SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Thoughts on UND's FB Program

UND Fan

36 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

No one on forums like this have to provide any information but I wonder about where you are coming from because it seems you feel able to judge someone’s work ethic, their strategies, their abilities etc on regular basis. I’m no better connected and probably not as well connected to UND than many on this forum. I have suggested ways for those who feel left out to get the information they desire or improved connections with UND. 
Maybe you could suggest to me how I can learn about this “philosophy” and the inner workings, including where the emphasis is regarding the different sports and especially your personal observations of this poor work ethic/laziness you keep referring to. 
Like many others on this forum I “do something about it” already.  I find that is a better way to help than the whining, and criticism founded and unfounded.  

Start by asking what are the discrepancies in staff size when you consider staff dedicated to hockey vs FB? What are the hours per week dedicated to each? How many hours are spent organizing football alumni / CC member functions and events around the states of ND and MN? Are CC members even attempted to be contacted to inquire on interest in donating to specific football projects? These are basic questions I’ve already posted. Compare and contrast budgets of hockey and football; any potential change to either upcoming? Any potential changes to leadership for CC, AA, or other staff positions? 

You’ll quickly find out the administration either doesn’t want to answer those questions (perceived interrogation), or, they simply will reveal to you how little they care about football. Both likely replies are beyond disappointing and are futile within the overall landscape of collegiate athletics. 

There’s plenty of time to be proactive this time of the year, hence the assumption of laziness. But again, philosophy also plays a role. 

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

2. Much of the staff is lazy, clueless, disinterested, when it comes to UND football. They do just enough to get by, not enough to ascend the program. That is not the case with hockey. Hockey is given more time, above and beyond.

Let's put names out there and see if you hold to that POV.
I look at UNDAA&F development* staff and I see** former UND ...

• Football 2 (Mannausau, Belmore)
  • MBB 1 (Brekke)
  • WBB 1 (Sussex)
  • Baseball 1 (Dodson coached)
  • Hockey 1 (C Sanderson)

Looks like 5 to 1 other sports to hockey, and two football guys. 

Give Mike or Tim a call and tell them they're clueless about UND Football. And remind them they aren't doing enough. Or are you saying Coltyn Sanderson is outworking five people***?

*The money-askers
**I may have missed someone  
***In the corner for a puck I might believe it

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Relatively speaking, a few golf outings is not enough. Not nearly enough. 

Well on that link is how you can host an event, like Gaukler or Poolman. 
Show us how it's done. 

(I was invited to Poolman's by ... UND. Gasp!) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Let's put names out there and see if you hold to that POV.
I look at UNDAA&F development* staff and I see** former UND ...

• Football 2 (Mannausau, Belmore)
  • MBB 1 (Brekke)
  • WBB 1 (Sussex)
  • Baseball 1 (Dodson coached)
  • Hockey 1 (C Sanderson)

Looks like 5 to 1 other sports to hockey, and two football guys. 

Give Mike or Tim a call and tell them they're clueless about UND Football. And remind them they aren't doing enough. Or are you saying Coltyn Sanderson is outworking five people***?

*The money-askers
**I may have missed someone  
***In the corner for a puck I might believe it

So the distribution of UNDAA&F development staff signifies all? That’s a random metric that falsely projects, or at the least doesn’t prove anything, and it certainly does not answer my questions. The athletic director would be where to start, since philosophy is just as important as number of work-hours put in, but I guarantee you’ll get a canned non-candid response. Hockey pays the bills, due to a Vegas gift, and therefore all other sports are second fiddle with a signifiant drop off.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You said "start by asking what are the discrepancies in staff size."

There it is: 5 to 1. 

That’s not the entirety of the staff. Not even close. From purely athletics standpoint, UND President and AD are starting points, with trickle down effect from there. From AA&F standpoint, a lot of influences beyond the mere 6 staff members you conveniently listed to fit your agenda.

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

... due to a Vegas gift, and therefore all other sports are second fiddle with a signifiant drop off.

And if that gift had gone to football I'd venture we'd hear nary a peep from you. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree it’s our job. Glad you clarified that. Now, will positive change happen and will leaders lead or will the same ol’, same ‘ol continue as is. 

Mentioning deflection ... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And if that gift had gone to football I'd venture we'd hear nary a peep from you. 

If that gift went to football in the late 90s, the entire dynamics of UND athletics (and honestly the entire university) would be completely different, and likely better. 

