SiouxSports.com Forum

Go Team Canada

Let'sGoHawks!

I have to say I will be cheering for the Canadians in the gold medal game. I hope they win in a rout. What a bunch of jerks the Russians are. I have never seen anything like their display in 20+ years of watching hockey at all levels. It took great restraint from Team USA to not jump one of those guys.

GO Canada GO!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Canadian fans may cheer against the US, but from everything I've seen they would be in the same class as Gopher fans towards Sioux fans, generally good guys. The Russian players, as well as the Russian coaching staff, are all sacks of sh^t. They have no class whatsoever and acted like a bunch of stuckup jerks. Malkin taunting the bench, Ovechkin taunting the US players, etc.

Cheer for a team that cheers against the USA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cratter,

I think this is a case of cheering for the lesser of two evils. I usually cheer against Canada every chance I get, but this time I will have to side with our neighbors to the north. Those Russian punks don't deserve to wear gold metals. The Canadian fans I have been sitting with are pretty cool. Those jerks in the upper deck cheering against us are exceptions to the rule.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but.....

GO, CANADA, GO!!!

Cratter,

I think this is a case of cheering for the lesser of two evils. I usually cheer against Canada every chance I get, but this time I will have to side with our neighbors to the north. Those Russian punks don't deserve to wear gold metals. The Canadian fans I have been sitting with are pretty cool. Those jerks in the upper deck cheering against us are exceptions to the rule.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but.....

GO, CANADA, GO!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canadians are loved the world over. In fact, you can get better treatment overseas if you say you're Canadian. *Throw in an Eh!, and most Europeans couldn't tell ya apart. * :D:silly:

Rule number one in sportsmanship.... Never go into somebody else's house and act cocky. You never know when they going to get up and toss your ass like a big bouncer tosses a Drunk out into the Public. :D;)

wish all of us Sioux fans (in the "NEW" ralph) could take a lesson or two from the 'hosers!! They're great fans!! (maybe with a "little" less beer intake but that's a topic for another thread!) They remind me of the Sioux crowd at the old ralph....TOTALLY LOYAL and not GIVING A DAMN WHAT ANYONE THINKS ABOUT IT!!! JUST SCREAM BABY!!!!! (and maybe pull a dead gopher out of your coat and chuck it on the ice for good measure!)

Personally, I'm glad the Toqueheads don't do this...they'd be throwing DON CHERRY dolls on the ice left and right! :silly: (since the NHL is not only dead but apparently pulling their "OWN" plug on life support....sad!! ;) )

I totally agree..Russia showed no class...pointing to his name on the back of his jersey..#8 and pullling the front of his jersey at USA bench when he scored the empty net goal...then their bench yipping at the USA bench...classy group of guys...silver better be good enough for you jerks!!!!!

I totally agree..Russia showed no class...pointing to his name on the back of his jersey..#8 and pullling the front of his jersey at USA bench when he scored the empty net goal...then their bench yipping at the USA bench...classy group of guys...silver better be good enough for you jerks!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Re: Ovechkin: It aint cocky when you can back it up with great play. He's the best on the ice whenever he's out there. Malkin is a stud too.

I agree they were cocky, but I'm not so thrilled about cheering for the gang that taunted US fans with "BEL-A-RUS" periodically, and who's fans near the TSN TV booth could think of nothing more creative than lenghty chants of JETS, JETS, JETS to which I wanted to yell,

"Go to Phoenix to watch them if you want."

I'm cheering for Canada though, only because they have a team captain who truly deserves the C on his jersey. Watch him and you' ll see what I mean, and for as much press as Crosby and Bergeron have received the real stars are on the blueline. Those guys don't get beat.

shep

I never thought I'd be cheering for Canada either, but what I watched on TV last night was ridiculous. The "I can't hear you" taunt to the crowd after the third goal, skating by the USA bench and taunting the players, pointing at the scoreboard...it was ridiculous. One of the Team USA players was yelling at a Russian coach on the bench and the coach laughed and pointed to the scoreboard as well. I try to keep in mind that they're 18-20 year old kids. I guess the Russians have been watching too much NBA these days.

Proud of our boys last nite for not going after those commies for all there taunting and showboating.Canada fans may be a little irratating at times,but they are just crazy passionate about there game of hockey.We SIOUX fans could take a few lessons from them.Go kick some commie butt,CANADA!!

I'm hoping for a replay of the 1987 championship game :silly: (Canada and the USSR both DQ'd for a 20 player brawl, the gold was given to the 3rd place team).

I've never seen a team at that level act like that. If my pee-wee players acted like that they would be benched. The Russian coaches were getting into it also. I cannot believe nobody on the US went after them -a tribute to Sandelin and the players for showing they had more class.

