SiouxSports.com Forum

The Division I Question? New Answer?

star2city

We have both baseball and softball and men's and women's hockey. As far as I can remember the only other sports we have not offered by the big sky is men's golf. and there are only five guys on the golf team. Guessing they probably don't all have full ride schollarships(?)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the exact sports that the BSC mandates, you're T9 complient.

Any extra sports you have must cancel each other out on the men's and women's side.

IE if you also have baseball, you have to have softball, hockey and hockey, swimming and swimming, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The number of sports doesn't matter, it's both the number of opportunities (ie athletes) and the number of scholarships. I'd wager that Big Sky schools that are compliant are maxed out on scholarships for womens' teams and offer the minimum for mens' teams if they only offer the mandated sports. Soccer, Volleyball and Golf don't balance out football, so the balance has to come from the other sports, tennis and track.

2002 season football seating capacities:

Montana 18845

Montana St. 13500

Weber St. 17500

Idaho St. 12000

Portland St. 20000

Cal St. Sacramento 21195

Northern Ariz. 15300

Eastern Wash. 6000

Those are the latest stadium capacity numbers I have. I know Montana has gone close to 24000 seats since then. I don't know about the others.

As far as "15000", Montana State and UND are in the same position. Idaho and Eastern Washington are worse off. Northern Arizona really isn't much better off than Montana State or UND.

Having seats is one issue; filling them is quite another.

How much does/will Women's Hockey Cost?

How much fundraising will UND have to do/if any in order to meet DI Title 9 requirements?

Womens hockey is up and running: Welcome to Season III and being the newest member of the Womens WCHA. Having Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Ohio State (WWCHA members) coming in can't hurt attendance, nor will UM-D, SCSU, or MSU-Mankato.

UND is actually in pretty good shape regarding Title IX. Adding womens hockey helped the numbers.

As far as BSC sports, recently Portland State got an exemption (budget woes) from the mens and womens tennis requirement.

Pleading poverty, the Vikings this spring begged the conference for permission to drop mens and womens tennis (a savings of $148,000), both required for Big Sky membership. The conference reluctantly agreed. -- The Oregonian, 07/13/03

Montana 18845

Montana St. 13500

Weber St. 17500

Idaho St. 12000

Portland St. 20000

Cal St. Sacramento 21195

Northern Ariz. 15300

Eastern Wash. 6000

Those are the latest stadium capacity numbers I have. I know Montana has gone close to 24000 seats since then. I don't know about the others.

As far as "15000", Montana State and UND are in the same position. Idaho and Eastern Washington are worse off. Northern Arizona really isn't much better off than Montana State or UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The difference is that those are outdoor stadiums and are more easily expandable, the Alerus is stuck being the size that it is

Also, I have a little difficulty believing women's hockey will be a revenue generator, though it should get to break even, is the interest really there?

Montana 18845

Montana St. 13500

Weber St. 17500

Idaho St. 12000

Portland St. 20000

Cal St. Sacramento 21195

Northern Ariz. 15300

Eastern Wash. 6000

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sic, do you know if the numbers for Eastern Washington were for Joe Albi Stadium or Woodward (sp). I think they've been playing in Spokane for a while while they were renovating their stadium in Cheney. I really don't know the capacities for either one.

MTSU holds 15000 according to their site.

Someone on here claims that the Alerous can be upgraded to 17000 by adding seats to an endzone.

Any truth to this?

I don't understand why the BSC requires that you have certain sports.

Perhaps (hopfully), the BSC will change their membership requirements when they expand.

I've pondered aloud here if it is possible. It looks to these eyes like south endzone seating could be added. (The Aurora ballroom and kitchen spaces limits the north end.) It probably couldn't go "full bowl" but maybe "four sides" (like Fargodome), but in this case "three sides".

This is the pondering of someone else:

"What we really need is 4,000 more seats at the Alerus Center." -- Phil Harmeson, senior associate to UND President Charles Kupchella

Harmeson generally isn't the type of guy that would roll that out there unless he thought it possible.

What is the highest avg attendance (any school) for women's hockey?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minnesota averaged just under 1400 per game last year. I would assume that's close to the highest, if it's not actually the highest average attendance ever. There's no question that women's hockey has a ways to go before it gets to the level where it could possibly be self-sufficient, but it will probably gain in popularity in those parts of the country where men's hockey is very popular.

also, the Dome was designed and can take ice, all that is need is $40k for the compressors and community interest in hockey ???

Not completely true. The numbers folks were tossing around back in 2000 (the failed Fargo Arena vote era) were in the $250,000.00+ range.

Minnesota averaged just under 1400 per game last year.  I would assume that's close to the highest, if it's not actually the highest average attendance ever. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt that number is indicative of actual butts in the seats. I was at Ridder a couple of times for "big" games, and I could remember parties, post-college, that had better attendance. Still womens/girls' hockey is still a sport finding its place and fans in the world.

The difference is that those are outdoor stadiums and are more easily expandable, the Alerus is stuck being the size that it is

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is Northern Arizona in Flagstaff? Because I'm pretty sure they play in wooden dome.

Not completely true. The numbers folks were tossing around back in 2000 (the failed Fargo Arena vote era) were in the $250,000.00+ range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that was the number for 2000, not the early 90's when it was built, and i'm sure the didn't pick the cheapest method in order to help "sway" the voters