2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

Omot shot right at 30%

T shot 34%

Eaglestaff shot 37.5%

Brady 35.8%

Brooks was 2-9

Norman shot 42% on 81 made 3's last year.

So exactly the point. Not a great shooting team and didn't add any good shooters. Worried teams will just pack it in on us not allowing our slashers to create off the dribble. Norman leaving is/was a huge blow to the team and the spacing that he created. He is really going to be missed. 

• Omot - should take a jump but probably will be around that 33-35%
  • TT - is a prototypical 33-34% shooter
  • Treysen - a scorer that can shoot. Probably won't be over 37-38% especially with all the focus on him this year now that Norman is gone. 
  • Brady - if he shoots 35% again this year we are all beyond ecstatic. Career 31% shooter.
  • Brooks - possibly a 30% shooter if he even looks to shoot them this year.
  • Eli King - hasn't played a meaningful college game yet. Wasn't a great shooter in HS. Probably around 30% this year.
  • Deng Mayar - career 19% shooter at the JUCO level....
  • Tyree Ihenacho (if eligible) - career 32% shooter in 3 years at the college level
  • Mara - from what I could find, shot 23% from three in his recent playing season

This is what I'm seeing for shooting ability on the team heading into the season. Obviously, I hope I am very wrong and everyone shoots out of their mind this year!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:
  • Brady - if he shoots 35% again this year we are all beyond ecstatic. Career 31% shooter.

For full disclosure, he shot 36.4% two years ago and 35.8% last year, both above his career average.
With the work he's put in, would be choking to see him fall back near where he was the first two years he was on campus.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

For full disclosure, he shot 36.4% two years ago and 35.8% last year, both above his career average.
With the work he's put in, would be choking to see him fall back near where he was the first two years he was on campus.

You also have to look at how teams guard someone. He’s shooting open,  stand still 3s. Physically incapable of shooting off the dribble. If teams viewed him as a shooter they’d simply run him off the line. There’s a reason the ball seemed to find him late in the shot clock wide open. Matt Norman shooting 41% and Brady D shooting 36% are miles apart in terms of shooting ability 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

You also have to look at how teams guard someone. He’s shooting open,  stand still 3s. Physically incapable of shooting off the dribble. If teams viewed him as a shooter they’d simply run him off the line. There’s a reason the ball seemed to find him late in the shot clock wide open. Matt Norman shooting 41% and Brady D shooting 36% are miles apart in terms of shooting ability 

Generally speaking.... there are not many guys that are high level shooters off the dribble. Since you guys like synergy so much, you would know that most of the time, guards best play type based on Points Per Possession is Catch and shoot 3's.

There aren't many guys in the Summit League, outside of maybe Mayo and McBride that you want shooting 3's off the dribble.

So yes, I don't want Brady shooting 3's off the dribble because then he probably shoots 25% from 3 instead of 35%. I don't really want anyone of our guys shooting 3's off the dribble because it is a lower percentage shot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Generally speaking.... there are not many guys that are high level shooters off the dribble. Since you guys like synergy so much, you would know that most of the time, guards best play type based on Points Per Possession is Catch and shoot 3's.

There aren't many guys in the Summit League, outside of maybe Mayo and McBride that you want shooting 3's off the dribble.

So yes, I don't want Brady shooting 3's off the dribble because then he probably shoots 25% from 3 instead of 35%. I don't really want anyone of our guys shooting 3's off the dribble because it is a lower percentage shot.

No one is talking about Brady D shooting 18 dribble iso 3s. We’re talking simple ability to shoot a one dribble side step 3 after a close out, one dribble coming off a screen when the defense goes under. Brady D shot 8 jump shots last year off the dribble. He made 1 more than me and you. Physically incapable of doing it. Again, watch how teams guard him. Maybe you’re smarter than all the other coaches in the Summit League! 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I love Brady D's energy, heart and drive. When he's on the floor, he is dynamite and makes things happen. So fun to watch. 

u do know that sather (and pretty much brady) have a 35% winning percentage at Nodak?  what the hell has been fun to watch?

sather is lucky to be back and he's done a good job of adding some "potential" studs to this team but brady's time is done.....

