SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky picks UNC

SiouxperDave

That should relieve a lot of the reclassification pressure on UND for a while. The potential for a time-sensitive conference affiliation was really the only thing giving it any immediacy, since the football scholarship reduction now seems unlikely to pass. Given their public statements, it now seems like UND's administration will just continue to keep an eye NDSU's progress and work on improving UND's athletic finances.

IMHO the BSC will be back. By picking UN-C they gain tv exposure it helps promote the BSC. Just think of the Dish-Direct Tv alone !!

Not to mention travel they are the perfect fit for the BSC for now.

IMHO, the BSC would implode should Montana decide they no longer wish to play in the BSC. There seems to be a pattern of come and go in the BSC.So maybe UND did make the right move for now.

I agree Jim, UND is going to bank $$$.

Glad we really don't have any updates like NDSU has in the BSA!! Yikes 7-10 million? :)

I am NOT pleased with Mr. Roebuck. If he grabbed an oar and helped with steering he would spend less time rocking the boat. ???

Gene's quote of."Go D1 all the way not just D1aa" ticks this person who donates $$ to UND off!! I wish he wouldn't thow public tantrums like that.

He is wearing out his welcome in my eyes. He didn't want to play at the New REA he wanted to dump alot of $$ into the OLD Hyslop now he has the Betty and I don't think he is happy yet!! Gene if you are that unhappy at UND well maybe it's time to move on!! :ohmy:Did I say that? :D

Just my .02 ;)

End rant :angry:

That should relieve a lot of the reclassification pressure on UND for a while.  The potential for a time-sensitive conference affiliation was really the only thing giving it any immediacy, since the football scholarship reduction now seems unlikely to pass.  Given their public statements, it now seems like UND's administration will just continue to keep an eye NDSU's progress and work on improving UND's athletic finances.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point Jim...some might call that the prudent approach. I think DI is still in UND's future, but now they can develop a plan and not be forced into rushing anything. Interesting soundbite from Gene Taylor on Fox News tonight with his rationale on why the Big Sky kicked them to the curb besides the geographical issue. Not an exact quote but this was the gist...maybe they (the bsc) were worried we were too good. ???:angry: I can't wait for the Terry Wanless conspiracy theories to start...

Yes, that was kind of a ridiculous comment by Taylor, and I would think the exact same thing had it been said by RT. It's clearly a problem of geography--not of being perceived as too big of a threat competitively.

Exactly. These folks can surely help Mr. Taylor understand the issue.

From a practical point of view:

- SUU has an academic reputation that the BSC presidents chose to not affiliate with

- NDSU and SDSU (and UND) are each 800 miles from the closest BSC school

- UNC is roughly within the present BSC geography

- UNC gives a presence in the Denver media market

- the BSC presidents said they wanted concensus on the decision

There's one easy pick from all that: Northern Colorado. The others could start internal issues and problems (academics, travel) amongst the BSC presidents.

From: http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/10410943.htm

The presidents initially wrote that Northern Colorado is the only institution it will consider at this time, Fullerton said, but then they decided to remove the words "at this time."

Northern Colorado is the only institution it (the BSC) will consider.

Did I just hear a door slam?

Fargo Forum story:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...98&section=news

Now that this news has come out, it looks like the search continues for NDSU and we stay DII for a few more years. With that being said:

--Let's be mature about this now and discuss what is coming up for both schools without bashing or making fun of NDSU cause they didn't get in. Some of the fans on their board have taught us a lesson on how NOT to act when stuff happens to the other school. I am a firm believer in that "Everything Happens for a Reason".

Who knows, in two years we may be going with NDSU to some conference and everything will work out fine. Maybe not. Lets just be Classy about this and see what happens!

Now that this news has come out, it looks like the search continues for NDSU and we stay DII for a few more years.  With that being said:

--Let's be mature about this now and discuss what is coming up for both schools without bashing or making fun of NDSU cause they didn't get in.  Some of the fans on their board have taught us a lesson on how NOT to act when stuff happens to the other school.  I am a firm believer in that "Everything Happens for a Reason".

Who knows, in two years we may be going with NDSU to some conference and everything will work out fine.  Maybe not.  Lets just be Classy about this and see what happens!

I agree. Let's control what we can control.

UND can not control the decisions of a conference.

UND can ensure that its facilities are top-notch, its fiscal house is in order, and that it provides an atmosphere that produces top quality and high performing student-athletes and citizens.

I agree. Let's control what we can control.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UND can also attempt to influence the NCAA to put some sanity back into the reclassification process. Roger Thomas was on the radio this morning talking to Scott Swygman and Hal Gershman about the BSC's decision.

One of the topics Thomas mentioned was a discussion he had with NCAA president Myles Brand a couple months ago about this very subject. As a result of that discussion, Thomas wrote a proposal that he sent to Brand regarding the reclassification issue. I don't doubt that at least some of what Thomas discussed and proposed was reflected in these comments by Brand in Sunday's Grand Forks Herald.

