SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League post season tourney format

SIOUXFAN97

Should the Summit League switch Postseason tourney to all games on campus (Big10 model)   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Summit League switch Postseason tourney to all games on campus?

Just now, Dustin said:

I think the Summit has a good thing going in Sioux Falls. I’d like to check it out sometime, particularly in a year when UND has a chance to dance. 

I also love that Midco can broadcast the entire tournament, save for the championship games. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I think the Summit has a good thing going in Sioux Falls. I’d like to check it out sometime, particularly in a year when UND has a chance to dance. 

Its very fun when you have a decent team and can make the drive 

Big 10 has their tournament at one site.  Because it works much better logistically for every team to be at one site.  If you are meaning like the B1G hockey tournament, they aren't going to spread a basketball tournament with 10 teams over 3 weekends.  This is the dumbest poll I have seen on this site.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I'll give you 57,165 reasons why the Summit League isn't leaving Sioux Falls.  :D

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-com-original/57165-attend-expanded-summit-league-tournament/

misleading......that's mens's and women's combined.

45 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Big 10 has their tournament at one site.  Because it works much better logistically for every team to be at one site.  If you are meaning like the B1G hockey tournament, they aren't going to spread a basketball tournament with 10 teams over 3 weekends.  This is the dumbest poll I have seen on this site.  

Only would take two weekends........

Round one thursday march 2nd or friday march 3rd

ndsu v omaha in fargo

st thomas v und in st paul

western illinois v denver in macomb

usd v kc in vermillion

Round two saturday march 4th or sunday march 5th

western illinois v omaha in macomb

usd v und in vermillion

Round three friday march 10th

oral roberts v omaha in tulsa ( or sioux falls or...highest bidder?...st paul, minny, des moines, denver, REA, las vegas, phoenix...)

sdsu v und in tulsa

Round four saturday march 11th

oral roberts v und in tulsa ( or sioux falls or...highest bidder?...st paul, minny, des moines, denver, REA, las vegas, phoenix...)

42 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I'll give you 57,165 reasons why the Summit League isn't leaving Sioux Falls.  :D

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-com-original/57165-attend-expanded-summit-league-tournament/

So the men's side drew 30k

So...

NDSU v Omaha attendance 6k

St Thomas v UND attendance 2k (new 5k arena coming in St Paul soon)

Western Illinois v Denver attendance 5k

South Dakota v KC attendance 6k

Then....

Western Illinois v Omaha attendance 5k

South Dakota v North Dakota attendance 6k

Then...

Oral Roberts v Omaha attendance 11k

South Dakota State v North Dakota attendance 5k?

Then...

Oral Roberts v North Dakota attendance 11k

So....55k is bigger than 30k

Plus...

What if UND hosted NDSU, SDSU, or USD and had the game at REA....10k instead of 3k?

Same thing with NDSU... Fargo Dome instead of Scheels...10k instead of 6k?

Same thing with Oral Roberts... How many fans could they get for two games at the BOK Center?

SDSU and USD could use the Denny if they wanted...

St Thomas could use the X or Target Center

46 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

So the men's side drew 30k

So...

NDSU v Omaha attendance 6k

St Thomas v UND attendance 2k (new 5k arena coming in St Paul soon)

Western Illinois v Denver attendance 5k

South Dakota v KC attendance 6k

Then....

Western Illinois v Omaha attendance 5k

South Dakota v North Dakota attendance 6k

Then...

Oral Roberts v Omaha attendance 11k

South Dakota State v North Dakota attendance 5k?

Then...

Oral Roberts v North Dakota attendance 11k

So....55k is bigger than 30k

Plus...

What if UND hosted NDSU, SDSU, or USD and had the game at REA....10k instead of 3k?

Same thing with NDSU... Fargo Dome instead of Scheels...10k instead of 6k?

Same thing with Oral Roberts... How many fans could they get for two games at the BOK Center?

SDSU and USD could use the Denny if they wanted...

