SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting News?

siouxcool

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything in the local Grand Forks news about Toews commiting to the Sioux?  This is pretty big news I think....anyone?

Grand Forks? No, not that I've seen, but how about the Canadian press:

Toews has accepted a scholarship to North Dakota.

From http://www.prairiesportslink.com/article.aspx?art_id=5973

Will they let him into the country even???  Those posters are cruel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt he will take any heat at all from Canadians. First of all I believe he was drafted by a US team, the TriCity Americans. The rest of the WHL will like the move because they won't have to play against him. His family and friends in Manitoba will like the move because they can come and watch him play on weekends.

Will they let him into the country even???  Those posters are cruel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was only one post that was truly cruel. And that guy was a total idiot anyways.

The majority of them are lamenting about Jonathon not telling the truth regarding his true motives in regards to where he wants to go after graduating high school. They do have a point in some ways, but they are forgetting that people's minds can change and there is more to life than their team. For example, when Sydney Crosby went MJ instead of NCAA it stunk, but I didn't spend hours bashing Canadians and the Major Junior system. Nor did I bash Rimouski or their coach. I shrugged and went on with my life.

Toews scores the game-winning goal and adds an empty-netter as Team Western wins the gold at the world U-17 challenge. He ends up the leading scorer in the tournament.

http://www.prairiesportslink.com/article.aspx?art_id=5979

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is a special player and if he doesn't bring Sioux fans out of their seats nothing will. Oh I forgot, we have to remain seated. :(

Another possible recruit;

Defenseman T.J. Fast visited DU during the Denver Cup and said he will choose among the Pioneers, North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth. Fast is a cousin of former Denver All-America center Paul Comrie. Fast has seven goals and 29 points in 35 games for the Camrose Kodiaks of the Alberta Junior Hockey League.

Another possible recruit;

Defenseman T.J. Fast visited DU during the Denver Cup and said he will choose among the Pioneers, North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth. Fast is a cousin of former Denver All-America center Paul Comrie. Fast has seven goals and 29 points in 35 games for the Camrose Kodiaks of the Alberta Junior Hockey League.

Thanks, Driscoll. Where's this info from?

The note on Fast is interesting to me because, as big as the incoming recruiting class is, I think it is still short one forward and one defenseman.

Up front, UND loses five players to graduation (McMahon, Massen, Canady, Fylling, Genoway), and I feel like they have been one forward short already this year. In addition, there is always risk for some of the higher-profile guys to leave early. With five scheduled to come in (Duncan, Kozek, Watkins, Miller and Toews), I expect to see another commitment. Also, it is possible that Oshie and Vandevelde are viewed as early-departure insurance, able to come a year early if the roster is short.

On defense, UND loses four players, three to graduation (Schneider, Jones and Fuher) and one to an almost certain early departure (Greene). Again, I feel like this year's roster has been borderline short one defenseman, with six and a half plus a rover currently on the roster (The "half" is Bina (height shot) and the rover is Marvin). With three defensemen committed for the fall, at least one more will probably be added.

With Spirko and Prpich among the Sioux's recent Spring recruits, I'm comfortable with the coaches' ability to round up a few gems for the Spring signing period.

The note on Fast is interesting to me because, as big as the incoming recruiting class is, I think it is still short one forward and one defenseman. 

Up front, UND loses five players to graduation (McMahon, Massen, Canady, Fylling, Genoway), and I feel like they have been one forward short already this year.  In addition, there is always risk for some of the higher-profile guys to leave early.  With five scheduled to come in (Duncan, Kozek, Watkins, Miller and Toews), I expect to see another commitment.  Also, it is possible that Oshie and Vandevelde are viewed as early-departure insurance, able to come a year early if the roster is short.

On defense, UND loses four players, three to graduation (Schneider, Jones and Fuher) and one to an almost certain early departure (Greene).  Again, I feel like this year's roster has been borderline short one defenseman, with six and a half plus a rover currently on the roster (The "half" is Bina (height shot) and the rover is Marvin).  With three defensemen committed for the fall, at least one more will probably be added.

With Spirko and Prpich among the Sioux's recent Spring recruits, I'm comfortable with the coaches' ability to round up a few gems for the Spring signing period.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you look at Heisenberg's site, they removed the '06 from Oshie's name. :(

If you look at Heisenberg's site, they removed the '06 from Oshie's name. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might be wrong, but I don't think Heisenberg ever had '06 by Oshie's name. On the other hand, in the official UND press release "Hakstol said it is possible that VandeVelde and Oshie will defer their enrollments at UND until the 2006-07 season."

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mhocke...RELEASE_ID=3367

On defense, UND loses four players, three to graduation (Schneider, Jones and Fuher) and one to an almost certain early departure (Greene).  Again, I feel like this year's roster has been borderline short one defenseman, with six and a half plus a rover currently on the roster (The "half" is Bina (height shot) and the rover is Marvin).  With three defensemen committed for the fall, at least one more will probably be added.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you include Marvin, the current Sioux roster has 9 defensemen:

Jones

Greene

Schneider

Smaby

Fuher

Bina

Radke

Foyt

(Marvin)

Smaby

Bina

Radke

(Marvin)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say that Phil might get a work out if that is his defensemen next season. I might start calling our defensemen pylons... I honestly don't see Foyt with the team next season.

Hardwick? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't seen Hardwick since last year's state tournament. I know there have been concerns about his mobility. My bias is that the Sioux need great skating and puck moving skills from their defensemen if they are to compete successfully with Lucia's Gophers and the other top WCHA teams on big ice surfaces. Wisconsin, CC, and Denver are all bringing in defensemen in this mold.

I'm going to continue to plug Moorhead's Jon Ammerman. I think he is similar to Robbie Bina in a little bigger package with a little more skill. His stock seems to have taken a beating in the past year. He went from "the best sophomore defenseman in the state" according to Lou Nanne and playing for the USA internationally to apparently nowheresville. He's an outstanding skater, very strong for his size, and he's got some sizzle in his game.

I would say that Phil might get a work out if that is his defensemen next season. I might start calling our defensemen pylons... I honestly don't see Foyt with the team next season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the reason that next year is likely to be a rebuilding year (and let's hope for a big second half this season!). Of course, there's these three guys named Lee, Chorney, and Jones coming in next year. While I don't like to count on freshmen defensemen, that group has the potential to have an impact similar to the Goligoski, Hagemo, Peltier trio at Minnesota this year.