From my experience at the games the retarded Canadian fans are the minority, most wanted the US to do well. I will be chearing on the Canadian team, at the same time I hope the Canadian fans in the upper bowel, above 115 (which would be 315 I suppose) fall over the railing in there drunken stupor and all break their legs.

I cannot believe nobody on the US went after them -a tribute to Sandelin and the players for showing they had more class.

We must not have been watching the same game, because from my completely neutral (at least for that game) perspective, that is exactly what happened. The U.S. players - particularly Suter, Dowell and O'Sullivan - became so preoccupied with settling personal scores that they forgot about the one score that mattered. Their were countless "behind the play" incidents that seemingly went unnoticed by fans and referees alike, especially during the final 10 minutes or so.

Are the Russians unbearably cocky? Absolutely. But, in my opinion, it was that kind of emotional unravelling, selfishness and shocking lack of discipline that plagued the U.S. throughout the tournament, and it came to a head in the semi-final.

If U.S. fans and players were so bent out of shape by the actions of the Russians, maybe the team shouldn't have let it get to that point. Perhaps they would've been better served channeling that energy into settling the score where it is best settled: the scoreboard.

And bitch all you want about the big, bad Canadian fans (damn bullies!!!) making light of the U.S. loss to Belarus, but I was appalled at the lack of class shown by the so-called great hockey fans of Grand Forks who took it upon themselves to boo two Russian players while they laid on the ice BLEEDING. Then, on one of those occasions, booing the penalty call when the pool of blood on the ice clearly indicated it was the right call.

Was there an embarrasing amount of diving being conducted by the Russians? Yup. Believe me, that drives me as insane as anybody, but this was clearly not the case in these two instances.

I can understand some getting annoyed at this point by exuberant Canadian fans. I guess it would be kind of like that group of friends you invite to your house to party for the weekend and by the end of the weekend you're tired of their s&!t and you're just ready for them to go home already.

But don't forget, they were still invited in the first place. I find it hard to believe that had Canada lost to Belarus, we as Canadians would not be reminded about it in a constant, ableit good-natured way.

When I was at the Canada game, understandably, I was the only person wearing a USA jersey amongst a sea of Canada jerseys and other clothing (or lack thereof.. some people just painted it on themselves). The two guys I sat next to were really nice to me. Some good natured ribbing, but reminding them about Helsinki and Marc-Andre Fleury seemed to quiet them down a bit.

I loved the part of the game where forecheck was put on the jumbotron and everyone started booing, not because forecheck was getting booed mind you, but I FINALLY had an excuse to stand up and make some noise. After a few seconds of booing forecheck, they were booing me between laughs. I had a blast!

I wish I had a few more USA fans with me so I could start a "You're still bitter" or perhaps Helsinki chant.

They all laughed when I did a small "We're #3" chant :silly:

Anyways, the guy sitting two seats over used to play hockey against Lee Goren, so it was an interesting time comparing him from when he played against Lee (AAA), his college days, and his pro career so far. We also talked about Andy Kollar.

Yeah, there were some classless Canadians there, but the majority of them were quite a blast... at least the majority of the fans sitting in 308.

I guess I didn't have the same experience with Canadian fans that most did. From day one I listened to them chant USA sucks and even to the point where one Canadian fan stood by the exit door saying US sucks to every USA fan that walked out. This was day 1!

Every Canadian fan that sat next to me cheered for whatever team played against the USA. Even yesterday one fan said Go Russia when they were announcing the teams.

After the USA-Russia game my mind wasn't completely made up about who I was going to cheer for, especially after the way the Russian players and coaches acted, until I saw a Canadian walking around the arena still chanting Montoya long after the game was over. Then my mind was made up to cheer for the Russians. I just hope they pull the same antics on Canada that they did on us.

Hey, if you'd rather root for a classless team like Russia just because Canadians fans had the gall to cheer against the team that beat them in the gold medal game the previous year, that's your perogative.

Believe me, Canadians aren't asking for support from the U.S. fans, but it would certainly be a nice gesture and would certainly be accepted. It would make the Ralph a true home ice for one game for Team Canada.

As Sioux fans, you should all know how much fun it is as a visiting fan to try and get under the skin of the fans of the home team. As long as it's done in a tasteful and respectful way - and I believe it has been - you should take it as nothing more than good-natured ribbing.

I, for one, was kind of hoping the REA production crew would throw the ol' Family Guy Peter Griffin "Canada Sucks" clip on the video screen. I would have laughed my ass off. Maybe even the Canadian Bacon "And their beer sucks" scene.

i've been to all but one of the team canada games, and i have to say, them crazy drunk canucks are fun to watch. they are all about the game of hockey, their country, and a box of beer for their hoser buddies. we had one bad experience with two of them screaming in our ears, which was fine until they starting dropping the F-bomb repeatedly. their were plenty of kids around, and there is just no room for that. One big sumbitch sitting near by had two little kids with him and was about to pummel these two canadian fans until they noticed him stand up and give em a look. they continued to yell without the vulgarity. all in all, canadian fans are more what sioux hockey fans should be like, with the stray exceptions, they are all about hockey and their team and will cheer them on no matter what the situation.