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u do know that sather (and pretty much brady) have a 35% winning percentage at Nodak?  what the hell has been fun to watch?

sather is lucky to be back and he's done a good job of adding some "potential" studs to this team but brady's time is done.....

Absolutely agree! Winning is always more fun, no matter who is playing! Hopefully we get more of that this season!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

No one is talking about Brady D shooting 18 dribble iso 3s. We’re talking simple ability to shoot a one dribble side step 3 after a close out, one dribble coming off a screen when the defense goes under. Brady D shot 8 jump shots last year off the dribble. He made 1 more than me and you. Physically incapable of doing it. Again, watch how teams guard him. Maybe you’re smarter than all the other coaches in the Summit League! 

You are arguing with yourself. I don’t think anyone wants Brady shooting a basketball after a dribble… i agree with you. 

there just aren’t many guys that can shoot a high percentage coming off screens, side step, step back 3’s… that’s just a fact.

carry on 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, SD UND said:

You are arguing with yourself. I don’t think anyone wants Brady shooting a basketball after a dribble… i agree with you. 

there just aren’t many guys that can shoot a high percentage coming off screens, side step, step back 3’s… that’s just a fact.

carry on 

My bad, I assumed you saying he shot 36% from 3 meant you thought he could shoot the ball. I should not assume things on the internet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

So exactly the point. Not a great shooting team and didn't add any good shooters. Worried teams will just pack it in on us not allowing our slashers to create off the dribble. Norman leaving is/was a huge blow to the team and the spacing that he created. He is really going to be missed. 

• Omot - should take a jump but probably will be around that 33-35%
  • TT - is a prototypical 33-34% shooter
  • Treysen - a scorer that can shoot. Probably won't be over 37-38% especially with all the focus on him this year now that Norman is gone. 
  • Brooks - possibly a 30% shooter if he even looks to shoot them this year.
  • Eli King - hasn't played a meaningful college game yet. Wasn't a great shooter in HS. Probably around 30% this year.
  • Deng Mayar - career 19% shooter at the JUCO level....
  • Tyree Ihenacho (if eligible) - career 32% shooter in 3 years at the college level
  • Mara - from what I could find, shot 23% from three in his recent playing season

This is what I'm seeing for shooting ability on the team heading into the season. Obviously, I hope I am very wrong and everyone shoots out of their mind this year!!

I'm not sure how anyone like @jdub27 or @SD UND can read this post and decide to talk about Brady D and his ability/non-ability to shoot the ball lol Out of all the possibilities! 

If we're being honest, if UND wants to compete in the Summit, the less minutes for Brady D the better for the team. 

In other news, was nice to see Bentiu Panoam at the fan fest and on staff now. He'll be a nice addition and one that the players like/enjoy being around. Glad he's back with the team!

15 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I'm not sure how anyone like @jdub27 or @SD UND can read this post and decide to talk about Brady D and his ability/non-ability to shoot the ball lol Out of all the possibilities! 

If we're being honest, if UND wants to compete in the Summit, the less minutes for Brady D the better for the team. 

In other news, was nice to see Bentiu Panoam at the fan fest and on staff now. He'll be a nice addition and one that the players like/enjoy being around. Glad he's back with the team!

He should be in the Dustin Hobaugh role

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Stats are stats. His 3 point shooting has improved significantly the last two years. That's all facts that aren't going to change.
No one implied that any of that means he should be leading the team in minutes or 3 pointers shot.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Stats are stats. His 3 point shooting has improved significantly the last two years. That's all facts that aren't going to change.
No one implied that any of that means he should be leading the team in minutes or 3 pointers shot.

