SiouxSports.com Forum

Top 5 Team Performances in UND History

und1995

I've been reminiscing tonight and thought it would be fun to rank the top 5 team performances in UND WBB history. These are just my opinion and anyone is welcome to share their own.

1. March 9th 1997, UND vs. NDSU

Need I say more? This game changed the course of the rivalry between the two school's and was the catalyst of UND's threepeat. Tiffany Pudenz led the Sioux and was not going to let UND go down without a fight. Even more importantly, NDSU was the 4 time defending national champion. Beating them at home was big deal.

2. March 22nd 1997, UND vs. Southern Indiana

Hard to put this game second but to finally beat the team down south at their place to get to this game makes this game #2. This game solidified UND's rise to #1 in Division 2 basketball, and to win it all at home at the Hyslop made it even sweeter. Roebuck and crew was able to celebrate in front of their hometown fans and did it in dominant fashion.

3.  March 3rd 1990, UND vs. Augustana

The Sioux win their First NCC Title and their 1st out of 6 in the 1990's. They dominated Augustana and did so with Durene Heisler scoring 38 points and becoming UND's all time leading scorer in the process. 

4. March 10th 1990, UND vs. NDSU

UND showed they were the better team by not only beating NDSU but crushing them 90-58 and win the regional tournament. This game proved that UND was in it to win it for the decade. This was a great catalyst for the rivalry between both schools for the upcoming decade.

5. March 20th 1999, UND vs. Arkansas Tech

I was going back and forth between this game and the national championship game in 1998 but I think winning the 3rd of the threepeat is special and they did it in dominant fashion. This game was the end of the dominance for the North Dakota schools in the NCAA but it was a terribly fun ride. 

So, what do you guys got?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, und1995 said:

I've been reminiscing tonight and thought it would be fun to rank the top 5 team performances in UND WBB history. These are just my opinion and anyone is welcome to share their own.

Need I say more? This game changed the course of the rivalry between the two school's and was the catalyst of UND's threepeat. Tiffany Pudenz led the Sioux and was not going to let UND go down without a fight. Even more importantly, NDSU was the 4 time defending national champion. Beating them at home was big deal.

Hard to put this game second but to finally beat the team down south at their place to get to this game makes this game #2. This game solidified UND's rise to #1 in Division 2 basketball, and to win it all at home at the Hyslop made it even sweeter. Roebuck and crew was able to celebrate in front of their hometown fans and did it in dominant fashion.

The Sioux win their First NCC Title and their 1st out of 6 in the 1990's. They dominated Augustana and did so with Durene Heisler scoring 38 points and becoming UND's all time leading scorer in the process. 

UND showed they were the better team by not only beating NDSU but crushing them 90-58 and win the regional tournament. This game proved that UND was in it to win it for the decade. This was a great catalyst for the rivalry between both schools for the upcoming decade.

I was going back and forth between this game and the national championship game in 1998 but I think winning the 3rd of the threepeat is special and they did it in dominant fashion. This game was the end of the dominance for the North Dakota schools in the NCAA but it was a terribly fun ride. 

I remember UND hosting the final 8 teams that year.  I watched all the first round games and I was blown away with how bad half the field was..  There were only 3 or 4 NCC level teams in the tournament.

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

I remember UND hosting the final 8 teams that year.  I watched all the first round games and I was blown away with how bad half the field was..  There were only 3 or 4 NCC level teams in the tournament.

I remember sitting having a couple cocktails at Dagwood's next to the ESPN crew the night before the game. I want to say it Was Charlie Steiner and Robin Roberts. Robin asked me if I thought UND had a chance against The Mighty Southern Indiana team tomorrow. As usual ESPN had done about 5 minutes of research and saw the S.I.U. had a 29 game winning streak and UND had a few losses so they must be the overwhelming favorite.

