12 Dartmouth 0-0-0 164 11

13 Colorado College 0-0-0 156 14

14 Cornell 0-0-0 106 13

15 Mass.-Lowell 1-0-0 67 NR

Others Receiving Votes: Colgate 41, Ohio State 17,

St. Cloud State 13, Notre Dame 6, Massachusetts 5,

Northeastern 5, Harvard 4, Northern Michigan 4,

Mercyhurst 2, Bowling Green 1, Nebraska-Omaha 1

Obviously these polls are completely worthless when Maine gets a vote for #1 after losing two at home to the Sioux.

The Sioux may not deserve to be #1 at this point either but I believe by the end of the year they will be a better team then last year. The defense will be better (everyone back with an additional year experience) and I think the offense will be just as good. The loss of Parise and Bochenski hurts but I think will be made up for by the returning guys being more experienced and the addition of the frosh (Zajac, Spirko, and Kaip). In fact, I think the goals will be spread more evenly across all lines which makes it less likely we wll lose a 1-0 game in the playoffs.

This is the year for the Sioux to get #8, their chances decrease significantly next year with all the seniors plus the likelyhood of early departures (Greene and Stafford the most likely).

I can only imagine one small benefit to being ranked highly at this point in time. Usually I hate being ranked #1.

Hakstol's first year as the Head Coach. He's already landed some good recruits. First series and he sweeps a tough team in a tough barn.

Team is ranked #1.

It likely isn't a major deal, but to any new recruit it's gotta look a lot better than if we had been swept and were ranked 8th or 9th.

The early signing period is coming in a month or so?

I can only imagine one small benefit to being ranked highly at this point in time.  Usually I hate being ranked #1.

Hakstol's first year as the Head Coach.  He's already landed some good recruits.  First series and he sweeps a tough team in a tough barn.

Team is ranked #1.

It likely isn't a major deal, but to any new recruit it's gotta look a lot better than if we had been swept and were ranked 8th or 9th. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point Dagies.

It definatly can't hut.

I can only imagine one small benefit to being ranked highly at this point in time.  Usually I hate being ranked #1.

Hakstol's first year as the Head Coach.  He's already landed some good recruits.  First series and he sweeps a tough team in a tough barn.

Team is ranked #1.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dagies, I'm not sniping at you, but your post hits on a lot of the things I have seen the last couple of days by various posters in various threads.

Just under 3 months ago this entire board was up in arms about the hiring of Hakstol, recruiting was going to be tough, tough schedule coming up, players jumping to the pro's, Hakstol had maybe a year to produce - probably had to win the NC this year or he'd be gone and Steve Johnson would probably take over. Here we are today, an exhibition butt kickin', 2 quality wins in a tough barn and a #1 ranking in a poll and now Hakstol is looking pretty good. I want to go on record that I wanted Sandelin, but lurking here, I read what people in and out of the know had to say and I warmed up to the choice of Hakstol, after all, he was Blais' choice, and I hoped for the best. I'm hoping that this is just the begining of many banners to come, just had to comment on how much a fan really knows.

Team is ranked #1.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see your point also, good point, get the recruits and maybe our opponents will look at last weeks results and say hey those guys are good. I think anything other than a sweep in MSU-M is unexceptable. Especially after a sweep at Umaine.

Just under 3 months ago this entire board was up in arms about the hiring of Hakstol, recruiting was going to be tough, tough schedule coming up, players jumping to the pro's, Hakstol had maybe a year to produce - probably had to win the NC this year or he'd be gone and Steve Johnson would probably take over.  Here we are today, an exhibition butt kickin', 2 quality wins in a tough barn and a #1 ranking in a poll and now Hakstol is looking pretty good.  I want to go on record that I wanted Sandelin, but lurking here, I read what people in and out of the know had to say and I warmed up to the choice of Hakstol, after all, he was Blais' choice, and I hoped for the best.  I'm hoping that this is just the begining of many banners to come, just had to comment on how much a fan really knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most posters weren't upset with the actual choice of hakstol. Most posters were upset about the process and the fact that the job wasn't opened up to other people before a decision was made.

