SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS CC

AZSIOUX

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from the game and here is my take. It was like watching last years regional final all over again as the Sioux dominated the game start to finish. Even Anderson did a reasonable job. To their credit CC cashed in on the one glaring error inside the blueline when 27 tried to play the puck instead of the man. Fylling had the best scoring chance on a break with Zaba deep in his crease, but unlike the old number nine he shot it right into the CC crest. I can tell you that the lack of goals is getting just as frustrating for the players as it is for the fans. You can see it on all of their faces. It likely contributed to Fuhr getting a major for slashing at the end of the game so he will miss the next one. Also to the credit of the CC Dmen, they do one heck of a job getting their bodies and sticks in the way of scoring chances. Bina gets my vote as the Sioux player of the weekend.

We had a nice alumni get together with the coaches prior to the game and Eades corrected me regarding Murray. It was not a chop that injured him, rather it was the contact in the post game scrum. Like all upper body injuries they are probably waiting for the swelling to go down and we may not know the true extent until the next Coaches show.

Even the CC commentators noticed that the Sioux forecheck doesn't work.  They said something to the effect of "The Sioux cycle the puck well, but no one crashes the net."  That is UND's biggest misfunction, IMO.

UND works the puck into the opponents' end.  They push it around behind the net 2 or 3 times.  A defenseman steals it, and the play goes back the other way.  No shot for UND.  No attempt to throw it to a crashing player in front.

Ineffective forecheck.  Ineffective offense.

Go Sioux.  Fix it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you are describing is not a forecheck. Forechecking is what we do in our offensive zone when the defense has the puck.

I'm sure you just meant our offensive style. :sad:

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

If only talent won hockey games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't help SCCC. :sad::D

"Outplayed" means winning, it doesn't mean losing with an asterisk on the side. WE got outplayed, because WE lost. "Deserve to win" has not an f'ing thing to do with it, this isn't welfare. Score more points than your opponent, and then you "deserve" to win.

This is hockey, not a damn figure skating competition, and it's time to start playing like your season depends on it, because it does. ???;):0

As William Munny so eloquently put just before he blew Little Bill's head off, "Deserve's got nothin to do with it." One of Taz Boy's all time favorite flicks.

Sound's like the boys pushed real hard on a brick wall this weekend. W = F x d = 0 Nm = 0 points for you physics fans.

I see NoDak finishing 5th in the WCHA; and that's home ice for tourney time. I don't blame them for getting swept at the Mile High Club; although holding a team to 3 goals in two nights should give you some points for the weekend. I do get a little chapped remembering the dismal home losses to AA and M-St. Blah! But, this is clearly a talented team; they are a group to be proud of.

I'd like to see more aggressiveness towards the net and less moronic penalties, but that's about it. The loss of Bochenski is what really hurts this squad. Lot's of setup guys but no one to bury the puck. They are just one player away from being in the top 3.

taz always digs da Sioux

As William Munny so eloquently put just before he blew Little Bill's head off, "Deserve's got nothin to do with it."  One of Taz Boy's all time favorite flicks.

Sound's like the boys pushed real hard on a brick wall this weekend.  W = F x d = 0 Nm = 0 points for you physics fans.

I see NoDak finishing 5th in the WCHA; and that's home ice for tourney time.  I don't blame them for getting swept at the Mile High Club; although holding a team to 3 goals in two nights should give you some points for the weekend.  I do get a little chapped remembering the dismal home losses to AA and M-St.  Blah!  But, this is clearly a talented team; they are a group to be proud of.

I'd like to see more aggressiveness towards the net and less moronic penalties, but that's about it.  The loss of Bochenski is what really hurts this squad.  Lot's of setup guys but no one to bury the puck.  They are just one player away from being in the top 3.

taz always digs da Sioux

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree!

I think what is greatly overshadowed by these losses were that there were only 3 mistakes made by the Sioux defense over the weekend. That is VERY good considering how porous their defense was (not saying that it was a problem as they won both games).

I think the big winner this weekend was Phil Lammearoux (I give up on spelling his name. My apologies). He played outstanding. In fact, I think this was the best two games he's played where I can honestly say that I can't think of a single goal that went in that was "weak."

