SiouxSports.com Forum

Drake@UND 4pm Potato Bowl USA

F'n Hawks

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think I agree with you.  On a side note, if someone knows or can speculate and cares to elaborate, what effect does using a second QB have on Tommy?  Does it through off his rhythm?  Does it make him think he's not a complete player?  I guess after what happened on Saturday, I'm of the opinion to give Tommy the reigns and let him drive those horses. 

I feel like it probably doesn’t shake Tommy at all. He knows he’s the guy. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think I agree with you.  On a side note, if someone knows or can speculate and cares to elaborate, what effect does using a second QB have on Tommy?  Does it through off his rhythm?  Does it make him think he's not a complete player?  I guess after what happened on Saturday, I'm of the opinion to give Tommy the reigns and let him drive those horses. 

I don't mind a change of pace QB but the player has to be dynamic.  Big(but doesn't appear strong) isn't what I would define as dynamic.  Boltman has proven to be dynamic. (TD run vrs Sam H. for example)

Is Tommy Gun bothered by QV2 reps?  If it puts him into a 2nd and long or 3rd and long he's probably not a fan of the misread 1 yard plunge/fumble.

I was up camping in the mountains this past weekend with no cell service so didn't watch the game, have only seen the highlights so didn't see Q's fumbles.  Sounds like he just lost the ball, not super hard hits or the ball got punched out?  Will be interesting to see how they handle this going forward, if he still gets in as much or if they start putting Boltmann back in on occasion to run the Brockstar.

I think the bad taste in everyone's mouth due to the 5 TO's etc. will be a blessing in disguise.  We got the W and now two weeks for the coaches to chew some butt and get these guys refocused.  Hopefully they come out on fire in two weeks, similar to Utah State game.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I was up camping in the mountains this past weekend with no cell service so didn't watch the game, have only seen the highlights so didn't see Q's fumbles.  Sounds like he just lost the ball, not super hard hits or the ball got punched out?  Will be interesting to see how they handle this going forward, if he still gets in as much or if they start putting Boltmann back in on occasion to run the Brockstar.

I think the bad taste in everyone's mouth due to the 5 TO's etc. will be a blessing in disguise.  We got the W and now two weeks for the coaches to chew some butt and get these guys refocused.  Hopefully they come out on fire in two weeks, similar to Utah State game.  

I was just thinking that teams have not seen film (Brockstar formation) on Boltmann since 2019, so now might be a good time to insert him at QB when the time is right.

Yes, all in all if was about as ugly as blowout win can be, but some of these were correctable mistakes. I'm sure there are some swings in mentality coming off of two road trip, one of which was FBS, to a FBS school, to then come back home and play a team you know you will beat in Drake. Not sure if we looked past this or weren't prepared, but hopefully they refocus, including Otis making sure he is doing what he needs to do to get back on the field AND be a leader.

Re-watched the game and had a few thoughts:

Pros

Zavalney looks good

Defense played great overall. Tons of pressure. Just need to watch those deep shots; that could hurt us in two weeks.

Coley played well

Cons

Schuster was off. Underthrew a bunch of receivers. Threw behind a bunch of receivers. Interception in the redzone to start the 4th was on Tommy.

Vaughn needs to hold on to, and protect, the ball. I believe he said this power run QB thing was new for him, but still have to secure the ball. Any other game and this could have cost us big time. That being said, he won't be playing as much in other games, so hopefully he will figure this out before he is in a position to run and hold the ball more. Otis has had his share of this, I'll assume they will take care of this.

Canady should have had tighter coverage on that deep ball in the 2nd, but backed it up with a nice interception, BUT what was he thinking when he ran it back and cut toward the defender rather than walking it in by the pylon? If he doesn't do that, we score, and the 2nd QV fumble doesn't happen.

I'll take this for what it is; a win. We dominated almost every aspect of the game, despite some BAD turnovers. Even with several bad passes by Tommy he still filled the stat sheet with more good than bad. With a bye week and a chance to heal, clean up some mistakes and refocus, we should be pretty excited about NDSU coming to town. I'm sure the crowd will be far more into it as well. Should be a great time!

• Upvote 1