Since I had a few Dagwood's mugs full of Captain Morgan in me I told her that if that was going to be their narrative for the game tomorrow they are going to end up looking like they don't have a clue. I said SIU would be lucky to keep it within 20 and that they would be a 5th place team in the NCC and would be 7th in our region. UND was never in any danger of losing and the game was only close in the first half because Crouse only played 3-4 minutes in the first half with foul trouble. UND won by 16 but if not for a couple questionable calls on Crouse they easily win by 25.

• Upvote 4

On 6/11/2022 at 12:01 AM, petey23 said:

I remember sitting having a couple cocktails at Dagwood's next to the ESPN crew the night before the game. I want to say it Was Charlie Steiner and Robin Roberts. Robin asked me if I thought UND had a chance against The Mighty Southern Indiana team tomorrow. As usual ESPN had done about 5 minutes of research and saw the S.I.U. had a 29 game winning streak and UND had a few losses so they must be the overwhelming favorite.

Since I had a few Dagwood's mugs full of Captain Morgan in me I told her that if that was going to be their narrative for the game tomorrow they are going to end up looking like they don't have a clue. I said SIU would be lucky to keep it within 20 and that they would be a 5th place team in the NCC and would be 7th in our region. UND was never in any danger of losing and the game was only close in the first half because Crouse only played 3-4 minutes in the first half with foul trouble. UND won by 16 but if not for a couple questionable calls on Crouse they easily win by 25.

Great story Petey

• Upvote 2

Top 5 are easy.  The order to tougher.  3 National Championships, 1997 Regional Championship and 2014 Big Sky Championship.

I would put in this order

1. 1997 Regional championship.  Only because this game shifted the power on D2 Women's B-Ball to UND.  It was also basically the national championship.

2. 1997 National Championship.  1st one is always the best.

3. 1999 National Championship.  3 peat is tough

4. 1998 National Championship.  National championship>Conference Championships

5 2014 Big Sky Championship.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, und1995 said:

I don't think people understand how huge that March 9th, 1997 Regional Final game in Fargo game was.  NDSU was the 4 time defending National Champions.  They had won 5 of the last 6 to that point.  There were a two point loss in 1992's title game from being the 6 time defending National Champion.  From 1991-1996, the Bison women were 207 - 15.  They were 28-0 in the 96-97 season.  They had won 58 straight games at home at the BSA.  They had beaten the Sioux in 7 straight games.   

And this game changed everything.  UND was down double digits late in the game and overcame that to beat the Bison.  And that win vaulted the program to 3 straight National Championships.  This game was the definition of the changing of the gaurd in the D2 womans basketball dominance.  The biggest win in UND womens basketball history, and its not even close.

• Upvote 4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/10/2022 at 9:52 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

This would be my submission to any top 5 list

March 15, 2014: Big Sky Championship

UND vs Montana

The Lady Griz was considered the gold standard in the Big Sky Conference. With a trip to the NCAA tournament on the line, UND stormed out to a 10-1 lead and never looked back.  The Betty was rocking that day.  4 UND players were in double figures and UND pounded the Lady Griz on the boards.  The day was topped off with Coach Brew showing a few dance moves of his own, dancing with First Lady Marsha Kelley at center court. 

Ahh, I remember that well.  Man, time flies.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One other game that really should be in the top 5 was the win over Emporia in the Elite 8 in Pine Bluff Arkansas - which is kind of a misnomer saying anything is elite in Pine Bluff.  Despite being number 1 in the polls literally all year long, the announcers were giving us no chance whatsoever.  The Kurscaite twins were twin towers destined for the WNBA and would eat us alive.  Jenny Crouse ended that story and Jamie Pudenz and Katie Richards were incredible.  Emporia brought a nice crowd to the game as did UND and the place was electric, unlike the other games where each team brought 20 people to the game.  The game was the semifinal but truly was the championship.  I remember doing the Conga with Gene Roebuck in the hotel bar attached to the arena afterwards.  Truly one of the best UND women’s games I have ever seen.

• Upvote 1