SiouxSports.com Forum

The Frozen Faceoff…may it rest in peace

MafiaMan

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I’ll have to check out a St Thomas game at their high school rink next season and give you all my report.

Saw them play this year. Some of their fans had nothing hoot to say in a game I’m sure they were leading at one point. After calling ASU a team full of rejects. 

They looked bad in both games and surprised they were leading in one of them.

4 hours ago, Big Green said:

St Thomas needs to prove it.  Its not like if the NCHC doesn't invite them they are going somewhere else.  It's basically NCHC or CCHA for them.  They need to prove they have what it takes to play in the NCHC.  As of now they would weaken the league.

So the Summit was wrong to take them? They saw the same potential that I and others see. Getting kicked out of the MIAC was the best thing that could have happened to St. Thomas; their full potential can now be unlocked and unleashed.

In 5 years, St. Thomas will be a factor in Division I hockey. You cannot say the same thing about Miami.

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

In 5 years, St. Thomas will be a factor in Division I hockey. You cannot say the same thing about Miami.

How quickly we forget about Miami's DYNASTY from when they were in the CCHA.  There was even a popular article written about that dynasty.
Hard to imagine St Thomas ever being a dynasty in NCAA hockey.

;) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

How quickly we forget about Miami's DYNASTY from when they were in the CCHA.  There was even a popular article written about that dynasty.

;) 

I think St. Thomas will be more committed to winning than Miami is. The Redhawks haven't been good at anything for quite awhile now. The 2009 Runner-Up finish is a distant memory.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think St. Thomas will be more committed to winning than Miami is. The Redhawks haven't been good at anything for quite awhile now. The 2009 Runner-Up finish is a distant memory.

You are correct, Miami has regressed ever since that runner-up finish and it doesn’t seem like the school cares.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So the Summit was wrong to take them? They saw the same potential that I and others see. Getting kicked out of the MIAC was the best thing that could have happened to St. Thomas; their full potential can now be unlocked and unleashed.

Miami was a factor in Division 1 hockey before joining the NCHC.  As far as st Thomas being a factor I have no idea what happens 5 years from now.  St Thomas is not going to any other conference.  I’d wait and see if they become a top team in CCHA.  Than maybe invite them.  

Also comparing the summit league to Nchc is comparing apples and bowling balls.  NCHC has been the best conference in hockey since it was created.  Summit league is a mid major than will never sniff a national championship.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

;) 

My wife and I laughed and laughed about the dynasty story.  But now there is a connection between St. Thomas and that red dynasty.  Maybe the U of Arizona club team could get elevated to D1 status.  Then bring in UA and ASU.  Let St. Thomas go to another league.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Esoteric said:

My wife and I laughed and laughed about the dynasty story.  But now there is a connection between St. Thomas and that red dynasty.  Maybe the U of Arizona club team could get elevated to D1 status.  Then bring in UA and ASU.  Let St. Thomas go to another league.

Used to watch a YouTube guy, about disappearances. His son,  RIP, played at Miami.... to hear his take on college hockey and the elite program at Miami made me chuckle, inside of course.  No need to be obnoxious.

38 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Wasn't that the game where the puck passed through the goal netting and they played on for a few minutes beforei got straightened out?

Not that I recall. That happened during a Gophers NCAA game sometime in that time frame, if that’s what you’re thinking of. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Still hard to believe they blew that title game against Boston U.  Talk about grabbing defeat out of the jaws of victory.  Oof. 

You are not kidding. With two minutes to go, Miami's win probability had to have been something like 99.9%. It's like UND's heartbreakers to Yale (2010) and Minnesota (2014), except rather than a quick shiv to a vital organ, it's...well, to switch metaphors...it's like a train wreck in slow motion that you can't stop watching. 

• Upvote 2