SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting News?

siouxcool

I remember a fattie name Arneson that played for SCCC and everyone game him a hard time about his weight and low and behold last season he was playing in the NHL last year with Chicago and doing well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, do we even know if there are any more scholarship spots left for forwards on next year's Sioux team? Could be the Sioux would welcome him as a walkon or partial, but don't have a full scholly to give. Then again they could be like other programs and be holding on to a scholly in hopes of landing a particular player?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call Arnason a shining example of a college-to-NHL player. He was a -13 last season, he got into it with his coach over his work ethic and he left a Swedish team in December(?) w/o playing a game, and The Hockey News published his bar tab after he returned to the US. :D:lol:

Here's a little article on the BCHL with some mentions of Reaney as well as Kozek.

Interesting, the article predicts that Reaney and Kozek will finish 1 and 2 in scoring. This is, however, before Sunday's SA game where Duncan had a 3 point outing in a 3-2 SA win, and now leads the BCHL in goals scored, tied with Kozek for total points. Kozek had 1 goal in a Surrey win. Nice to have two future Sioux battling it out.

Even though Kozek is up there at the top, I'm concerned with his recent slump. Hopefully he can pick it up again. A poster on the USHL board says Kozek is playing selfishly right now. Not passing the puck on 2 on 1's, etc. If that is true, hopefully that's just an indication of his frustration in his scoring slump, and not a character flaw.

The goal he picked up Sunday was his first in 6 games. Hopefully he's working himself out of a slump. In the meantime, he's picked up several assists so hopefully the poster mentioned above is off base.

I wouldn't call Arnason a shining example of a college-to-NHL player.  He was a -13 last season, he got into it with his coach over his work ethic and he left a Swedish team in December(?) w/o playing a game, and The Hockey News published his bar tab after he returned to the US.  :D  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any details on the bar tab that could be released to the viewing public?

Even though Kozek is up there at the top, I'm concerned with his recent slump.  Hopefully he can pick it up again.  A poster on the USHL board says Kozek is playing selfishly right now.  Not passing the puck on 2 on 1's, etc.  If that is true, hopefully that's just an indication of his frustration in his scoring slump, and not a character flaw.

The goal he picked up Sunday was his first in 6 games.  Hopefully he's working himself out of a slump.  In the meantime, he's picked up several assists so hopefully the poster mentioned above is off base.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe that isn't so bad. How many times this year have the Sioux wasted an odd-man scoring opportunity because someone tries a near impossible pass rather than just shooting the puck?

Maybe that isn't so bad.  How many times this year have the Sioux wasted an odd-man scoring opportunity because someone tries a near impossible pass rather than just shooting the puck?

True, sometimes it is just better to take the shot yourself. Sometimes you can catch the goalie leaning for the pass.

With apologies to Will Rogers, I don't think Bochenski ever saw a shot he didn't like. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last season, I recall a stretch where Bochenski scored in three straight games simply by pounding away at the puck in the crease while the goalie was trying to cover it. Bo scored some beauties, but he'd also get the puck in the net any way he could. That probably why he's No. 2 on UND's list of career game-winning goal scorers.

... but he'd also get the puck in the net any way he could.

You mean like put the defenseman on his back, the puck on his stick, and take the whole load to the red pipe and stuff all of it, and the goalie, in the net?

Where is that guy this year?

Dear Sioux players:

Please quit "pulling up" at the dot and looking for the pass.

Take it to the red pipe and jam it home.

If you miss the trailer will "pick up the garbage".

Thank you.

You mean like put the defenseman on his back, the puck on his stick, and take the whole load to the red pipe and stuff all of it, and the goalie, in the net?

Where is that guy this year?

Dear Sioux players:

Please quit "pulling up" at the dot and looking for the pass.

Take it to the red pipe and jam it home.

If you miss the trailer will "pick up the garbage".

Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I never noticed the Sioux EVER doing something like that, Sic, until last year. Bo did it the year before, sure, but this year we don't crash the net. That CC interview was simply a fluke. We don't crash the net at all.

Reaney is older than most of the big time prospects.  I think last year guys like Kyle Greentree that won the BCHL scoring race got to go to places like Alaska Fairbanks.  Why?  Because they might have dominated at the junior level but may have had a deficiency that could hamper them at a higher level of competition.  I remember reading that some of those older, big time scorers had weaknesses with skating, etc that could really hurt their ability to be effective at a D1 level.

If the Sioux are reluctant to offer a kid who's scoring at a high pace, my guess is it has to do with a weakness in his game, or attitude.  I don't know anything about Reaney, so I'm not making any judgements on him.  But there's usually a reason a guy is already 20 years old and no one's knocking his door down.

For what it is worth, here's some info on the last 2 guys who led the regular season in scoring in the BCHL. Both are at Alaska-Fairbanks:

Kyle Greentree, 2003-04 BCHL regular season scoring leader

Birthday 11/15/83 entered college at 20 yrs old, turned 21 in November

2003-04 BCHL scoring stats = 62-53-115 = 1.9 goals per game

2004-05 AF scoring stats 7-12-19 in 24 games

Curt Fraser, 2002-03 BCHL regular season scoring leader

Birthday 4/4/82 entered college at 21 yrs old (as a sophomore is assistant captain)

2002-03 BCHL scoring stats = 53-52-105 = 1.75 ppg

2003-04 AF scoring stats = 12-12-24 in 36 games

2004-05 AF scoring stats = 8-9-17 in 24 games

For comparison:

Travis Zajac, 2003-04 BCHL runner up in scoring

Birthday 5/13/85 entered college at 19. Won't turn 20 until after first season.

2003-04 BCHL scoring stats = 43-69-112 = 1.9 ppg

2004-05 Sioux scoring stats = 12-12-24 in 30 games

• 3 weeks later...

Jared Boll, a big power forward from Lincoln who has been talked about here a little, committed to UMD. Sandy's squad is going to have a nasty disposition.

------------------------------

A player we haven't talked about here is Darcy Zajac at Salmon Arm this year. Here's how his season went:

First 39 games, 3-12-15

Last 21 games, 9-9-18

He was a rookie in the BCHL this year, and I think will play there next year as well. With a September 1986 birthdate, he's already 18. While he apparently doesn't have the talent of his older brother, I wonder if he has begun to play his way onto the Sioux's radar screen.