SiouxSports.com Forum

UM @ UND (Saturday)

U2Bad1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The backpatting and whining on both sides of this fight is just plain stupid. Both players are easily replaced and the UND player doesn't even miss a conference game. It was a non-event. I hope both players enjoy their night off they deserve it.

Slow down, I'm trying to take notes.

(scribbling furiously)

Lucy hangs around Mary Oochi. Sue is seen at Ralph's place.

OK, got it. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For those that didn't know I was making light of Don Lucia. I am taking exception with his comments about UND and always being in the middle of the dirty stuff. Implying his team is a bunch of saints... I guess Lucia forgets that UofM players are masters of the face wash and after the wistle crap, or how about people kicking an opposing player with their skate... Rory just decided to make that Gopher player have to take ownership for his actions. Some were suggesting that Rory didn't allow this kid to back out is silly. Here is a novel idea if you don't want to get your butt kicked play with in the rules and stay away from the extra B.S. I am sure that Mike P will hand someone his @$$ before the season is over too...

Every Minnesota fan will jump all over me for this, but Lucia is pretty classless with the comments he makes about UND.

Since he hates the rough stuff, if I was any team I'd make a point to pound on his players. Get him even more ticked off that checking is allowed. Oh wait...the Gophers do check, just from behind. :lol:

Every Minnesota fan will jump all over me for this, but Lucia is pretty classless with the comments he makes about UND. 

Every North Dakota fan will jump all over me for this, but Blais is pretty classless with the comments he makes about UM.

My how times have changed.

Since he hates the rough stuff, if I was any team I'd make a point to pound on his players.  Get him even more ticked off that checking is allowed.  Oh wait...the Gophers do check, just from behind.  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree with that statement. I guess they can be all over you and I.

Oh well.

I finally watched the fight on tape. I will admit that's all I watched. I found it odd that McCrapo and Booger wanted an extra 2 on McMahon. Venalli (?) did come in and bump McMahon first, though this was pretty minor. Venalli was also the first one to put the glove to the face. Now McMahon dropped his gloves first, but it sure took Venalli a while to do the same, even though he tried face washing McMahon who didn't have a helmet. Looked like a couple good ones landed on both sides.

For whoever said that it wasn't as big of a deal for McMahon to fight because it's non conference, I think it's a huge loss. This is a big non-con game (NCAA tourney comparisons) and to make matters worse, we are on the road. This limits the amount of players we can bring. I haven't read anything about McMahon not making the trip, but I think we'll need him against BC and now he can't play.

I finally watched the fight on tape.  I will admit that's all I watched.  I found it odd that McCrapo and Booger wanted an extra 2 on McMahon.  Venalli (?) did come in and bump McMahon first, though this was pretty minor.  Venalli was also the first one to put the glove to the face.  Now McMahon dropped his gloves first, but it sure took Venalli a while to do the same, even though he tried face washing McMahon who didn't have a helmet.  Looked like a couple good ones landed on both sides.

For whoever said that it wasn't as big of a deal for McMahon to fight because it's non conference, I think it's a huge loss.  This is a big non-con game (NCAA tourney comparisons) and to make matters worse, we are on the road.  This limits the amount of players we can bring.  I haven't read anything about McMahon not making the trip, but I think we'll need him against BC and now he can't play.

The Herald says McMahon is on the trip and will play Sat.

I've seen a lot of Sioux-Gophers games in my many years of following Sioux hockey. I even lived in the TC a few years, and thought that I could at least pull for the Gophers (when they weren't playing the Sioux). I found that I could not ever pull for the Gophs (ok, when they played a team from the USSR, I did pull for the Gophs), mainly because of the fan atmosphere. The attitude of the TC people seemed to be one of elitism, like, "If you're not a Gopher, you're not squat." This seemed especially true regarding the other Minnesota University teams (Duluth, St. Cloud, and then Mankato). I now enjoy every game the Gophers lose to those "lesser-thans."

I also know that when Woog was coacing, they were cheap and dirty, especially with their sticks. What can you expect from the former coach of the dirtiest junior hockey team to ever play in Minnesota (St. Paul Vulcans). I was witness to a lot of this in person.

The cheapest Gopher I have seen in recent years was DiMarchi. Expert at running guys from behind, especially with a cross check. It is only by the grace of God that he didn't seriously injure a player in his days with Minnesota. I figured that when he began to play pro, he would either change his ways, or get the beatings of his life (maybe from some former college opponents that remember his operating procedures). I don't know how things have gone for him, but would appreciate any info that people might have about him.

The recent series I witnessed between the Sioux and Gophers was not nearly as physical as some I can remember. The fight was, from what I could see, a "cleanly fought" situation that probably had a lot of things building up to it. Whatever, it's a hockey game and sometimes that happens. At least the opponents were facing each other and knew that the situation was happening, which was not the case in any of the DiMarchi incidents that I saw.

For those that didn't know I was making light of Don Lucia. I am taking exception with his comments about UND and always being in the middle of the dirty stuff. Implying his team is a bunch of saints... I guess Lucia forgets that UofM players are masters of the face wash and after the wistle crap, or how about people kicking an opposing player with their skate... Rory just decided to make that Gopher player have to take ownership for his actions. Some were suggesting that Rory didn't allow this kid to back out is silly. Here is a novel idea if you don't want to get your butt kicked play with in the rules and stay away from the extra B.S. I am sure that Mike P will hand someone his @$$ before the season is over too...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What was wrong about Lucia's comment. North Dakota in the last three years has been involved in more fights (fighting penalties) than any other team in the WCHA. It's not even close.

What was wrong about Lucia's comment. North Dakota in the last three years has been involved in more fights (fighting penalties) than any other team in the WCHA. It's not even close.

I think people are reacting to Lucia's (perceived) righteous indignation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to remember that Lucy played hockey at Notre Dame. If he had played at the U, or another WCHA school, he'd have a better perpsective on the traditional physicality of hockey in this league. I haven't heard any Minnesota players or many of their fans gripe about this too much. :0;)

I haven't been to active on the message board this year simply because I haven't gotten to excited over the Sioux this year. Then I went to the Sat. game against the Gophers and I rekindled my passion for Sioux hockey. Funny, a 0-6 loss made me more excited, but the fight with McMahon and Vanelli got me so pumped up. Rory is my new favorite Sioux player. I am excited for the rest of this season and I hope that the Sioux can turn it up a notch when it is time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's like Sue fans have erased all memory of the Dean Blais years. How many subtle jabs or throw-away punch lines directed at Minnesota were printed in the Grand Forks Herald or were aired during the coach's show? From those that I remember, the jabs were always based in some truth, but were still (in best Bush impression) exaggerations. Looks like Lucia learned from the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't it funny that whenever a denigrating comment about North Dakota is made by a WCHA coach, crap sack Donnie Lucifer is the one who makes it? Check the record over the last three years. It's not even close.

It's like Sue fans have erased all memory of the Dean Blais years. How many subtle jabs or throw-away punch lines directed at Minnesota were printed in the Grand Forks Herald or were aired during the coach's show? From those that I remember, the jabs were always based in some truth, but were still (in best Bush impression) exaggerations. Looks like Lucia learned from the best.

Not at all. Blais made comments as well. Doesn't mean gopher fans couldn't reject their merit or accuracy.

In fact, I think even a few did!