SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

In Sid's column today he mentions Drew Fisher as committed to North Dakota.  Given that this is not listed on Heisenberg's site and Sid's known hockey expertise, I would say there is a good chance that this is not true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who the hell is drew fisher?

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Les Reaney guy. You don't recruit guys by stats. That is all Woog did and he never won the big one. None of us have seen this kid play and I trust the coaching staffs judgement on talent. If he is so good how come no one else is banging on his door. Maybe the coaches feel this guy has peaked and will be a 3rd or 4th liner or he is not fast enough for WCHA hockey. Maybe we are recruiting him who knows for sure. You cant take all top scorers you need role players also. We have probably the best recruiting class in years coming next year. TONS of FIREPOWER. lets leave the recruiting to the coaches.

And I like Drew Fisher for a year or two down the road.

Let's see....

Leading scorer in the BCHL is trying to knock down Hak's office door (and from what you read on the 'net has the "size" to do it) and Hak's apparently not opening.

I wonder why that is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Reaney's dream is to play for the Sioux and he is not offered a scholarship, I hope he goes to UND and walks on. UND is a good school regardless of hockey participation. If his clearly evident raw talent is matched by a strong work ethic, he would be a welcome addition to the Sioux. The Sioux have had some fine walk ons and if he impresses he can earn a scholarship down the road.

Worst case scenario, he gets a good education, and some IM team dominates for 4 years. :D

If Reaney's dream is to play for the Sioux and he is not offered a scholarship, I hope he goes to UND and walks on. UND is a good school regardless of hockey participation. If his clearly evident raw talent is matched by a strong work ethic, he would be a welcome addition to the Sioux. The Sioux have had some fine walk ons and if he impresses he can earn a scholarship down the road.

Worst case scenario, he gets a good education, and some IM team dominates for 4 years. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Problem is, as a small town Saskatchewan boy I doubt he has the bucks to attend UND on his own. Someone will likely pick him but keep in mind that many have also compared him to Fatty Fournier so quite possibly his game has peaked this season and it could be all downhill from here.

Problem is, as a small town Saskatchewan boy I doubt he has the bucks to attend UND on his own. Someone will likely pick him but keep in mind that many have also compared him to Fatty Fournier so quite possibly his game has peaked this season and it could be all downhill from here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope this is not the case, but it could be. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Merrimack has given him an offer and so has Alaska Fairbanks. It's mentioned in that USCHO article that he wants to be within driving distance from home. UND, of the three listed, is the only one that qualifies in that category.

In Sid's column today he mentions Drew Fisher as committed to North Dakota.  Given that this is not listed on Heisenberg's site and Sid's known hockey expertise, I would say there is a good chance that this is not true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Fisher will be playing in the USHL next year....possibly at Indiana??? I might have the wrong team there. Sid must have gotten a little carried away on his typewriter because Fisher hasn't committed to UND.

I think the coaching staff is trying to fill in the gaps well.  Lee is the most important piece, as our transition game is really lackluster due to our defensemen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've only seen Chorney a couple of times, but my impression is that he plays a similar style to Lee. He can make an outlet pass, skate the puck out if necessary, and lead a rush if the opportunity is there.

Has anyone seen Zach Jones play? I don't think he was on the U18 team that played at The Ralph last year. What can we expect from him?

His stats (1-1-2) don't exactly look like an offensive defenseman's. :D

I read somewhere a scouting report that said something like he was never out of position. I'm guessing just a sound defensive defenseman.

My guess is this guy is on the ice with Kessell next year when the Sioux play the gophs. He's most likely of our defensemen to have a clue as to what Phil the Thrill will try to do.

I read somewhere a scouting report that said something like he was never out of position.  I'm guessing just a sound defensive defenseman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd guess his game is much like his older brother's. Can't beat that.

I'm real excited with our incoming class next year. Looks like kozek, watkins, and duncan are absolutely ripping it up in the BCHL. Toews sounds like he'll be a phenomenal player. Next year i expect better goal output with the team or something is definetely wrong with the offensive systems. As for now the defense has been playing great, allowing 3 goals against wisconsin and 2 against JBSU. Things are looking up for next year :D

I know there was all that drama around the time of the WJT, but has Toews truly committed to UND since then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes he did and it was a low key statement to the media. He might have waited longer but he was getting hounded by the Major Junior team who owned his rights in the Western Hockey League and decided it was best to state his intentions for next year and get it over with. You can confirm he is committed on the USCHO homepage.

Sounds like we got a speedster in Matt Watkins. He won the fastest skater competition at the BCHL all star game. Maybe another Kevin Spiewak. Spiewak was one of my all time favorites. When he would get the puck it was just exciting to see what would happen. It seems like he scored in the big games. Against Maine in the semi's in 2000. Against Michigan State in the semi's in 2001. He never really racked up much for points but was one of my favorites because he never quit. Chris Porter kinda reminds me of spiewak. Any other thoughts on Spiewak from anyone?

I know there was all that drama around the time of the WJT, but has Toews truly committed to UND since then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a verbal comittment, the next signing period is in April, I believe.

Sounds like we got a speedster in Matt Watkins. He won the fastest skater competition at the BCHL all star game. Maybe another Kevin Spiewak. Spiewak was one of my all time favorites. When he would get the puck it was just exciting to see what would happen. It seems like he scored in the big games. Against Maine in the semi's in 2000. Against Michigan State in the semi's in 2001. He never really racked up much for points but was one of my favorites because he never quit. Chris Porter kinda reminds me of spiewak. Any other thoughts on Spiewak from anyone?

Spiewak is one of my all time favorites too. Super hard working, fast, and went about playing with little fanfare. Have had a chance to meet him and he's the kind of guy you want to root for.

Spiewak is one of my all time favorites too. Super hard working, fast, and went about playing with little fanfare. Have had a chance to meet him and he's the kind of guy you want to root for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I met him at a hockey camp a few years back he was coaching and i just stopped by to see how it was going and i talked to him and wow he was a nice guy. For me he's right up there on my short list of favorites that also includes parise and panzer. As you can tell i like the speed guys that are just exciting to watch.