Has he improved or the way teams guarded him changed? Stats suggest later statement, eye test backs it up

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You still aren't understanding what I am saying, Jdub. Brady D should be the least of our concern. The whole roster is filled with guys that are 20's to low 30's% three point shooters. Probably won't have a single guy that shoots 40% or higher. That is a very legitimate concern/issue.

Instead, you and buddy @SD UND bring up how Brady D has increased his shooting percentage the past two years?? Who cares! The only reason that happened is because teams don't guard him and 60% of his shots are wide open shot attempts. That is a fact that isn't going to change. 

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

You still aren't understanding what I am saying, Jdub. Brady D should be the least of our concern. The whole roster is filled with guys that are 20's to low 30's% three point shooters. Probably won't have a single guy that shoots 40% or higher. That is a very legitimate concern/issue.

Instead, you and buddy @SD UND bring up how Brady D has increased his shooting percentage the past two years?? Who cares! The only reason that happened is because teams don't guard him and 60% of his shots are wide open shot attempts. That is a fact that isn't going to change. 

Correct, we all understand that shooting is probably going to cost UND a couple games this year because there will be nights where they go 5-25 from 3. Where I think they will be better is scoring in transition and in the paint. Noone is arguing with you that shooting is a concern, because it is. 

Brady will play 20+ minutes a night, not because of his shooting or lack of shooting. He has a great feel on the court, he makes a ton of hustle plays, he makes the right play most of the time, and is no question the leader of this team. 

So yes, UND isn't going to play like they did last year where they hucked up 35+ 3's a night... they're going to have to run more and attack the basket in the full court and the half court and the 30% 3 point shooters are going to have to kick a few wide open 3's in a game.

My guess is you see these 8 a lot assuming Tyree is ineligible

Eli

Brady

Treysen

BJ

Elijah

Deng

T

Amar

It will be important for Trey to continue to shoot at a high percentage and the floor should open up if T can continue to pull 5's out.

29 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Correct, we all understand that shooting is probably going to cost UND a couple games this year because there will be nights where they go 5-25 from 3. Where I think they will be better is scoring in transition and in the paint. Noone is arguing with you that shooting is a concern, because it is. 

Brady will play 20+ minutes a night, not because of his shooting or lack of shooting. He has a great feel on the court, he makes a ton of hustle plays, he makes the right play most of the time, and is no question the leader of this team. 

So yes, UND isn't going to play like they did last year where they hucked up 35+ 3's a night... they're going to have to run more and attack the basket in the full court and the half court and the 30% 3 point shooters are going to have to kick a few wide open 3's in a game.

My guess is you see these 8 a lot assuming Tyree is ineligible

Eli

Brady

Treysen

BJ

Elijah

Deng

T

Amar

It will be important for Trey to continue to shoot at a high percentage and the floor should open up if T can continue to pull 5's out.

Thank you for the response SD and I agree with you that they are going to have to run more in transition and try get easy points that way. That is good from the fans perspective as well as that is fun to watch.

You mentioned better at scoring in the paint. While I agree that on paper and with the better athletes they should be better at scoring in the paint, however, that is where I fear the lack of shooting trickles down and affects this area for UND as well. We don't have a real true back to the basket post up big man so won't get a ton of scoring in the paint that way. (Even if we did, teams would just dig down and not even let the big man make a move). And then with the low shooting, teams will pack it in and not allow for much spacing in the half court for our slashers to create off the dribble.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

I think transition will be huge for this team. The last thing we want is a slow, walk the ball up, half court type of game. This teams needs to get out and run and put pressure on the defense. We have the guys to turn it into a track meet so might as well.

• Like 1

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2023/10/18/mens-basketball-north-dakota-to-appear-on-cbs-sports-network-three-times.aspx

So according to this article, the conference championship will televised by CBS Sports Network.  It used to be on one of the ESPN networks (as were just about every conference that isn't Power 5).  I get CBS Sports but I pay extra for it, so it's not a matter of not being able to watch it, but I do feel like that's a step down in visibility during the hype leading up to selection Sunday.

• Upvote 1