SiouxSports.com Forum

Pod style game 1-Miami

Wilbur

2 hours ago, Langster019 said:

There isn't much more you can ask for. More goals? Sure. Other details? They'll come. But it's game 1 after 9 months of no competition, and they won a game they should have. 1-0. Onto the next! Beat DENVER!!!

I thought we were dominant defensively and that's the backbone of a title. All zones. Scoring will come, no doubt in my mind.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He was absolutely incredible in the first period, but quiet midway through. He made an unreal, backhanded sauce pass from the corner leading up to an odd-man rush right after Gaber's goal. I was very happy with him. Never got out of position and was eager to enter the rush especially in the first. Such a smooth skater. Incredible feet.

I was casually watching in the first, so I may have missed a more impact of period there. 

I did like him joining the rush and sometimes the first guy forechecking in the O-zone given his speed. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

I was casually watching in the first, so I may have missed a more impact of period there. 

I did like him joining the rush and sometimes the first guy forechecking in the O-zone given his speed. 

I'm not necessarily talking impact in the game, but just how good of a player he is. Sorry, I could have elaborated. His impact yesterday was all about transition out of the zone and his speed, in general.

14 hours ago, Langster019 said:

There isn't much more you can ask for. More goals? Sure. Other details? They'll come. But it's game 1 after 9 months of no competition, and they won a game they should have. 1-0. Onto the next! Beat DENVER!!!

This. First games always make you a little nervous as I do think they favor the team with less talent. Get the win, knock some rust off and move on. I liked the lines, hope they stick with them. Echoing others, Gaber is going to be a star. I thought him and Pinto were the best two forwards. The key, like last year, will be finding a 3rd for the 2nd line. They never found it last year. More experience / options this year. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, AJS said:

This. First games always make you a little nervous as I do think they favor the team with less talent. Get the win, knock some rust off and move on. I liked the lines, hope they stick with them. Echoing others, Gaber is going to be a star. I thought him and Pinto were the best two forwards. The key, like last year, will be finding a 3rd for the 2nd line. They never found it last year. More experience / options this year. 

We definitely need to make the most of this season, so hopefully we don't run into issues that could shut it down.  That would really be disappointing to lose guys like Pinto, Adams, Mismash, Kawaguchi, JBD and Kiersted and not have a lot to show for it.  I know it would be incumbent upon guys like Hain, Blaisdell and Weatherby to step up next year to fill in for those guys, but the number of grinders coming in makes me wonder if we will be back to a mix we had a couple years ago when we had problems scoring goals.   Schmaltz, Jamernik, Portz will be good role players, but I wouldn't expect a lot of offense from them, and you never know how a true freshman like Kuntz would do.  Really have hope for Constantini, but again, you never know.  Would be nice to have one top end draft pick to pair with Gaber to pick up some of the scoring we will be losing.  Might have to generate a ton of offense from the defense.  Who knows, a guy like Adams could stick around, or they could get a top guy from the transfer portal.   Look at me worrying about next year.  Fingers crossed we can make the most of this year, and finishing off the POD without any hiccups will go a long way toward that.  

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

We definitely need to make the most of this season, so hopefully we don't run into issues that could shut it down.  That would really be disappointing to lose guys like Pinto, Adams, Mismash, Kawaguchi, JBD and Kiersted and not have a lot to show for it.  I know it would be incumbent upon guys like Hain, Blaisdell and Weatherby to step up next year to fill in for those guys, but the number of grinders coming in makes me wonder if we will be back to a mix we had a couple years ago when we had problems scoring goals.   Schmaltz, Jamernik, Portz will be good role players, but I wouldn't expect a lot of offense from them, and you never know how a true freshman like Kuntz would do.  Really have hope for Constantini, but again, you never know.  Would be nice to have one top end draft pick to pair with Gaber to pick up some of the scoring we will be losing.  Might have to generate a ton of offense from the defense.  Who knows, a guy like Adams could stick around, or they could get a top guy from the transfer portal.   Look at me worrying about next year.  Fingers crossed we can make the most of this year, and finishing off the POD without any hiccups will go a long way toward that.  

Adams is a senior. Wish he could stay tho lol.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

At least for football I don't believe 2020-21 counts.  I assume it applies to the winter sports as well.

Oh, you were being serious. Football moved their season, though. I don't think I've heard anything about winter athletes keeping eligibility. I could be wrong. 

EDIT: Simple Google search. Looks like all winter athletes get another year. Interesting.

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Oh, you were being serious. Football moved their season, though. I don't think I've heard anything about winter athletes keeping eligibility. I could be wrong. 

EDIT: Simple Google search. Looks like all winter athletes get another year. Interesting.

You would be hard pressed to believe guys like Kawaguchi, Kiersted and JBD would stay another year, but slight greater chance of Adams and Mismash, although I'm sure their teams would like to get them in their system, unless Covid has created a glut of some sort.   I know Jamernik and Portz can't be pushed back another year, but not sure about Schmaltz.  You know there will be some nice options in the transfer portal, so maybe Berry just pushes back Kuntz a year.  Maybe that was the plan anyway. 

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Gaber reminded me of a Panzer.  Wearing number 17 and making rushes up the wing getting to the net.  

Dean Blais type pesky forward for sure. 

Definitely would have fit right in with that 97-99 bunch. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tnt said:

Let's wait and see on next years Freshman crop. Schmaltz is tied for the lead in scoring on Green Bay with 5 Goals 3 Assists in 6 Games. Late round pick. Just one example, but as someone who follows recruiting closely, you really don't know until the year before they come in. Gaber might be an exception, but who would have thought when he committed it would have turned out like this? No one. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Let's wait and see on next years Freshman crop. Schmaltz is tied for the lead in scoring on Green Bay with 5 Goals 3 Assists in 6 Games. Late round pick. Just one example, but as someone who follows recruiting closely, you really don't know until the year before they come in. Gaber might be an exception, but who would have thought when he committed it would have turned out like this? No one. 

That's so true, I remember being so pumped about Wes Dorey coming in years ago, and it was under the radar Jeff Panzer that was the diamond in the rough.  I really thought Portz would start off better this year in the USHL, but who knows about nagging injuries and such.  

• Like 1