SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-5) @ SIU (3-0) 12/17 1 PM (Game 1)

SWSiouxMN

*Writers Note:  This will be a probably be the template that I use for the conference season going forward, where the first game will be used as a normal write up, but the 2nd game thread will just be more of a recap of the previous game.

UND was the better team for 33 minutes against their in-state rivals, but as everyone knows... you have to play a full 40.  UND failed to do that and NDSU squeaked by with a 1 point win, leaving UND going 1-2 in the Dakota Showcase.  Now UND hits the road (again) for the final 3 games of non-conference play, as they hit up Carbondale for 2 games with the Salukis of SIU

About Southern Illinois

About 20 years ago, the Salukis were one of the mid-major darlings of the world.  Starting in the 2001-02 season, SIU went on a 6 year tear where they won 5 MVC titles, made 6 NCAA tournaments in a row, made the Sweet 16 twice, and the 2nd Round 3 times in that stretch!  More impressive was it was done under 3 different head coaches.  The first trip to the Sweet 16 was under Bruce Weber, who after his success when on to coach at Illinois, and later, KSU.  His successor, Matt Painter, was only there a year before he got scooped up by Purdue to replace the legendary Gene Keady.  Then the last coach during this stretch was Chris Lowery, who in his first 3 years, won the league twice and in his 3rd year got SIU to their 2nd trip to the Sweet 16.  Surely, he would follow the path of Weber and Painter to bigger and better things right?

Well... after the 2006-07 season, outside of 1 trip to the NIT... nothing.  Lowery couldn't duplicate the success and was replaced in 2012 by Barry Hinson, who also couldn't duplicate the success and was replace by the current head coach Bryan Mullins, who knows a thing or two about the glory days of SIU.   In his first year, he managed to overachieve and get the Salukis to the middle of the pack (the team was picked near the bottom).  He still has a pretty young team, but if the first year was any indication, SIU could be ready to return to the glory days sooner rather than later.

About Head Coach Bryan Mullins (2nd Year, 19-16 overall (10-8 MVC))

Mullins enters his 2nd year as the head coach but is all too familiar with the program. He played for the team from 2005-2009 and was apart of the team that went to the Sweet 16 in 2006-07.  He also was apart of the coaching staff at Chicago Loyola during their historic run to the Final 4 in 2018.  Now it is his turn to be the head guy at SIU, his alma matter.  He overachieved in his first year and still has a pretty young squad, but appears to be ready to make the charge up the MVC standings.  Its been a long time since the Salukis were in the NCAAs and if he continues to go on his current trajectory, the wait won't be too much longer. 

Key Player: Marcus Domask (6'6 Sophomore Forward)

One reason why people should be bullish on these young Salukis is the play of this Sophomore from Wisconsin.  He made quite the impact in year 1, winning MVC Freshman of the Year and 2nd team All-MVC honors.  He shot the ball very well from the field, from 3, and from the free throw line, but was especially deadly in the post.   He is already off to a past start, averaging over 18 ppg and nearly 6 rebounds per game.  The 3 point shot hasn't fallen yet for him, but he is certainly capable of burying it from 3.  If the Salukis make a run towards the top of the MVC, he will be a big part of that equation.   The bigs are going to have a tall task in keeping him in check.

Most Famous Basketball Alumi:  Walt (Clyde) Frazier 

Series History: 

This will be the 3rd and 4th all time meeting between the two schools, the first since 1957.  The series is tied at 1-1

Milestone Watch

Rebraca is only 4 rebounds away from 500 career rebounds.   He should get that milestone in game 1

Questions

1) How will UND handle the man-to-man defense that SIU will throw at them?

2) Will we see a return of DAE?

3) Who amongst the starters will step up outside of Rebraca?

The Call:

I will still be making picks on individual game threads still.  SIU will be another good measuring stick to see where the team lies.  They will be a tougher opponent that Miami will be, but UND has gotten better in the first few weeks of the season.  How UND handles the slow tempo (although this year, they are in the top 60 in tempo but that could change) and the tough man to man defense that SIU plays, will be the key.  I think it will be a bit of a shock in game 1 and the Salukis come out on top.  

Game 1:  SIU 77 UND 65

Game is on the Tres!

• Upvote 1

The two big issues I have with the offense in the first half come down to two words

-Selection

-Finishing

UND gets into these long droughts because their shot selection is rushed.  They are taking shots that they can get later in the possession and potentially more in the flow of the offense.  This can be caused by stagnation of offensive flow.  I feed that UND needs to move more with and without the ball.  

UND has to finish better,  if you are getting the open look, you have to bury it.  You have to finish when you are taking it to the rack.  When you have an WIDE OPEN layup, you cannot miss it.  

Defensively, UND has to handle the screen better.  Too many times in the 2nd half, UND didn't switch and allowed the screener to slip. This caused another defender to have to come over to either cover the slip, leaving a wide open shooter, or the screener being wide open for a layup.  

G had a big game off the bench, he has strung together a couple of good games together.  I'd like to see him get a few more minutes to see what he can do.  He got about 17 tonight, lets see if he can get 13-17 minutes regularly and see what he does. 

I love the fact that this team got 19 assists.  7 players had 2 or more assists.  

We need more of that scoring from Nero.  Sims is getting better, but the turnovers were too high.  Sueker is still struggling a bit.  the rust showed on DAE. Rebraca is Rebraca.  Ethan and Brady had tough games. 

6 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Think this is going to be a slow burn for Sather.  Goal is to be rolling in mid-February.  Too many new pieces right now.

It didn't help that DAE wasn't in the starting lineup.  When you have

-Rebraca the only returning starter but now is the focal point

-Sueker, who played D2 last year

-Sims, who played JUCO last year

-Nero, who only practiced with Weber last year

-Ihenacho, who was playing in the South Suburban Conference last year. 

There is going to be struggles.  Now... are they better now than they were about a month ago?  Yes.  Do they still have a ways to go?  Yes.  Do I like the depth of this team better than last year?  Hell yes.  Do some players need to step up and play better?  Yes. 

I'd like to see if they can get 1 more game between Drake (12/22) and UMKC (1/2).  They just need to play and practice and avoid getting bit. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It didn't help that DAE wasn't in the starting lineup.  When you have

-Rebraca the only returning starter but now is the focal point

-Sueker, who played D2 last year

-Sims, who played JUCO last year

-Nero, who only practiced with Weber last year

-Ihenacho, who was playing in the South Suburban Conference last year. 

There is going to be struggles.  Now... are they better now than they were about a month ago?  Yes.  Do they still have a ways to go?  Yes.  Do I like the depth of this team better than last year?  Hell yes.  Do some players need to step up and play better?  Yes. 

I'd like to see if they can get 1 more game between Drake (12/22) and UMKC (1/2).  They just need to play and practice and avoid getting bit. 

They should definitely try getting another game. Hate to say it but maybe a cake walk to get this team a confidence boost. Drake might be one of the toughest games they'll play before conference starts. Be nice to get a home game also!