SiouxSports.com Forum

First USCHO.com Poll

DMT

I agree with just about everything that jk wrote in his first post on this topic. It matters most not to be hot at the beginning, or even the middle, but at the end of the season. In that respect, the boys have not fared well the last few years. We all give St. Cloud grief for their post season futility, but the good guys have had trouble in that area lately too. I don't want to make too much out of it though. Sometimes things just don't go the right way. Last season's loss in the regional championship game is a good example. I'd be hesitant to read too much into it because it was not as if the Sioux were badly outplayed. To the contrary, Denver was badly outplayed for long stretches of the game, to the point where, more than once, Denver fans gave their team a Bronx cheer when they were finally able to gain control of the puck in the Sioux zone after long periods of Sioux control broken only by DU dumping the puck just to allow them to change lines. Our boys just couldn't find the back of the net and lost a heartbreaker.

Theoretically, the new emphasis on obstruction should also help, as Denver was allowed to do whatever they wanted to slow our boys down as long as it wasn't done with intent to injure. I am not convinced that there will be that much of a change however, at least based on what I saw Saturday. Once UND got the lead, especially after going up by two, Maine was taking rides on the backs of the Sioux. They let it go on quite some time until the ref finally had had enough and sat one of them down. If this is the way its going to be, there won't be much of a difference from last year. There may be more penalties per game this year, but most of them will be early in the game. As the game gets into the later stages, the trailing team will be allowed to get away with what was a penalty just a few minutes earlier, so the team with the lead (generally the better, more talent laden team) will end up with the most penalties. Not really a big change. But with the Sioux PP, maybe it won't much matter. :angry:

It's early, let's not get too excited or too down. This team is different from last year's. Let's enjoy the ride and not get too worked up about things that probably don't matter (like polls in October!).

As for playing well in October, it certainly is nice ... but I can't get over the thought that UND kicked Denver up and down the rink last fall, only to fall just short of the Pioneers in March.  Although we have seen underdogs win the title before, last year really changed my view of college hockey.  Now I think, as far as pursuit of the national title is concerned, all that matters is to qualify for the tournament.  Once there, anything can happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you're saying jk, but I would rather be ranked #1 all season, and then be eliminated, than to be mediocre all season and be eliminated. There's always going to be a Denver (Berkhoel) that can come in and ruin the party at the end of the season. Berkhoel got hot and he most likely would have won that game even if we had been ranked #10 all season. He did it to a very good Duluth and Maine team also. I'll take my chances on that, but I really like having the Sioux the top team week after week. UND is used to it and can handle the pressure.

[i guess I lied about just wanting to qualify for the tournament.  A better seed is always preferable, even if it is no guarantee.]

------------------------------------------

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now you're coming around....I like it. :angry::(

What idiot writer gave the one first-place vote to Maine? "Let's see, the Bears were swept in their own building for the first time in 19 years.... but I still think they're better than UND. They've got MAH vote!" Everyone I mention this to seems to assume that it's whatever writer hails from Maine, but I doubt any voter who saw the series in person would be blind enough to vote that way. Inane.

Also, in the USA today poll, BC moved from 2nd to 1st despite having a record of 0-0-0. How does that work?

56>10 ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

too bad that doesn't really equate to anything of note in the real world... :blush:

Only rank that matters to me EVER is the end of season rank. Holding a #1 rank in any poll during the season is meaningless except for seeding during playoffs...and that doesn't always help either....

WPoS