--Let's be mature about this now and discuss what is coming up for both schools without bashing or making fun of NDSU cause they didn't get in.  Some of the fans on their board have taught us a lesson on how NOT to act when stuff happens to the other school.  I am a firm believer in that "Everything Happens for a Reason".

Who knows, in two years we may be going with NDSU to some conference and everything will work out fine.  Maybe not.  Lets just be Classy about this and see what happens!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very good wording UND-1. I think both UND and NDSU fans can agree on this fact. I would eventually like UND and NDSU back in the same conference so we can be roudy in talking about our teams and not have to be this way in talking about conference affiliations and the DI/DII debate.

I am not sure all the "eggs are in one basket" like was mentioned earlier. I think attention may be to the Mid Con now. I for one, did expect things not to go smoothly in the transition for DII to DI. All Bison fans knew this was not an easy process to proceed into but we knew that in the long run it would be best for the school to be in Division I.

NDSU is just in their second year of a five year process of being a full DI member. UNC is in their third year and now appears to have received their DI conference invite. Maybe NDSU and SDSU will get that invite next year at this time.

"Maybe if they weren't on the other side of North Dakota ... . Our league has gone more towards the West Coast. The last time we expanded, we added schools from the West. If you look at our alumni bases and places we recruit, it's all looking west." -- Doug Fullerton, Big Sky Commissioner

Folks, the BSC picked UNC.

Maybe more importantly, they also put out words like "looking west".

If they went to expand again later, why wouldn't they go after the likes of Cal Poly SLO and UC-Davis? The Big Sky is already that far west.

Folks, the BSC picked UNC.

Maybe more importantly, they also put out words like "looking west".

If they went to expand again later, why wouldn't they go after the likes of Cal Poly SLO and UC-Davis? The Big Sky is already that far west.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think Cal Poly and UC-Davis are probably happy with Big West membership. It isn't a football league, and hence their membership in the Great West, but it does have all or nearly all other sports, and is probably a better fit geographically than would be the Big Sky. All but 2 of the Big West's 11 members are California schools.

I would think Cal Poly and UC-Davis are probably happy with Big West membership. It isn't a football league, and hence their membership in the Great West, but it does have all or nearly all other sports, and is probably a better fit geographically than would be the Big Sky.

Will the GWFC survive? With only five they aren't autobid eligible.

Will the GWFC survive? With only five they aren't autobid eligible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if it doesn't survive, I guess the question for UC-Davis and Cal Poly would be whether it's better to retain Big West membership and be independent in football (like Poly was prior to the formation of the Great West), or go to the Big Sky which of course does have football, but would also require far more travel.

i dont even think this is bad news for UND to get to wait a few years. Now there is more time to look at the move up and to it the right way. There will be more time to look at what is best for the insitution, and most importantly will give us a couple of years to build up the finances. There was never any news this past few months, it was just the forum trying to build up a story.

I am not sure all the "eggs are in one basket" like was mentioned earlier.  I think attention may be to the Mid Con now.  I for one, did expect things not to go smoothly in the transition for DII to DI.  All Bison fans knew this was not an easy process to proceed into but we knew that in the long run it would be best for the school to be in Division I. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is Mid-Con the same conference that people have been saying that SDSU would be looking at?

My question for NDSU is this: What if you get in a different conference and the BSC wants to expand again in 5-10 years? Do you go for the BSC again?

I think you're right that NDSU has other options, but they tried all out to get in the BSC and I think that might make other conferences a little nervous about adding NDSU.

i just cant buy anything that the big sky big wigs are sayin i think there is alot more to this then just geography.my one and only question is how can they want to be the number 1 d1aa conference in football yet they have sac state and portland who for all purposes suck they dont draw anybody at all if i remember right there total combined per game attendence average was less the ndsu and unds. to me it would make sense to take (perfect world) unc, sdsu, ndsu and yes UND if they are willing to commit drop portland and sac state. for god sac sac state had under 700 fans avergae for there first bball games.

tell me what you all think thank you

I think the whole deal here is that somehow, some way, UND/NDSU/SDSU/USD will end up in the same conference again sooner rather than later. Whether fans of any of the schools want to admit it or not, there is too much in common and too much of a history between the schools for them to be split up.

The other reality is that the above schools would almost certainly have been in Division I 15 years ago if not for the limiting factor of geography. All of those schools probably "belong" in DI, but when there are so few other DI teams within 500 miles, it's tough to make it happen.

looked around at some of ndsu's "other" conference options - they've been talking Mid-Con for other sports besides football...

Mid Con homepage

OINK OINK!! wow! Can you imagine the buzz when Centenary :angry::) comes to town?? Would it suck when you had to play Oral Roberts?? - even Valpo (who's at least a recognizable DI BB school) is 1-5 in the non-conference season so far this year...wow ??? Paradise doesn't seem to be all it's cracked up to be!