St Thomas could use the X or Target Center

LOL at those estimates. 

Did Oral Roberts come out flat against Duke bc they were stuck in beautiful cold Sioux Falls, SD for 5 or 6 days instead of being home in Tulsa (then a week later going on the road to Orlando)?

Would Oral Roberts benefited from only having to win two games to win the post season tourney instead of 3?

Moving this tourney from Sioux falls is like when they moved the class b from Bismarck and put it in Fargo, was a stupid move that made it a 400 mile trip for some instead of 225, Bismarck is the only place the class b should be ,they could have the class a in Williston or Minot or GF and most people wouldn’t care

1 minute ago, Kab said:

Moving this tourney from Sioux falls is like when they moved the class b from Bismarck and put it in Fargo, was a stupid move that made it a 400 mile trip for some instead of 225, Bismarck is the only place the class b should be ,they could have the class a in Williston or Minot or GF and most people wouldn’t care

this mentality is maybe why we should still be D2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

did u read the article...4 extra games and attendance was still down...by a lot

image.png.5a68f5568ab958c9a0af36f5d3fcf860.png

Right now, SDSU drives attendance for TSL Tournament Attendance

1)  Men's attendance ranges from 22,500 to 40,000.  

2)  If SDSU is in the championship game attendance ranges from 36,000 to 40,000.

3)  If SDSU is not in championship game attendance ranges from 22,500 to 24,000 for 8 team.  And 31,500 this year for 10 team.

Ladies is stable because USD and SDSU have owned the conference.  Ladies range from 24,500 to 29,000 for 8 teams and 26,000 for 10 team.  2017 is the only year that neither USD/SDSU reached the finals.  Attendance dropped to 21,000.

Based on those numbers with the right teams playing in a 10 team format - Men's 45,000 and Women's 30,000 seems possible and the total would be 75,000.  The bottom seems to be around 50,000.  This year was 57,000.

12 minutes ago, Kab said:

What the hell does your comment have to do with anything or d2, it’s my opinion

suck it up buttercup

calm down buttercup...it's your "this is the way it should be and changing anything sucks" attitude...

class b could and should rotate...maybe not anything more than minot and bismarck but to say "only bismarck" reminds me of people that thought going D1 at UND was stupid

1 minute ago, FSSD said:

image.png.5a68f5568ab958c9a0af36f5d3fcf860.png

Right now, SDSU drives attendance for TSL Tournament Attendance

1)  Men's attendance ranges from 22,500 to 40,000.  

2)  If SDSU is in the championship game attendance ranges from 36,000 to 40,000.

3)  If SDSU is not in championship game attendance ranges from 22,500 to 24,000 for 8 team.  And 31,500 this year for 10 team.

Ladies is stable because USD and SDSU have owned the conference.  Ladies range from 24,500 to 29,000 for 8 teams and 26,000 for 10 team.  2017 is the only year that neither USD/SDSU reached the finals.  Attendance dropped to 21,000.

Based on those numbers with the right teams playing in a 10 team format - Men's 45,000 and Women's 30,000 seems possible and the total would be 75,000.  The bottom seems to be around 50,000.  This year was 57,000.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

calm down buttercup...it's your "this is the way it should be and changing anything sucks" attitude...

class b could and should rotate...maybe not anything more than minot and bismarck but to say "only bismarck" reminds me of people that thought going D1 at UND was stupid

My comment is aimed at why change if it’s going good, in the future it may change with different teams in the summit.

Bismarck is the best venue for class b hands down, I’ve been to Minot and Bismarck tourneys and Minot isn’t close, was at a Fargo tourney and that really sucked.

when you look at good things why change them, would you take the Mcquade out of Bismarck or the golf tourney out of Sioux Falls, the pro fishing in Bismarck was a big hit with the final weighing  in the civic center.some towns just support certain things.

I hope they don’t screw things up like the big sky is doing and having games where those towns really don’t care if the games are there or not.

just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kab said:

My comment is aimed at why change if it’s going good, in the future it may change with different teams in the summit.

