SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

The family and I attended the CC hockey fan fest today. We got to see them play an intrasquad scrimmage, heard remarks from coach Mayotte, and got to meet the players. Coach Mayotte is a very sincere sounding, yet confident guy. He is very bullish on this year’s squad, particularly the incoming freshman class. 

CC has a freshman from Grand Forks on the roster-Drew Montgomery and we visited a bit. I said to him that I hope coach will include him in the starting lineup at least one of the two games up at the Ralph, I think that would be really cool for him and his family, especially going up against his brother. Nice guy. I asked him, “Do you ever say, “Sioux Yah Yah!”? And he laughed and said, “I USED TO! Not Anymore!” He was a cool kid, good sense of humor. Hoping he’s successful (except against UND lol). 

When chatting with sophomore goalie Kaiden Embereko and another player, I was telling them about the Hrkac Circus and how Tony Hrkac put up 116 points in one season and their jaws just dropped in disbelieve. They thought that was pretty amazing. 

• Upvote 2

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/nchc/bulldog-insider-podcast-matt-zach-and-bruce-preview-the-2023-24-season

Bruce Ciskie is picking the Bulldogs to finish third this season. Homer pick perhaps? I guess he could end up right too. Miami could end up winning the Penrose Cup as well. He also mocked whoever gave UND first place votes in the media poll.

“None of us are the weirdos who voted North Dakota #1 with eight new defensemen and a new goaltender.” He made it clear that none of the three Duluth media guys voted North Dakota number one, he wanted that point made crystal clear.

Zach Schneider is predicting a sixth place finish (I’m guessing ahead of CC and Miami, he didn’t say). Much more statistical analysis to defend his pick than what Ciskie offered up. 

Matt Wellens is predicting the Dogs finishing fifth. With DU, UND, Omaha, and St. Cloud ahead of them. He thinks the goaltending will improve but worries about where the goal scoring will come from. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/nchc/bulldog-insider-podcast-matt-zach-and-bruce-preview-the-2023-24-season

Bruce Ciskie is picking the Bulldogs to finish third this season. Homer pick perhaps? I guess he could end up right too. Miami could end up winning the Penrose Cup as well. He also mocked whoever gave UND first place votes in the media poll.

“None of us are the weirdos who voted North Dakota #1 with eight new defensemen and a new goaltender.” He made it clear that none of the three Duluth media guys voted North Dakota number one, he wanted that point made crystal clear.

Zach Schneider is predicting a sixth place finish (I’m guessing ahead of CC and Miami, he didn’t say). Much more statistical analysis to defend his pick than what Ciskie offered up. 

Matt Wellens is predicting the Dogs finishing fifth. With DU, UND, Omaha, and St. Cloud ahead of them. He thinks the goaltending will improve but worries about where the goal scoring will come from. 

Schneider's high pitched voice is the reason I watch games in Duluth on mute; why on earth would they want him on their podcast?

9 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Schneider's high pitched voice is the reason I watch games in Duluth on mute; why on earth would they want him on their podcast?

When he’s calm he’s fine but yah, any scoring opportunity or goal for the Bulldogs and the guy’s voice goes up about ten octaves. 

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

I would bet that UND has a better shot at winning the league than UMD does at finishing third or higher. :)

• Upvote 1

CHN ranked their top 10 recruiting classes for this year:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/10/02_CHNs-Top-10-Recruiting-Classes.php

UND is listed as a "honorable mention" and only brings up Perron & Livanavage.
I would take our class over a couple of those in the Top 10, especially when you consider that they didn't even mention Wiebe, Emerson, Hedquist, or Benoit.

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

CHN ranked their top 10 recruiting classes for this year:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/10/02_CHNs-Top-10-Recruiting-Classes.php

UND is listed as a "honorable mention" and only brings up Perron & Livanavage.
I would take our class over a couple of those in the Top 10, especially when you consider that they didn't even mention Wiebe, Emerson, Hedquist, or Benoit.

Komzak was in a VGK camp over the summer (with Pyke and Wiebe). They don't give away those slots. Don't sleep on Komzak. He's a late bloomer as was Tucker Poolman. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Godsmack said:

If you're going to make a point, make the whole point: Of 8D and 3G, eleven guys, only G3 ("Cheese") returns. 

All is well in the NCHC.  It's unrealistic to expect NCHC teams to dominate every year. In 2022 the eastern teams were shut out, with Harvard, UMass Lowell and Quinnipiac all exiting before the Frozen Four. It was nothing short of expected that eastern teams would rebound in 2023. The track record for the NCHC is amazing, Going back to 2016, Denver won twice, Minnesota Duluth won twice and UND won once.  2020 didn't count, so the NCHC won five times in the past seven seasons. Given the high level of competition, who could hope for more?