It’s not about hearing from me, it’s about moving the overall program and university forward. If all you’re gleaning from this is my dedication and principle belief in this, then you’re not carefully considering the concepts, rather just arguing. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Mentioning deflection ... 

so you’re aware, I’m not the president, athletic director, nor am I on the AA&F board. So unless you’re one of those folks, or you want to make a Ralph-sized donation, we’re stuck pending the masses voicing their desires collectively. Right now, there’s a ton of complacency so I don’t see that happening without stirring the fire a bit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, donation-wise, like @iramurphy I'm just President's Circle, not Adelphi like the Engelstad Trust. 

https://undalumni.org/giving-impact/donor-recognition/index.html 

No “just”, still a very important donor category. Back to task at hand, hoping to produce better results for football, with better backing, funding and prioritization, and in turn, produce more following for UND by actually competing with NDSU (not letting them walk all over UND). Focusing on hockey is the “easy button” - NDSU doesn’t even sponsor that.  

58 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Give Mike or Tim a call and tell them they're clueless about UND Football. And remind them they aren't doing enough. Or are you saying Coltyn Sanderson is outworking five people

Wow, incredibly twisted and misplaced. Misinterpret much? 

Again, when you push where it hurts, people start to get personal. Ridiculous, but reaffirms I’m on the right track. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Wow, incredibly twisted and misplaced. Misinterpret much? 

You (quoting) said:
"2. Much of the staff is lazy, clueless, disinterested, when it comes to UND football. They do just enough to get by, not enough to ascend the program."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Relatively speaking, a few golf outings is not enough. Not nearly enough. 

There were literally multiple events held in the Twin Cities yesterday that didn't involve golfing.

47 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s not about hearing from me,

Yet we constantly do.....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, donation-wise, like @iramurphy I'm just President's Circle, not Adelphi like the Engelstad Trust. 

https://undalumni.org/giving-impact/donor-recognition/index.html 

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No “just”, still a very important donor category. Back to task at hand, hoping to produce better results for football, with better backing, funding and prioritization, and in turn, produce more following for UND by actually competing with NDSU (not letting them walk all over UND). Focusing on hockey is the “easy button” - NDSU doesn’t even sponsor that.  

Presidents Circle represents total donations in excess of 36 MILLION.  By my count, 3644 Members x 10K (minimum total donation total of 10K-99K Pres Circle).  Total donations of that level are probably double that or more...  "small" donors are just as important as large donors.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iramurphy said:

What is it these fans would like UND to do?  I’m not going to waste my time looking at Champions Club lists to discern who donates to which sports and whether or not they are happy or disappointed  

If UND doesn't have a software program that helps with the analytics and automatically processes this information for them, this would be one place to start.  There are programs out there that can help to identify different groups of potential donors, or former donors, or sport specific donors, etc.  Are donors who have committed to fundraising drives like the Lets Help Bubba drives on this website being encouraged to join the champions club if they aren't cc members, for example?  Much of this could be processed by software, and select groups of people could be sent information that is more tailored specifically to them (former donors, donors that have decreased their donations but still donate, donors that increased donations over prior years, etc.)  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

You (quoting) said:
"2. Much of the staff is lazy, clueless, disinterested, when it comes to UND football. They do just enough to get by, not enough to ascend the program."

To quote the entire piece:

Much of the staff is lazy, clueless, disinterested, when it comes to UND football. They do just enough to get by, not enough to ascend the program. That is not the case with hockey. Hockey is given more time, above and beyond. There are several champion club members (some of 10+ years) that are never contacted or communicated with. If they were appreciated, they would potentially donate more. Why aren’t they contacted? Laziness and/or lack of departmental philosophy/vision; hence those descriptors being used. These “small fish” are ignored just so administrators can make the same phone calls again and again to large donors only to be said no to on numerous occasions. You should be able to visualize the issue now, I hope. Recognize the FB supporters and search for more. 

“much of” certainly does not mean everybody, particularly the specific names that you provided. That is where the misplaced and misinterpreted comments came from. Implying that I am specifically calling out certain individuals is uncalled for. Also, departmental leadership and philosophy is at play here, so don’t hyper-focus on the work ethic piece. 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, it's our job. 

Amen….organizing weekly events (and sometimes a couple of events in different cities in one week) is a LOT LOT of work. I certainly respect the job they are found and thanks Sickota for the link. I don’t golf….sorry.

I have organized registered nurse workshops and trainings for decades. Now retired, I help with community events through a non-profit. Someone who openly criticizes these efforts has never walked the walk.  NEVER. And probably couldn’t do it if he had to. I have to quit reading this stuff.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Implying that I am specifically calling out certain individuals is uncalled for. Also, departmental leadership and philosophy is at play here, so don’t hyper-focus on the work ethic piece. 

Not calling out individuals ... then call out "departmental leadership" (implicitly Chaves or Carlson-Zink). 

• Upvote 1