Bismarck is the best venue for class b hands down, I’ve been to Minot and Bismarck tourneys and Minot isn’t close, was at a Fargo tourney and that really sucked.

when you look at good things why change them, would you take the Mcquade out of Bismarck or the golf tourney out of Sioux Falls, the pro fishing in Bismarck was a big hit with the final weighing  in the civic center.some towns just support certain things.

I hope they don’t screw things up like the big sky is doing and having games where those towns really don’t care if the games are there or not.

just my 2 cents.

that's the problem...summit loses oral roberts and or kc we get augie and scsu and then we have the ncc2.1 and then you gotta wonder what these last 20 years were for if that happens (hence my mean d2 reference bc there are a lot of und fans that still are pissed that Morningside doesn't come here anymore)

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas

I was simply providing a range for potential attendance based historical numbers.  50,000 to 75,000.  FYI - was snacking on a small handful of walnuts when I read your post.  So, life must be good.

"Based on those numbers with the right teams playing in a 10 team format - Men's 45,000 and Women's 30,000 seems possible and the total would be 75,000.  The bottom seems to be around 50,000.  This year was 57,000."

image.png

4 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I was simply providing a range for potential attendance based historical numbers.  50,000 to 75,000.  FYI - was snacking on a small handful of walnuts when I read your post.  So, life must be good.

"Based on those numbers with the right teams playing in a 10 team format - Men's 45,000 and Women's 30,000 seems possible and the total would be 75,000.  The bottom seems to be around 50,000.  This year was 57,000."

image.png

but (hehe) with my numbers it looks like they could draw 40-60k just for the men's if it was moved on campus (especially if fargo, und, oral roberts and usd/sdsu used larger venues like the fargodome, rea, BOK arena or the denny...

plus instead of one big sponsor (sanford)...each on campus site would have their own...fargo-gate city?  gf-altru  usd/sdsu-sanford  vermillion-donny's burger shack? oral roberts-Williams Companies  ....maybe that makes more money for the sumitt than just one big one (and of course smaller ones too) in sioux falls.

18 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

still waiting for your estimates?

come on...

Since you asked....here's some actual numbers.

Highest attendance for each school this season:
NDSU - 3867 (vs UND)
UND - 2458 (vs NDSU)
Omaha - 4316 (sponsored game, 1100 higher than second highest)
Denver - 1335
UMKC - 1532
WIU - 1681
UST - 2013
SDSU - 4421
USD - 4605 (vs SDSU)
ORU - 8012

Here's what your hypothetical matchups drew during the regular season:
NDSU v Omaha attendance 6k Regular season - 1805
St Thomas v UND attendance 2k (new 5k arena coming in St Paul soon) Regular season - 985
Western Illinois v Denver attendance 5k Regular season - 508
South Dakota v KC attendance 6k Regular season - 2080
Your estimate: 19K       Regular season comps: 5378    

Then....
Western Illinois v Omaha attendance 5k Regular season - 353
South Dakota v North Dakota attendance 6k Regular season - 2416
Your estimate: 11K
       Regular season comps: 2769    

Then...
Oral Roberts v Omaha attendance 11k Regular season - 7846(only holds ~8800)
South Dakota State v North Dakota attendance 5k? Regular season - 1744
Your estimate: 16K
       Regular season comps: 9590   

Then...
Oral Roberts v North Dakota attendance 11k Regular season - 7492

Your estimates: 57,000
           Comparable regular season matchups: 25,229

Even if you take the best attendance from each venue (most of which were rivalry games or hosting ORU), you're still well short of 40,000 attendance.
And you estimate 11,000 for ORU when their arena holds over 2,000 less than that. Based on realistic fan support, especially when visiting teams are going to be traveling on short notice, I'm seeing a hard time being above 30-35,000 in a best case scenario. And it is only getting that high because ORU was pushing 8,000 a game in a historic season and nowhere else is going to get anywhere near that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1