (Nick Fuher, Drew Stafford)

UND-1 Brandon Bochenski (Zach Parise)

UND-2 Drew Stafford (Colby Genoway, Mike Prpich)

UND-3 Brady Murray (Brandon Bochenski, Zach Parise)

UND-4 Colby Genoway (Chris Porter)

UND-5 Chris Porter (David Lundbohm)

UND-6 Colby Genoway (Mike Prpich, Drew Stafford)

UND-1 Brady Murray (David Lundbohm)

UND-2 Brady Murray (Brandon Bochenski, Zach Parise)

UND-3 Brandon Bochenski (Colby Genoway, Zach Parise)

UND-4 David Lundbohm (Andy Schneider, Nick Fuher)

UND-5 David Lundbohm (Chris Porter, James Massen)

UND-6 Zach Parise (Brandon Bochenski, Andy Schneider)

UND-1 Zach Parise (unassisted)

There are an awful lot of names on the list that are still on the team this year. Here are the scoring leaders summarized from the above list:

2-5-7 Parise

2-4-6 Bochenski

2-4-6 Genoway

3-2-5 Lundbohm

3-2-5 Prpich

4-1-5 Murray

2-2-4 Porter (look! an assist!)

1-3-4 Stafford

1-2-3 Fuher

1-1-2 Bina

0-2-2 Schneider

0-1-1 Smaby

0-1-1 Massen

These guys are plenty capable of scoring. They've just ... forgotten?

I hate to say it but I don't think the Sioux have much of a shot this week against Denver. With the way the Sioux have played it is hard to see them winning or tying a team like Denver. When you look at Denver they are so spread out in scoring. Sioux-per Villain gave UND the defensive edge in the matchup but I think that Denver takes that as well. Matt Carle and Brett Skinner are two great defensemen and both may be better than anyone on the Sioux's defense. Gauthier, Stastny, Drummond, Fulghum, and Foster are all solid forwards and score often. Despite UND's edge in goaltending I think that Denver will beat up on the Sioux this weekend unless the Sioux can find a way to contain the superior Denver forwards and defensemen.

The low elevation always seems to affect their lungs... :D

I sure hope you are right about them coming out firing on all cylinders. It would be nice to see the team that dominated CC (with more goals, of course ;) ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There certainly is more pressure on them at lower elevations....... :lol:

Keys to the game:

1. coaching          edge: DU

2. scoring            edge: DU

3. team health    edge: DU

4. special teams  edge: DU

5. team defense  edge: UND

6. goaltending      edge: UND

Last March all of these would have been totally opposite and look what happened.

This is a good time to play Denver because its time for them to have a set back and we are just the team to do it.