SiouxSports.com Forum

#22 UND visits #18 WMU

brianvf

53 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I watched some of WMU vs UNO. McAllister is a freak. So damn good.

52 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I watched some of WMU vs UNO. McAllister is a freak. So damn good.

The guy seemingly came out of nowhere. He wasn’t on any of the preseason rookie teams or mentions. And now he’s leading the entire country in points by a healthy margin as a freshman. That’s crazy. 

• Upvote 1

If it’s all about tradition and culture of Sioux hockey, I say on the opening face off on Friday night drop the gloves and find a “dance partner” So what if 5 guys from each team have to sit the next night. Won’t hurt our season, he’ll might even put a spark in it

On 12/7/2022 at 2:36 PM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

It’s hard to comprehend 1 in 6 

been a long time since that happened. 

Some would suggest 6-0 during that stretch....well kind of 6-0.......actually not really 6-0.

So much for Kaleb Johnson getting a start in goal...he didn't make the trip.  Neither did Kunz & Brent Johnson.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hoping-history-repeats-itself-as-it-prepares-for-series-at-western-michigan

Nine years ago, UND was in almost an identical spot.

UND was two games under .500 as it made a trip to Western Michigan and Lawson Ice Arena for an early December series, desperately needing to get victories and momentum to salvage the season.

The two-game series was not pretty. UND got outshot both nights, but it found a way to win a pair of 3-2 games.

"There are a lot of guys banged up and working through stuff — everybody's dealing with something — so just give it everything we've got," Jamernik V said. "There's nothing to save it for. We can grind through it. Don't take a single shift off. If we can finish the right way, that'll kind of lead us into the break with a positive mindset, a better mood, and get our second half started on the right foot."

NCHC teams are allowed to bring 23 players on road trips for league games. The four players who did not make the trip to Kalamazoo are forward Jackson Kunz, defenseman Brent Johnson, goalie Kaleb Johnson and injured forward Dane Montgomery, who has yet to play this season.

10 hours ago, brianvf said:

So much for Kaleb Johnson getting a start in goal...he didn't make the trip.  Neither did Kunz & Brent Johnson.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hoping-history-repeats-itself-as-it-prepares-for-series-at-western-michigan

So Kunz goes from top line on a Friday to a suit the next night to not even making this trip. At some point you kind of need to know what your personal can do. Same for Johnson. Two draft picks sitting at home. Throwing something against the wall weekly to see if it sticks lineup wise doesn't work.

12 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They were never going to give Kaleb Johnson his first career start in this kind of situation. If anything he would get a start in the U18 exhibition game and if it goes well, give him a start against Lindenwood. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Friday 4-3 Western

Saturday 6-3 Weatern 

Schloss tweets that UND should be 15-4 after outshooting WMU both nights.  Ciskie immediately retweets.  UND announces new “Gunmetal Grey” NODAK jerseys to be released for sale on 1-1-23.  

Where will that potentially leave UND in the Pairwise?

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

So Kunz goes from top line on a Friday to a suit the next night to not even making this trip. At some point you kind of need to know what your personal can do. Same for Johnson. Two draft picks sitting at home. Throwing something against the wall weekly to see if it sticks lineup wise doesn't work.

You're right the "stuff against the wall approach" is not working. Can't imagine what is going through these kids heads. One game in , next night out, to stay at home...........complete mind game. Locker room has to be an absolute mess.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Friday 4-3 Western

Saturday 6-3 Weatern 

Schloss tweets that UND should be 15-4 after outshooting WMU both nights.  Ciskie immediately retweets.  UND announces new “Gunmetal Grey” NODAK jerseys to be released for sale on 1-1-23.  

Will they go with grey helmets too, like VGK? :) 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

You're right the "stuff against the wall approach" is not working. Can't imagine what is going through these kids heads. One game in , next night out, to stay at home...........complete mind game. Locker room has to be an absolute mess.

So guys at the bottom of the lineup are in sometimes and out others, and this is supposed to be shocking to anyone?  Also, what about merit determining play?  I guess if they just played guys based on draft status and they weren't doing well, then it would at least give forum denizens a new and different thing to complain about.

As for particular players, Costantini was mia for a lot of the season, and deserved a seat.  If we get the post-suit version the rest of the way, who was impressive, I'll be happy to see him in the lineup.

People sometimes think UND looks slow.  Last year I thought if Kunz could get quicker, he could really be something.  It doesn't look to me that he has yet, so I'm not surprised to see him out. Because the team is slower when he's in. 

The point of depth is injury insurance and competition for playing time driving improvement.  But someone has to sit. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Where will that potentially leave UND in the Pairwise?

If Mercyhurst beats Army by a margin of 3 goals or more tonight and Alaska “wins” over Alaska-Anchorage in a shootout on Saturday, the numbers say that UND will be your new #1 on Sunday morning - but that’s assuming UND is wearing the black NODAK jerseys for BOTH games this weekend.  If they wear green once or twice, North Dakota falls to #37.  

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

If Mercyhurst beats Army by a margin of 3 goals or more tonight and Alaska “wins” over Alaska-Anchorage in a shootout on Saturday, the numbers say that UND will be your new #1 on Sunday morning - but that’s assuming UND is wearing the black NODAK jerseys for BOTH games this weekend.

1 hour ago, jk said:

So guys at the bottom of the lineup are in sometimes and out others, and this is supposed to be shocking to anyone?  Also, what about merit determining play?  I guess if they just played guys based on draft status and they weren't doing well, then it would at least give forum denizens a new and different thing to complain about.

As for particular players, Costantini was mia for a lot of the season, and deserved a seat.  If we get the post-suit version the rest of the way, who was impressive, I'll be happy to see him in the lineup.

People sometimes think UND looks slow.  Last year I thought if Kunz could get quicker, he could really be something.  It doesn't look to me that he has yet, so I'm not surprised to see him out. Because the team is slower when he's in. 

The point of depth is injury insurance and competition for playing time driving improvement.  But someone has to sit. 

Captain has been invisible since Gopher series and has looked slow at times, and there are other regulars/returners as well not up to par but are a continued presence in line up.....so it is not just the guys in the bottom of the line up that are at question. Sitting a  vet(s) here and there might be the wake up call this team needs.

My two cents......