We held CC to 3 goals on the weekend. Minny held CC to only 8 goals. Doesn't that speak a little bit about our defense and our goaltending? Likewise, we gave up 44 shots on goal to CC this weekend vs. 65 that CC shot at Briggs.

Statistically speaking, it says a lot about our defense.

Sound's like the boys pushed real hard on a brick wall this weekend.  W = F x d = 0 Nm = 0 points for you physics fans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um yeah I absolutely can't believe that I just saw that posted on this board. NERD! :sad:;)

I can totally understand your frustrations as the 'Dogs have many of the same issues: so many shots, so few goals, so many fewer wins.

The 'Dogs won last night, and from what I heard, they were really taking it to SC. 5 goals, 2 on the PP and one SH. A near shutout. AND it sounded like they just shook off the MONTH LONG LOSING STREAK (yes folks) and played some real hockey. They sounded like last year's team. They also nearly had a UW-Superior-style brawl at the end. ???

So the 'Dogs might be back. I really wish you guys had gotten a win out of the weekend, just to knock CC down a bit. BUT your team has shown us we DO have a chance. You didn't get blown away or anything. 2-1 and 1-0 losses are still losses, but it showed you can hang with the #1 team.

Also, Mafia Man, 1888? You are OLD, man.

I agree!

I think what is greatly overshadowed by these losses were that there were only 3 mistakes made by the Sioux defense over the weekend. That is VERY good considering how porous their defense was (not saying that it was a problem as they won both games).

I think the big winner this weekend was Phil Lammearoux (I give up on spelling his name. My apologies). He played outstanding. In fact, I think this was the best two games he's played where I can honestly say that I can't think of a single goal that went in that was "weak."

We held CC to 3 goals on the weekend. Minny held CC to only 8 goals. Doesn't that speak a little bit about our defense and our goaltending? Likewise, we gave up 44 shots on goal to CC this weekend vs. 65 that CC shot at Briggs.

Statistically speaking, it says a lot about our defense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it was on the big ice, which should be tougher to defend. I was ??? with the D and :sad: with the O.

I predicted a sweep by the Sioux and they came out on the short end.....twice. The Sioux are for real. They dominated the weekend and the #1 team in the nation all weekend. They deserved a better fate. It will come. Somebody will figure it out sooner or later. One thing though. Why does it always seem that the apposing goalie brings his "A" game everytime the they play the Sioux?

GO SIOUX!

I predicted a sweep by the Sioux and they came out on the short end.....twice. The Sioux are for real. They dominated the weekend and the #1 team in the nation all weekend. They deserved a better fate. It will come. Somebody will figure it out sooner or later. One thing though. Why does it always seem that the apposing goalie brings his "A" game everytime the they play the Sioux?

GO SIOUX!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the "domination" thing is being over-played. Last I checked, scoring goals is a fairly important part of the game. :sad: CC was playing with the lead most of the weekend. Who can say that they wouldn't have found a way to score a couple more if they needed to?

Maybe the Sioux aren't that great at scoring goals. They have a lot of good hockey players, but the team can't seem to put the puck in the net. It has been a consistent issue and I don't think it is a fluke or related to hot goaltending. The highly skilled forwards are almost all freshmen and sophomores. Seniors like Fylling and Massen have made absolutely no contribution to the offense. They don't have a defenseman who will make a big rush or a great play to change a game. I think the Sioux are going to have to win some 2-1 and 1-0 games.

I disagree with your comments about Fylling: he's a constant presence on offense, digging for loose pucks, etc. He has not scored what I had hoped he would (but that tag is applied to the whole team). He missed a back check Friday that cost the game-winner, but his effort on offense should not be criticized.

As to a D-man to lead a rush, I think Schneider and Fuhrer both are trying to carry that torch.

I agree that this team is going to have to find a way to win the 2-1 and 1-0 games. The problem is time is running out.

I'm not criticizing the effort shown by Fylling, Schneider, Fuher, or anyone else. I am criticizing the results.

It seems that it is getting harder to score in hockey at nearly all levels of play. That makes players with "special" offensive skills more important than ever. I think the Sioux have some of those players, but they are young, and perhaps they need a little more help around them. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. I don't have any special insight.

