SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

8 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I think an even bigger question will be, will Sather let the team get out and run and push the pace like they did at the very end of the season last year or will he make them try play in the half court like he did at the beginning of the season?

You can combat not great shooting by getting out in transition and getting easy, quick buckets. I also would like to see the pick up your man full court type defense as well this year. Think we have plenty of guys that can be a nuisance on defense and get steals that lead to easy buckets as well. The style of play needs to compliment the type of players you have. Hoping that they chose the fast paced, full court defense, and push it in transition style of play. 

Judging by the types of players he's brought in, it leads me to believe they are going to try and play fast and maximize possessions.

16 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I think an even bigger question will be, will Sather let the team get out and run and push the pace like they did at the very end of the season last year or will he make them try play in the half court like he did at the beginning of the season?

You can combat not great shooting by getting out in transition and getting easy, quick buckets. I also would like to see the pick up your man full court type defense as well this year. Think we have plenty of guys that can be a nuisance on defense and get steals that lead to easy buckets as well. The style of play needs to compliment the type of players you have. Hoping that they chose the fast paced, full court defense, and push it in transition style of play. 

I’m not worried about the style of play. I think the players he’s brought in answers that question. For the first time since Marlon I think we’ll have a guy capable of creating buckets for themself in the half court. Shooting is still my biggest concern though 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I’m not worried about the style of play. I think the players he’s brought in answers that question. For the first time since Marlon I think we’ll have a guy capable of creating buckets for themself in the half court. Shooting is still my biggest concern though 

I forgot we had FR for a year after Marlon. I’m sorry Filip

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

It's is interesting thinking about how different this team has a chance to be with a lot of the same guys returning... last year they were one of the worst teams in the country at 2 point %... a lot of that has to do with T not being a great great finisher at the rim... but they almost basically scrapped 2's all together and tried to get up 30-40 3's a game.

This year, the new guys they brought in can "hypothetically" really score at the rim and play fast.

We'll see if they can up the tempo in league games... summit league is one of the slower paced conferences in the country (not 100% sure on that but that's and educated guess, feel free to fact check me hoops, good, buckets)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 7:46 AM, SWSiouxMN said:

The big thing I noticed is that on paper, for the first time in a while, there is some quality depth in the frontcourt.  Now, a lot of that depth needs to be proven of course, but UND has to be feeling a lot better about the 4 and 5 spot in the lineup.  

I still feel that there is enough shooting on the team to help offset the shooter that we lost in Norman.  I think enough internal improvements from Eaglestaff, Omot, T, and Danielson, along with 1-2 newbies/returners who can knock down open shots consistenly, can get the job done.  

T shot 38% from 3 during the conference season.  Can he duplicate that for the entire season?

Eaglestaff was 37% from 3 during the regular season but his conference numbers were lower.  Can he be a consistent shooter all year and be around 40%?

Omot shot 30% from 3, can he get that number up to around 34-36% this year?

Danielson shot 36% from 3, can he do that again this year?

If the answer to those questions are yes... this could be special.  I don't feel UND has to be electric from 3 to be successful this season, they just need to show that they can hit enough shots.  

Even with Norman, the team only shot 35% from 3 all year, which was middle of the pack in the Summit.  It goes down to 33% when you take Norman out.  You guys telling me that, as a team, they can't make up that 2%?

On 8/25/2023 at 8:21 AM, HoopsFan03 said:

You both made good points.  I believe our 3point shooting will be better and the transition game will be quite good with our length, size and speed.  We will compete and be a factor in the tournament.

• Upvote 1

2023-24 North Dakota Summit League Schedule  

Nov. 1 Northland College (exh.)
Nov. 7 @ Iowa
Nov. 12 Elon
Nov. 16 Valley City State
Nov. 20 @ Pacific
Nov. 25 vs. New Orleans
Nov. 26 vs. Eastern Michigan
Nov. 28 Concordia (Minn.)
Dec. 1 @ Cal State Fullerton
Dec. 3 @ UC Riverside
Dec. 9Portland
Dec. 12 Waldorf (Iowa)
Dec. 16 @ Utah Tech
Dec. 20 @ Nebraska

51 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

Nov. 7 @ Iowa
Nov. 12 Elon
Nov. 20 @ Pacific
Nov. 25 vs. New Orleans
Dec. 3 @ UC Riverside
Dec. 9Portland
Dec. 12 Waldorf (Iowa)
Dec. 16 @ Utah Tech
Dec. 20 @ Nebraska

Before everyone gets all fired up about having 4 non D-1's on the schedule- the WIU departure is the major culprit of that.

Also is the Big Sky v Summit Challenge dead then??

8 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Before everyone gets all fired up about having 4 non D-1's on the schedule- the WIU departure is the major culprit of that.

Portland is big sky? 

home schedule meh

too bad we can’t work with ndsu more

1 hour ago, McBuckets said:

Nov. 7 @ Iowa
Nov. 12 Elon
Nov. 20 @ Pacific
Nov. 25 vs. New Orleans
Dec. 3 @ UC Riverside
Dec. 9Portland
Dec. 12 Waldorf (Iowa)
Dec. 16 @ Utah Tech
Dec. 20 @ Nebraska

Would’ve been nice to catch Eastern Michigan last year. Bates vs Omot would’ve been fun to watch 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, McBuckets said:

Nov. 7 @ Iowa
Nov. 12 Elon
Nov. 20 @ Pacific
Nov. 25 vs. New Orleans
Dec. 3 @ UC Riverside
Dec. 9Portland
Dec. 12 Waldorf (Iowa)
Dec. 16 @ Utah Tech
Dec. 20 @ Nebraska

The 3rd home D1 is mixed in with the conference schedule.  You scared me for a second!
Jan 3 (Wed) Northern Colorado, in Grand Forks, N.D.

Couldn't agree more with the comment about working with NDSU.  It appears that we finally started to do that last year with the home games vs  Pacific, and this year vs Portland.  The soccer schedule this year had a few that were coordinated with NDSU, if I recall correctly.  Props to the AD's of both schools for hashing out their differences and working together.  Assuming this continues, scheduling should continue to improve - I may be wrong about this, but it wasn't that long ago that the schedule would have only 1, or maybe 2 home D1 games if we were lucky. 

Easily overlooked is that the basketball program has a pretty soft road schedule when it comes to travel.  With games vs UC Riverside and Fullerton only separated by a couple days, the back to back games in Arkansas, and 7 total non conference home games, it seems the team will be sleeping in their own beds more than in the past.  I don't see any drawn out long road trips.

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

It is still listed on the schedule online, so good news there... jumped the gun!

• 2 weeks later...