SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the guy to keep beating a dead horse, but on the lost recruit topics from a month or so ago.

Craig Nelson Northern State PG.........from Mayville, ND............as on mentioned earlier is only 30 miles south and 10 off of the interstate.

Through 27 games, 25+ minutes/game.............9+pts/game and 21 TO's. My fifth grade teaching Math skills tell me that is less than one TO per game!!!

He'd look good in Green and White.

Should we hold scholarships?

Should the Men's Basketball team hold scholarships of injured players? We have in the past with the likes of Dale Aue, Ben Jacobson,Mike Bergman, Tyler Koeing, Kieth Parks, Carlo Nobles, Jared Wells ect..(I'm sure I missed some)

We could have 5 full Scholarships next year if we do not hold players scholarships that are injured....Sometimes these players come back and produce sometimes they do not, sometimes they have never played at all...

Should we hold scholarships?

Should the Men's Basketball team hold scholarships of injured players? We have in the past with the likes of Dale Aue, Ben Jacobson,Mike Bergman, Tyler Koeing, Kieth Parks, Carlo Nobles, Jared Wells ect..(I'm sure I missed some)

We could have 5 full Scholarships next year if we do not hold players scholarships that are injured....Sometimes these players come back and produce sometimes they do not, sometimes they have never played at all...

You must be counting Koenig and Bledsoe. Who else?

Just over the years we have held scholarships for various players and some have not panned out???

What is the right thing to do?

Koeing may never play? He will recieve 2 years Men's Basketball scholarship money and occupy a roster spot......Is that fair?

Not just him, But Rich has done this many times in the past...and it costs us players, money, and wins!

Just over the years we have held scholarships for various players and some have not panned out???

What is the right thing to do?

Koeing may never play? He will recieve 2 years Men's Basketball scholarship money and occupy a roster spot......Is that fair?

Not just him, But Rich has done this many times in the past...and it costs us players, money, and wins!

Koenigs knee was messed up bad and I think you're right Coach - he might never play! Nice kid - not his fault but it does hold the program up I think!

Koenigs knee was messed up bad and I think you're right Coach - he might never play! Nice kid - not his fault but it does hold the program up I think!

Koenig may never be back? According to who? Last time I talked with him, he seemed well on track to be more then ready for summer ball. Also, he'll receive a full ride for 3 years since he redshirted this year and will only be a redshirt junior next year.

Tough, tough year. Hopefully the program can get out of it's jinx next year and at least compete more, even if the record is similar. Recruiting has to be addressed though.

This is no jinx!

Rich Glas has to go. If you can settle for mediocrity (oops, not anymore, now we are at the bottom of the league) then he can stay. It has been 11 years since UND won the NCC. We used to be a power. And the league is arguably easier to win with NDSU and SDSU gone.

Rich has lost his recruiting touch. When you have to rely on people like Jacobson to be your leader, you are in trouble. AJ was the biggest whiner I've ever seen. What a lousy attitude. In the old days, even when the Sioux were not on top, it was fun to watch them compete. No more. That is why fans leave after the women's game. It is painful to watch the men play.

Rich has no discipline. A kid can throw the ball away 5 times in a row and Rich will stand there and clap his hands in support. Sit the kid down!

I am afraid UND will move Rich into Bollinger's spot to save face and we'll still have Rev. Richie's BS to deal with.

People walking out on the team is proof enough that the program is dead!

A Sioux fan for over 20 years.

This is no jinx!

Rich Glas has to go. If you can settle for mediocrity (oops, not anymore, now we are at the bottom of the league) then he can stay. It has been 11 years since UND won the NCC. We used to be a power. And the league is arguably easier to win with NDSU and SDSU gone.

Rich has lost his recruiting touch. When you have to rely on people like Jacobson to be your leader, you are in trouble. AJ was the biggest whiner I've ever seen. What a lousy attitude. In the old days, even when the Sioux were not on top, it was fun to watch them compete. No more. That is why fans leave after the women's game. It is painful to watch the men play.

Rich has no discipline. A kid can throw the ball away 5 times in a row and Rich will stand there and clap his hands in support. Sit the kid down!

I am afraid UND will move Rich into Bollinger's spot to save face and we'll still have Rev. Richie's BS to deal with.

