SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Maine

SiouxTupa

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would be a fire you would be throwing lammy into, if thats what were to happen. i go with jake and jordan 1 game a piece...i like your thinking though.would be nice to see what he has against a top program...i think we will come out firing both nights!!!!

UND 3 MAINE 1..EMPTY NETTER

UND 4 MAINE 3........

i like the idea of playing jordan and phil one game each, in that order. personally, it scares me every time someone shoots on jake brandt. he is one of the shakiest goalies i've ever seen. i think we lost a great future netminder (ziggy) last year because he didn't get any pt. lammy has been one of the best goalies (if not the best) in the ushl over the past two years. i think he deserves a shot (no pun intended) at stopping maine this weekend. our defense will be stellar again, and they will shut down maine. my predictions...

SIOUX 4 - MAINE 2

SIOUX 3 - MAINE 1

If they are as well prepared as they were in Omaha last year (that 4-0 game wasn't as close as it sounds - not to mention they destroyed UW the next night), be very happy with a split.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whether Maine is prepared or not, getting at least one win out there would be a pretty good start for the Sioux.

Although I hope it happens, I believe a UND sweep is very unlikely!

If they are as well prepared as they were in Omaha last year (that 4-0 game wasn't as close as it sounds - not to mention they destroyed UW the next night), be very happy with a split.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but last year Maine was playing an ill-prepared Gopher team that had its nose so high in the air that all they could smell were the Omaha stockyards. The boys, with their back-to-backs, figured all they had to do was step on the ice and opponents would cower. Especially in the Gophers' own backyard with their legions of travelling fans.

Truth is, the Gophers team last year was a pretty average shell of its earlier squads. This year, it is the Sioux going out to Orono for a great college hockey series. I see a Sioux sweep. No kidding. These seeings, and a quarter, will get me a cup of mud at the Big Sioux.

By the way Sagard, don't attempt to revise history. A 4-0 game, in and of itself and under most any circumstances, especially between two hallowed programs, never sounds "close." You a horseshoe thrower out by WPoS's still by any chance?

Yes, but last year Maine was playing an ill-prepared Gopher team that had its nose so high in the air that all they could smell were the Omaha stockyards. The boys, with their back-to-backs, figured all they had to do was step on the ice and opponents would cower. Especially in the Gophers' own backyard with their legions of travelling fans.

Truth is, the Gophers team last year was a pretty average shell of its earlier squads. This year, it is the Sioux going out to Orono for a great college hockey series. I see a Sioux sweep. No kidding. These seeings, and a quarter, will get me a cup of mud at the Big Sioux.

By the way Sagard, don't attempt to revise history. A 4-0 game, in and of itself and under most any circumstances, especially between two hallowed programs, never sounds "close." You a horseshoe thrower out by WPoS's still by any chance?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THat's kind of harsh to say about one of the few Gopher posters around who actually isn't that arrogant and has been, IMO, quite respectful on this board.

THat's kind of harsh to say about one of the few Gopher posters around who actually isn't that arrogant and has been, IMO, quite respectful on this board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love Sagard, WPoS, Greyeagle, and the other respectful Gopher "poster boys" here. That said, they are still Gopher fans. Tried and true. Do not think that they ever miss taking an opportunity to be passively aggressive, if not outwardly condescending, toward the Sioux and our fans. Maybe not here, but certainly every other chance that they can take.

I did not mean to be harsh with Sagard. Just pointing out the foibles of the feeble Gopher effort from near start to finish last season, especially with all of the returning talent that they had. Moreover, I still maintain that a 4-0 game between national powerhouse programs cannot be called "close" under anyone's reading of the score.

As for the still, it is true. These Gopher fans drink corn liquor (after all, they are from Minnesota and therefore have a corn-farmin' heritage) down by the river before every one of their home games, and it is owned by WPoS!!!!

By the way Sagard, don't attempt to revise history.  A 4-0 game, in and of itself and under most any circumstances, especially between two hallowed programs,  never sounds "close." 

I think Sagard's self-deprecating humor flew right by you.

It sounds like Jordan Parise is only making the trip because Fabian is out of the lineup, and it is JP doubtful he'll see time in the net. Apparently, he has a groin injury, and just started skating with the team this week. This is paraphrased from Tim Hennessy this morning on 1440. BTW, Fabian is out because of a hit he got in practice this week. Prpich will be in the lineup this weekend. :blush:

Virg picks the Black Bears

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Virg also picked Duluth 5-2 over Notre Dame. UMD needed a goal late in the 3rd to gain a tie in front of 1300 fans.......hmmm

The big question for tonight will be, who is ready to play as a team? Maine lost nearly as much talent from last year's team as we did. But they have Howard.

