SiouxSports.com Forum

What Do You Miss Most About the Old REA?

Cratter

No, it's not another, "I miss standing" & "The atmosphere." But what are the small things that you miss? The smell, being crowded in the concourse,being able to walk around the arena (goal laps)?

One of the small things I miss is the Nachos loaded with cheese. The best part was at the end of the row you got to add all the jalapenos you could eat. Me and my buddies would load up and make our mouths burn. :huh: 'Tis was tradition. Good Times.

We use to run out during intermission to the parking lot and pound a couple beers and listen to Hennessy on the radio...It's nice being able to walk up to the concourse and get beers and drink inside, but it's just not the same...

Having the whole student section on top of the ice was awesome....It was pretty nuts during my time at UND, especially 1987.

Having shot hockey photos in both arenas, one thing I really missed about the old Ralph was the plank next to the penalty box that enabled photographers stand and shoot over the glass near center ice. That was always the best place to be. The new Ralph is built with TV in mind. Still photographers got hosed in the design.

Blackheart, that was my time too. Fun times.

Wild crowd, gophers on the ice, finally feeling good on a Saturday night after being hung over all day long....

Stopping after class to watch practice.

Running out between periods to that little white housing complex just to the north for a beer.

Almost being crushed as the crowd surged forward when the doors opened to get into a gopher game.

Tony Hrkac

I miss watching my favorite team get absolutely blitzed in the third period and blow a three goal lead. I miss watching my team take a 19 game unbeaten string into GF and getting destroyed.

On second thought, I like the new place a little better for now. :huh:

I miss watching my favorite team get absolutely blitzed in the third period and blow a three goal lead.  I miss watching my team take a 19 game unbeaten string into GF and getting destroyed.

On second thought, I like the new place a little better for now.  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. :D

On second thought, it could be the beer. :huh:

i like the fact that the sioux play in a palace and have one of the nicest arena's in the world from college to NHL.

oh yeah, i did miss the old ralph as well,as much as anyone but we are not not in the old ralph anymore... are we going to go at this topic again.

FIGHT ON SIOUX................

Rube Bjorkman's gentlemanly ways and quizzicle stares.

All of which led to a half full building, which allowed anyone who wanted to try their hand at hockey photos to sit damned near anywhere and shoot to their heart's content.

Even .500 hockey, or even .370 hockey, is better than no hockey at all.

Let's have all of the current crop of crybabies put this fact in their pipe and smoke it, eh?

i like the fact that the sioux play in a palace and have one of the nicest arena's in the world from college to NHL.

oh yeah, i did miss the old ralph as well,as much as anyone but we are not not in the old ralph anymore... are we going to go at this topic again.

FIGHT ON SIOUX................

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People are just sharing some of their fond memories of the old place, relax a little bit.

People are just sharing some of their fond memories of the old place, relax a little bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Althought the original intent of the thread may have well been fond memories of the rink, NorthDakotaHockey is correct in pointing out that whenever this topic is raised it always degrades into a current team vs past teams whine. For any who lived throught the dark seventies, he is correct in pointing out that there is nothing to cry about unless of course you were in diapers during the timeframe in question!

I miss being able to get me and 7 of my friends into a game with just 2 tickets....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So true, I remember my friends from the Cities would come up for the Gopher series and we would sneak in all but myself and another person (the two with the tickets). Heck, I even did this for my family including my parents and my 3 sisters. My friends and family did get to see a game in the new arena, but I had to pay for their tickets. Still fun though.

What else do I miss about the old REA...

1.) Skipping class on Friday nights to stand in line from 10 AM to 7:30 for the Gopher game. Also did this on Saturday, but did not skip class :huh: Damn, that was fun times standing out there all crowded up drinking to stay warm, ordering a pizza to a place in line, eating "Sioux Championship" ice cream when it was -20 out, and the best part...the rush of the crowd into the arena when they opened "one" door. Ah the memories...

2.) Getting front row seats or at least down close to the ice.

3.) Getting kicked out with two other friends for allegedly throwing a hat on the ice after a Sioux hat-trick. Ok, not that I miss this but seriously. What is wrong with the REA security, old and new? They know nothing about the game of hockey and how fans react.

4.) The student section along with the rest of the arena getting into the cheers...yes the entire arena chanting "Who's he, he sucks !@#$" and all the others.

5.) Watching crazy drunks give the opposite team players a hard time in the penalty box as they could stand and yell over the glass.

6.) The fact that we could pack more fans in that stadium than what it was designed for. Too many people, just slide down the bench and if that didn't work, just find the nearest chica and enjoy :D

7.) Probably the best memory I miss most about it was the game I brought my

family to and sat down in the student section. They had a blast, and the students didn't give a rip.

8.) Tradition...need I say more... :0

Things I miss

- the scoreboard scrolling current league standings

- recognition of the first retired number at UND and our 1980 Olympic Hero

- the friendship broom (bonus points if you even know you competes for it)

- player buttons

- the Siouxper shot at intermission

- a single zamboni

- the old dasher boards (pucks would circle the whole way on the rail)

- going to the john on the season ticket side and being able to hear Dean or Gino make the paint on the walls blister during an intermission

- having the opposing team have to make its way through a mob of Sioux fans

- the old school banners for the WCHA schools

i am relaxed. i loved the old ralph as well. just playing around. relaxation is the key to life!!!!!!!!! great memories at the old ralph when i was little.i just hate it when the threads like this turn into bashing of the new ralph.

FIGHT ON SIOUX

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dressing up for the Halloween games...smuggling a bottle of something in and pouring it into your pop....beating the sh*t out of the Gofers in '87 (5 of 6?)....going to the Spud on Friday afternoon for the pregame and then going early to the game and playing Liar's Dice during warmups...jamming out to the music played during the pregame, it was the same mix tape every time and it rocked (Nazareth, Hair of the Dog)....taking my younger brother to his first game there against MN and literally getting carried in by the crush of people....watching Bobby Joyce score 6 against Tech...yelling at the opposing team from behind the bench and knowing they can hear you because they keep looking up there... :D