Not much arguement from Sioux fans.

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5739

This is no jinx!

You probably have to make a choice--would you rather have Glas move into Bollinger's old job, or would you rather we have to endure another season of he and Herbst running the men's basketball program further into the ground? All signs point to him being back for another season unless he moves over into administration, so I'm definitely hoping for the job change.

You probably have to make a choice--would you rather have Glas move into Bollinger's old job, or would you rather we have to endure another season of he and Herbst running the men's basketball program further into the ground? All signs point to him being back for another season unless he moves over into administration, so I'm definitely hoping for the job change.

No matter what you do, get rid of Herbst.

Anybody care to give some explanation about the "Herbst Hating" :lol:

Looking back at Richie's career, it's my belief that his success and failure have been mostly a function of how good his assistant coaches are/were. With Mac, Richie looked like a coach who was on the fast track to at least a mid-major dI job. With Herbst, Richie looks like a guy who 90-something percent of UND basketball fans want gone. Herbst either hasn't produced in terms of recruiting, or if he has gotten the players, he and Richie haven't been able to cultivate the talent they had into good teams. Either way, Herbst has to shoulder much of the blame for the recent ineptitude of the program.

Herbst either hasn't produced in terms of recruiting, or if he has gotten the players, he and Richie haven't been able to cultivate the talent they had into good teams. Either way, Herbst has to shoulder much of the blame for the recent ineptitude of the program.

Except for recently, seems to me Herbst has produced in terms of recruiting. But no matter, Glas decides who his assistant coaches are, so any blame for the recent ineptitude of the program lies squarely on Glas' shoulders, and not on any assistant coach. The buck stops at Glas, not on Herbst. If Glas goes, Herbst is gone too.

Except for recently, seems to me Herbst has produced in terms of recruiting. But no matter, Glas decides who his assistant coaches are, so any blame for the recent ineptitude of the program lies squarely on Glas' shoulders, and not on any assistant coach. The buck stops at Glas, not on Herbst. If Glas goes, Herbst is gone too.

He's only been at UND for six years, so to me his whole career is considered recent. My understanding is that ex-assistant Riley was responsible for getting Beasley, and he's the one really good recruit over the past several years. True, Allen and Lolar were uber-talented, but I'm not sure whether they were Riley or Herbst finds, and they didn't pan out, anyway. Herbst has/had the reputation as a recruiter, but I'm not seeing the results. I will agree with you that the buck stops with Richie, but I'm not willing to give the guy who's supposedly the primary recruiter a free pass when it comes to how terrible the program is right now. But ultimately, it doesn't really matter how much of the blame is Richie's, and how much is Herbst's. The whole staff need to move on, and the sooner the better.

He's only been at UND for six years, so to me his whole career is considered recent. My understanding is that ex-assistant Riley was responsible for getting Beasley, and he's the one really good recruit over the past several years. True, Allen and Lolar were uber-talented, but I'm not sure whether they were Riley or Herbst finds, and they didn't pan out, anyway. Herbst has/had the reputation as a recruiter, but I'm not seeing the results. I will agree with you that the buck stops with Richie, but I'm not willing to give the guy who's supposedly the primary recruiter a free pass when it comes to how terrible the program is right now. But ultimately, it doesn't really matter how much of the blame is Richie's, and how much is Herbst's. The whole staff need to move on, and the sooner the better.

It is interesting that Riley was able to move on to a DI position, while Herbst has not. :lol: That seems quite telling of who was accomplishing what. BTW, I wasn't necessarily defending Herbst or anything, but just re-emphasizing that Glas is responsible for the whole program, not Herbst.

I thought it was interesting that despite the fact that UND has a limited number of scholarships available for next season (2 or 3?) and will be actively looking for juco players who can play immediately, they are still supposedly in the running for Mr. Basketball Travis Mertens. link. I thought he was going to Lake Region?

'Hating' is a perjorative word.

I believe fans want, if a change is made, a total housecleaning and fresh start. 'Hate' isn't the word; 'change' is.

As for Herbst, don't you think a prospective basketball player would be more likely to sign with the Sioux if the coach LOOKED like a basketball player/coach? Herbst should be recruiting noseguards.