The keys for the Sioux is to get production early from their talented freshmen and take advantage of their experience on defense. (which wasn't evident against Manitoba). I like Parise to start in goal. He's less likely to get rattled in a hostile environment.

I think if we can hold Maine to 20-25 shots, the Sioux win both games by narrow margins. :blush:

What I haven't really seen anyone talk about is the effect the new obstruction crackdown could have on these games. Maine is supposedly this defensive power, but how clean do those defensemen play? Looking over their box score with VT, I see about 7 penalties that I would classify as obstruction-related. If the Sioux can apply more offensive pressure than VT did, frustration could lead to an increase in that.

Don't get me wrong, penalties could be even making for a really boring game, or ND's big defensemen could end up on the wrong side of too many obstruction penalties. Regardless, it's not out of the question for 25+% of each game to spent on powerplay, which could certainly affect the outcome.

What I haven't really seen anyone talk about is the effect the new obstruction crackdown could have on these games.  Maine is supposedly this defensive power, but how clean do those defensemen play?  Looking over their box score with VT, I see about 7 penalties that I would classify as obstruction-related.  If the Sioux can apply more offensive pressure than VT did, frustration could lead to an increase in that.

Don't get me wrong, penalties could be even making for a really boring game, or ND's big defensemen could end up on the wrong side of too many obstruction penalties.  Regardless, it's not out of the question for 25+% of each game to spent on powerplay, which could certainly affect the outcome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was 64 PIM in the Notre Dame-UMD game. There were 24 powerplays in the Denver-Windsor ex. game. I think there was close to that in the UND-Manitoba game. I expect a slow, penalty filled game. :blush:

Jim,

You have made an outstanding point. Considering that many of us have thought UND is at its best 5x5, and the team has seemed to struggle on the PP for most of the Blais era, I am concerned about the impact of the new rules on UND. Add in your point about UND's big defensive defensemen perhaps taking a few extra penalties of their own, and it could be quite an adjustment.

The fact that UND has terrific talent doesn't seem to matter on the PP, as it seemed to me that even the great 90s teams with Blake and Hoogsteen, and the later teams with Panzer and Roche, had their PP struggles. We will just have to wait and see how it works out.

Jim,

You have made an outstanding point.  Considering that many of us have thought UND is at its best 5x5, and the team has seemed to struggle on the PP for most of the Blais era, I am concerned about the impact of the new rules on UND.  Add in your point about UND's big defensive defensemen perhaps taking a few extra penalties of their own, and it could be quite an adjustment.

The fact that UND has terrific talent doesn't seem to matter on the PP, as it seemed to me that even the great 90s teams with Blake and Hoogsteen, and the later teams with Panzer and Roche, had their PP struggles.  We will just have to wait and see how it works out.

A new coaching staff might make a difference on the PP. For good or ill. We'll have to see.

What I haven't really seen anyone talk about is the effect the new obstruction crackdown could have on these games.  Maine is supposedly this defensive power, but how clean do those defensemen play?  Looking over their box score with VT, I see about 7 penalties that I would classify as obstruction-related.  If the Sioux can apply more offensive pressure than VT did, frustration could lead to an increase in that.

Don't get me wrong, penalties could be even making for a really boring game, or ND's big defensemen could end up on the wrong side of too many obstruction penalties.  Regardless, it's not out of the question for 25+% of each game to spent on powerplay, which could certainly affect the outcome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there are any MAINEiacs out there reading this forum, don't take this the wrong way, but my impression of last year's title game was that each team was playing its mirror image. By that I mean each team liked to slow the game down and generally did any way possible without doing anything malicious (they would hook and hold and maybe trip but not slash or spear or high-stick). It was a brutal game to watch. Neither had much offense. I would think that the crackdown on obstruction would be in UND's favor, if for no other reason than it would tend to tire out Maine toward the end of the game. I was more than a little surprised by the seven spot that Maine hung AT Vermont, and by the scoring balance across lines, but they didn't have all that many shots (28, I think) so maybe the Vermont goalie just sieved out. And Vermont has been down for quite a few years now, but still something to think about. Should be an interesting series, but really hard to handicap. I would think a sweep by either team unlikely, but more unlikely for the good guys since it's on the road.

Since we're talking about the obstruction, this is from Sauer on INCH.

I went to the movies in St. Paul, Minn., last month with a bunch of college hockey coaches. I think it's fair to say we had our eyes opened by what we saw.

It wasn't a Stephen King thriller on the screen, but a tape of the NCAA championship hockey game between Denver and Maine last spring. On display were over 30 moments from the tight-checking game