I've never understood why we wouldn't want the number 1 ranking. I've seen on other message boards in past years where people say they don't want the #1 target on their back....give it to someone else. Our friends to the East never want the #1 label, they're afraid their players can't handle the pressure of being #1. The alternative to being number 1 is being number 2 or worse. I'll take number one any day. Most Sioux teams are used to carrying the #1 target on their backs. It comes with playing for North Dakota. Guys like Parise, Bochenski, Stafford, Spirko, Murray, Zajac, Panzer, Hakstol, Sandelin, Belfour, Hrkac, Goehring, Johnson, Patrick, Eades, Berry, etc, etc, etc, didn't come to play for the Sioux so they could be #2 or #3......or#10. They came to the top program in the country to be number 1. They want to be #1 from October through April. I say, if other programs want to be #2, #3......#10, let them have it. I know Gino always wanted to #1....Blaiser always wanted to be #1.....and Hakstol wants to be #1. I also know that Sandelin wants to be #1, but I'm hoping Hak, Berry and Eades can keep him at #2. :angry:

I've been trying to put this past weekend into perpsective and this seems like a good place to discuss it.

The Sioux definitely made a statement, and it appears they were heard by the pollsters, as they have ascended to the #1 ranking. Many of us don't care too much about that; I personally would like to see them continue to win and, most of all, get better every week.

As for playing well in October, it certainly is nice ... but I can't get over the thought that UND kicked Denver up and down the rink last fall, only to fall just short of the Pioneers in March. Although we have seen underdogs win the title before, last year really changed my view of college hockey. Now I think, as far as pursuit of the national title is concerned, all that matters is to qualify for the tournament. Once there, anything can happen.

As for caveats about this weekend's terrific performance, I can think of just a few. First, we don't know how good Maine is yet. Second, we've only seen about 5% of the season, which seems a little light to be getting too excited.

The couple of outstanding things to take out of this weekend for me are:

- From the sounds of it, Maine wasn't able to generate much in the way of quality chances 5x5; sounds like the defense is picking up right where it left off last year.

- I heard the attacking forwards were applying pressure, line after line, in a manner we hadn't completely seen in the last few years. Reminiscent of the late-90s Sioux.

- These wins will probably help a number of pairwise comparisons at the end of the year, in addition to being two top-value "bonus" wins for pairwise purposes (road wins over top 15 opponents). [i guess I lied about just wanting to qualify for the tournament. A better seed is always preferable, even if it is no guarantee.]

------------------------------------------

I also think Mankato is going to be tougher than people think. They have traditionally played the Sioux very tough (last Spring being the exception), they had injuries on defense last year that are not currently an issue, and they will be looking for a little payback for last Spring's wipeout by the Sioux.

I'm with you jk. We swept Maine which was great, but now I think people are getting too excited and optimistic. Every year North Dakota is in title contention, but I think this team needs to fly under the radar. Everyone thinks we'll be down (a little), so why not surprise them? They no longer have the media circus of Bucks and Parise, which should help.

I think the team will do great this year, but I still have questions. How will this team respond on the PP? How will they do when they get in a tight checking low scoring affair like the Denver game last year? Can they remain consistent?

For that matter, I think we're putting to much pressure on the freshman. They are not Parise or Bochenski and will never be. They are their own player and it takes freshman time to develop. Even Murray said that he was tired at the end of last season. What happens when we rely on these freshman and they wear down at the end of the season?

Maybe I'm being too pessismistic, but there is just too much season to declare that these guys are going to win the title. Do I want them to? Sure, but I'll know a lot more about their chances come the end of the season.

I was more surprised the Michigan St. was #2 on that list. I know they had great D and Miller behind them, but I didn't think they were atop for so long. Especially with BC being so good recently as well. Maybe I missed something with MSU in the late 90s.

- I heard the attacking forwards were applying pressure, line after line, in a manner we hadn't completely seen in the last few years.  Reminiscent of the late-90s Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watched the Maine webcast, and although you couldn't always pick up numbers, and the broadcasters didn't always have the Sioux forward names, the Sioux rolled 4 lines and absolutely dominated puck possession in the second and third periods. Couldn't tell one line from the next, they cycled and controlled the puck constantly. Can't say that I've seen that kind of puck possession for quite a few years.

Of course, ZPar and Bo were back out constantly the last two years, as they should have been, but this team can roll 4, it appears, without missing a beat. Should be an entertaining year.

The Sioux also adjusted each night after the first period, to the tight penalty calling. I think in the long run, if the obstruction calls continue, the Sioux will benefit greatly. The Sioux, however, along with every other team, will have to get used to eliminating the stick checks, especially on the backcheck, from their game. This kind of checking has been so common throughout hockey at all age levels that I don't think any of us think of it as "hooking", or as a penalty of any kind, but it was called consistantly. The Sioux showed they could leave it out of their game and still be solid defensively last weekend. Eliminating the holding from several teams' games (includes both Denver and Maine last year) will be great for college hockey in the long run, if it continues to be called.