SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

On 12/20/2023 at 11:52 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

That would definitely rock the boat. Only RIT, HC and Bentley have the academic standards to move up to the ECAC, but then again with the ivies gone, that may not matter anymore.

This may be wishful thinking, but hopefully the next round of realignment recognizes that the sport is regional and rivalries can't be forced. 

What about Sacred Heart?  I believe they have a med school?

On 12/20/2023 at 11:52 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

That would definitely rock the boat. Only RIT, HC and Bentley have the academic standards to move up to the ECAC, but then again with the ivies gone, that may not matter anymore.

This may be wishful thinking, but hopefully the next round of realignment recognizes that the sport is regional and rivalries can't be forced. 

Perhaps Miami would try to get involved?

6 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The relationship between NCAA and MJ will change soon. All it takes is one player pointing out in a lawsuit that NIL pays much more than the paltry stipend they get, and suddenly you can play NCAA after a full career in MJ. I give it 5 years.

I'm shocked this hasn't happened already.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The relationship between NCAA and MJ will change soon. All it takes is one player pointing out in a lawsuit that NIL pays much more than the paltry stipend they get, and suddenly you can play NCAA after a full career in MJ. I give it 5 years.

The NCAA will come up with some contrived difference, most likely, the stipend is for "sporting performance and play" (sport salary, aka pro) and NIL is for personal appearances and endorsements (name/image/likeness) ... like the two aren't directly linked*. 

*if Gerrell's was looking for an endorsement from a "UND student" here's a hint ... I know the first 26 names they'd approach. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

The NCAA will come up with some contrived difference, most likely, the stipend is for "sporting performance and play" (sport salary, aka pro) and NIL is for personal appearances and endorsements (name/image/likeness) ... like the two aren't directly linked*. 

*if Gerrell's was looking for an endorsement from a "UND student" here's a hint ... I know the first 26 names they'd approach. 

The current Supreme Court does not care what the NCAA thinks or will come up with. 

Good article from Brad on the portal, and how the real portal process begins in January.  Sounds like that is when the player agents start contacting teams to see who might be interested.
Quotes from multiple NCHC coaches:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/hockey-transfer-portal-action-begins-long-before-you-may-think

Sounds like all the coaches are anticipating the number of transfers to decrease substantially once the COVID 5th year option is gone.

I saw that Arizona State added their ACHA D1 goalie to the roster for the rest of the season. Also saw on CHN that Henry Levy is not on the roster, Levy had good numbers in Penticton and pretty much everywhere he has played. Can't find that he left the team, so I'm guessing he red shirted like Homer did last year. 

Alaska leading MTU 2-0 in the 3rd period.
I have a feeling that Alaska is gonna be a couple tough games next weekend.  They play a more defensive game similar to CC...so hopefully the results are better than the CC series.  Plus, UND will be knocking off some rust after the Xmas break.

Hopefully the team got re-focused and re-energized to start the 2nd half.  They have the talent to do some damage this year, but they can't have more series like those stinker games against CC.

45 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Alaska leading MTU 2-0 in the 3rd period.
I have a feeling that Alaska is gonna be a couple tough games next weekend.  They play a more defensive game similar to CC...so hopefully the results are better than the CC series.  Plus, UND will be knocking off some rust after the Xmas break.

Hopefully the team got re-focused and re-energized to start the 2nd half.  They have the talent to do some damage this year, but they can't have more series like those stinker games against CC.

There was an illness running through the locker room and we had some guys banged up. I think they'll be rested and ready to roll next weekend.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There was an illness running through the locker room and we had some guys banged up. I think they'll be rested and ready to roll next weekend.

Hopefully all the injured players are all good as well.  Berry mentioned that Albrecht as well as a couple others were potentially going to be held out against the U18 team for their injuries to heal up.

• Like 1