I think the "domination" thing is being over-played. Last I checked, scoring goals is a fairly important part of the game. :sad: CC was playing with the lead most of the weekend. Who can say that they wouldn't have found a way to score a couple more if they needed to?

Maybe the Sioux aren't that great at scoring goals. They have a lot of good hockey players, but the team can't seem to put the puck in the net. It has been a consistent issue and I don't think it is a fluke or related to hot goaltending. The highly skilled forwards are almost all freshmen and sophomores. Seniors like Fylling and Massen have made absolutely no contribution to the offense. They don't have a defenseman who will make a big rush or a great play to change a game. I think the Sioux are going to have to win some 2-1 and 1-0 games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

70 shot attempts to 25 in the Saturday night game for the Sioux and 59 to 40 in the Friday game. I would call that domination. They just didn't have puck luck like cc did. By the way the Sioux are battling all the same ailments and sickness' like every other team is so I'm not buying into that. They'll find a way to put the pauck away. The season is roughly a little bit past the midway point. Lots of time left. The glass is half full. ???

70 shot attempts to 25 in the Saturday night game for the Sioux and 59 to 40 in the Friday game. I would call that domination. They just didn't have puck luck like cc did. By the way the Sioux are battling all the same ailments and sickness' like every other team is so I'm not buying into that. They'll find a way to put the pauck away. The season is roughly a little bit past the midway point. Lots of time left. The glass is half full. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please define "puck luck" for me? :sad:

Question about scoring goals:

Can a team get too focused on putting the puck on net and not focused enough about where the puck is going?

Sioux teams historically have outshot opponents but what I'm wondering about is whether players lose the edge to try and make each shot count.

For example, from what I read about games this weekend it appears we had a player with a breakaway who put the biscuit in the goalies bread basket, not the net. Last week I saw Fleming for the gophers with a bit of space and he aimed his shot in the upper corner stick side and guess what, it went in. I realize sometimes you miss the net on a deal like that but I wonder if we're too focused on just getting the puck at the net. Maybe that's accounts for the puck not getting by the goaltender. The shooter's job must be to not only get off a shot, but try and direct that puck where it has a chance to be successful.

Maybe that already happens. I'm just grasping at straws. There has to be a reason why we can put a lot of shots on goalies consistently without scoring the requisite number of goals.

Please define "puck luck" for me? :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C'mon you know as well as I do there is a certain amount of luck inovolved in any sport. Particularly hockey. I agree with you though, you make your own luck and you have to bury your chances. But the entire game is played at one end of the rink and the net results are 0....I think there is some odd bounces here and there.

Besides all the coaches use that term "puck luck" ???

C'mon you know as well as I do there is a certain amount of luck inovolved in any sport. Particularly hockey. I agree with you though, you make your own luck and you have to bury your chances. But the entire game is played at one end of the rink and the net results are 0....I think there is some odd bounces here and there.

Besides all the coaches use that term "puck luck" ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does anyone remember back in the early days of football, when teams would have a football shaped patch sewn into their jersey??? maybe it's just me, but do the opposing goalies all have a patch of white 'x' sewn into the front of their jersey's?? i have never seen soooooooooo many shots end up in a goalies belly watching the sioux this year. it's almost as though they confuse the goalies jersey for the back of the net. just a though ???

Sioux7,

You are right on the money. I attended both games. CC took advantage of the few opportunities they had and had great goaltending. The Sioux absolutely dominated Saturdays game, especially the third period. CC must have iced the puck about 15 times. The Sioux had great intensity and effort all weekend. Seeing as the season still has a ways to go, I felt much better about this 1-0 loss than the one to DU that ended last year. We'll be in the mix come March and April.

I thought Fabian played really well this weekend. Worked very hard and their line created a lot of chances and drew a few penalties. A CC fan next to me commented that he thought Fabian was the best player on the ice for the Sioux on Friday. He was shocked when I told him that he rarely dresses.

I thought Fabian played really well this weekend.  Worked very hard and their line created a lot of chances and drew a few penalties.  A CC fan next to me commented that he thought Fabian was the best player on the ice for the Sioux on Friday.  He was shocked when I told him that he rarely dresses.

That's good to hear that our fourth line was generating some chances at CC, now we just need some pucks put in the net.