I grew up in TRF, and watched the Sioux play in what was essentially a big quonset in the late 1960's. As life happens, my wife wanted to live where she grew up in Colorado, so we ended up becoming DU fans. The first year we had DU season tickets I pulled for the Sioux, excuse me Fighting Hawks, when UND played at Magness arena. I quickly grew tired of my wife's elbow in my ribs, so got the message and became an avid DU fan.

I figured out last year that we could go to two and a half Colorado Avalanche games for the price of DU season tickets. We can make it from Boulder County to Magness Arena in 45 minutes most of the time. Nearby parking is $10. I-25 is a mile away so getting home is quick too. And, there are myriad restaurants in walking distance of where we park.  Like, a dozen restaurant and watering hole options.  The value in college hockey is incredible for NCHC fans, wherever you live!

DU hockey attendance exceeded 150,000 last year for the first time in history. 21,700 people watched DU play on NCHC.TV.  Season ticket sales were up 15% last season. And, when I look around the league, I see good stories everywhere. Omaha has become very competitive, Colorado College is on the rise, UND, UMD and SC State are as solid as ever.  Western Michigan is ascending too, and Miami is fun to watch and can surprise anyone on any given night.

I hope my Pioneers win it all this year, but the one thing that is guaranteed is that as NCHC fans we will see a lot of fast-paced and passionate college hockey.

3 hours ago, KetoChronos said:

All is well in the NCHC.  It's unrealistic to expect NCHC teams to dominate every year. In 2022 the eastern teams were shut out, with Harvard, UMass Lowell and Quinnipiac all exiting before the Frozen Four. It was nothing short of expected that eastern teams would rebound in 2023. The track record for the NCHC is amazing, Going back to 2016, Denver won twice, Minnesota Duluth won twice and UND won once.  2020 didn't count, so the NCHC won five times in the past seven seasons. Given the high level of competition, who could hope for more?

I grew up in TRF, and watched the Sioux play in what was essentially a big quonset in the late 1960's. As life happens, my wife wanted to live where she grew up in Colorado, so we ended up becoming DU fans. The first year we had DU season tickets I pulled for the Sioux, excuse me Fighting Hawks, when UND played at Magness arena. I quickly grew tired of my wife's elbow in my ribs, so got the message and became an avid DU fan.

I figured out last year that we could go to two and a half Colorado Avalanche games for the price of DU season tickets. We can make it from Boulder County to Magness Arena in 45 minutes most of the time. Nearby parking is $10. I-25 is a mile away so getting home is quick too. And, there are myriad restaurants in walking distance of where we park.  Like, a dozen restaurant and watering hole options.  The value in college hockey is incredible for NCHC fans, wherever you live!

DU hockey attendance exceeded 150,000 last year for the first time in history. 21,700 people watched DU play on NCHC.TV.  Season ticket sales were up 15% last season. And, when I look around the league, I see good stories everywhere. Omaha has become very competitive, Colorado College is on the rise, UND, UMD and SC State are as solid as ever.  Western Michigan is ascending too, and Miami is fun to watch and can surprise anyone on any given night.

I hope my Pioneers win it all this year, but the one thing that is guaranteed is that as NCHC fans we will see a lot of fast-paced and passionate college hockey.

Eloquent post. The NCHC is the best all around conference in all of college hockey!

One thing I found disappointing was the steep increase in single game ticket prices at Magness. I was able to buy the last of the available end tickets for the UND series for $51 a piece. The available seats along the sides all ran for $90 a ticket, face value. I don’t ever recall paying anywhere near that much for a premium series DU ticket. 

I also picked up my tickets for the DU/CC series and those were $58 a piece. Again, significantly higher than I remember paying in the past.

To your points about increased interest in DU hockey, perhaps that’s why they’ve raised ticket prices again; because they can and they know that there are fans out there willing to pay the going rate. 

I’m all about free market capitalism and I can vote with my wallet and feet but $90 a ticket for a college hockey game? Seems a bit high and if it continues on this trajectory, I’m going to reach my tipping point and simply stay home and watch the games on NCHC.tv.

And I’m not trying to single out DU, I would imagine this trend is across most programs as well. Good luck finding a general admission ticket for a CC home game if you’re a visitor fan because there aren’t any; all the seats at Robson are either season ticket holder seats or student section. I know of many CC fans who gladly sell their UND and DU series tickets at jacked up prices on the secondary market to those fan bases. 

On 9/30/2023 at 6:37 PM, Godsmack said:

When chatting with sophomore goalie Kaiden Embereko and another player, I was telling them about the Hrkac Circus and how Tony Hrkac put up 116 points in one season and their jaws just dropped in disbelieve. They thought that was pretty amazing. 

They didn't know there was hockey that long ago.

• Upvote 1