F#*k the Russians

Go CANADA, our garage and native neighbour

Go SIOUX

We must not have been watching the same game, because from my completely neutral (at least for that game) perspective, that is exactly what happened. The U.S. players - particularly Suter, Dowell and O'Sullivan - became so preoccupied with settling personal scores that they forgot about the one score that mattered. Their were countless "behind the play" incidents that seemingly went unnoticed by fans and referees alike, especially during the final 10 minutes or so.

Are the Russians unbearably cocky? Absolutely. But, in my opinion, it was that kind of emotional unravelling, selfishness and shocking lack of discipline that plagued the U.S. throughout the tournament, and it came to a head in the semi-final.

If U.S. fans and players were so bent out of shape by the actions of the Russians, maybe the team shouldn't have let it get to that point. Perhaps they would've been better served channeling that energy into settling the score where it is best settled: the scoreboard.

And bitch all you want about the big, bad Canadian fans (damn bullies!!!) making light of the U.S. loss to Belarus, but I was appalled at the lack of class shown by the so-called great hockey fans of Grand Forks who took it upon themselves to boo two Russian players while they laid on the ice BLEEDING. Then, on one of those occasions, booing the penalty call when the pool of blood on the ice clearly indicated it was the right call.

Was there an embarrasing amount of diving being conducted by the Russians? Yup. Believe me, that drives me as insane as anybody, but this was clearly not the case in these two instances.

I can understand some getting annoyed at this point by exuberant Canadian fans. I guess it would be kind of like that group of friends you invite to your house to party for the weekend and by the end of the weekend you're tired of their s&!t and you're just ready for them to go home already.

But don't forget, they were still invited in the first place. I find it hard to believe that had Canada lost to Belarus, we as Canadians would not be reminded about it in a constant, ableit good-natured way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of the points that you make are valid, but several are not. You make reference to the fans booing while the Russian was laying on the ice in a pool of blood is not fair. First, based upon the other dives, the fans incorrectly thought that this was another dive. There was no "pool of blood" on the ice. Granted, there was some a small amount of blood on the ice, but it was not visible until AFTER he got up off of the ice and after the booing took place. He obviously was not hurt too bad because he came out on the next shift. Second, the fans were upset because the officials clearly did not see what happened and yet made a call several minutes after the fact, presumably because the Russian coaches and players made a huge incident about the play. Third, although I did not see the high stick (much like the referees), my 17 year old son did and thought it was a questionable call because it was incidental. O'Sullivan actually was trying to go around the Russian player to get to the puck, and the Russian player stepped into him. Granted, his stick was up, but it certainly did not justify a 4 minute double minor or major, particularly since the referee and linesmen did not see what happened. Finally, it appeared to many US fans that the officials were biased. Keep in mind that the official for the Sweden-US game refused to review a goal that clearly was in, as shown by 3 separate ESPN replays. Additionally, Stafford got high sticked twice in the US-Russia game and no calls were made. There was also a phantom call against Suter right behind the goal where the Russian skater lost an edge and was never touched. I know, it was right in front of me. The Swedish referee made the call while he was out of position, and reacted because he saw the Russian fall.

You also attempt to justify the actions of some of the Canadian fans, which is disingenuous and just after-the-fact spin. The Belarus chants were only part of the lack of class by some of the Canadian fans. Some of the Canadians were clearly cheering for the Czechs, the Russians and anyone else who played the US. I found it to be totally classless, and is not the first time that I experienced this. I attended the playoffs between the Red Wings and the Jets in the final year of the Jets in Winnipeg, and I will never forget the entire arena booing when the US National Anthem was played. It was classless and embarassing, especially considering that the top line for the Jets at the time were Americans. The radio announcers after the game were apologetic and embarassed, but it reflects a very disturbing anti-American sentiment. I had hoped it was just emotions after losing the Jets, but I am starting to wonder.

We have always cheered for the Canadians, and I have many friends from Canada, some of who played for the Sioux hockey team. My son even wore a Canada jersey to every one of the Canadian games. However, he was so upset by the Belarus chants and the other antics that he may cheer for the Russians. I told him that it is only a vocal minority, and I believe that was affirmed by the very classy contingent of older Canadian fans in section 106 who donned T-shirts that said "USA Rocks" during the US-Russia game. I can only hope that they are the majority. Right now, I have mixed feelings whether to cheer for Canada because of its fans or the "cocky" Russians.