SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

On the TJ OSHIE FRONT: I just heard from some one that I work with that  T.J. Oshie has only been skating 3 years or something close to that. Does anyone know if that is true? Can someone give me the straight low down on that. That sound kind of fishy if you ask me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I won't give you how I know my answer, but this is incorrect. He's been playing a while.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moorhead wins tonight over Alex, 5-1 to advance to section championship game.

Vandevelde with hattrick according to local fox sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

VandeVelde looked really good tonight. Moorhead didn't play real well but you could tell when VandeVelde was on the ice.

His first goal was a thing of beauty. Walked out of the corner, faked a pass to Drew Fisher and walked around the goalie.

Yikes. It's even uglier around here than it usually is after a loss.

There's no way to know if guys who score well in junior leagues will turn into good college players. Sometimes juniors is the last level they excel at, and other guys pass them by in college. That said, I'd rather UND's recruits do well in the juniors than the alternative.

On that note, Andrew Kozek had a bit of a breakout weekend, with a 3-2-5 line tonight after his three-point night last night. This follows quite a few weeks where he had seemed to cool off, starting about when Surrey had a coaching change. Tonight the BCHL scoring race has Reaney with 87 points, Kozek with 86 and Duncan with 84.

Duncan's 84 includes two goals tonight, after a rare pointless night last night. He and Kozek are tied for the BCHL lead in goals with 45.

I think Watkins had three assists tonight to go with a goal last night, and he sits in tenth place on the scoring list with (I think) 69 points.

Also, I recall reading message board blather that Oshie grew up playing roller hockey. FWIW.

On the TJ OSHIE FRONT: I just heard from some one that I work with that T.J. Oshie has only been skating 3 years or something close to that. Does anyone know if that is true? Can someone give me the straight low down on that. That sound kind of fishy if you ask me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oshie played the first 10 years of his hockey career at Seattle Jr Hockey Association. NW Admirals is the AAA program there and he left as SJHA's all-time leading scorer averaging close to 200 points per season. He was very active in USA Hockey InLine going to the USAHIL National Championships 5 times since 1999 and captured the U-17 National Title this past summer playing for the Washington Jr. Stars AAA program. Oshie also represented TEAM EAST which won the Gold Medal in the USAHIL National PREP Festival last year in LA.

He currently sits at 34+59=93 points for the #1 Class A Warroad Warriors heading into the Section 8A Championship game on Thursday vs. LOW or TRF. He leads all MN HS scorers through 27 games.

Article about Kessel; I understand he isn't a likely Sioux recruit, but the article makes an interesting mention of Zach Jones.

What's so special about Kessel? Many experts expect he'll go in the top five, if not No. 1 overall, in the National Hockey League's 2006 draft. Despite being born in 1987, Kessel isn't eligible for this year's NHL draft because his birth date (Oct. 2) is beyond the Sept. 15 cutoff for the 2005 draft.

That actually will help Kessel because Canada's Sidney Crosby is the overwhelming favorite to go No. 1 in the 2005 draft. Which leaves Kessel to vie with the likes of the Czech Republic's Michael Frolik and Finland's Jesee Joensuu as well as Americans Andrew Cogliano, Jeff Frazee, Nathan Gerbe and Zach Jones for the top spot in 2006.

Article about Kessel; I understand he isn't a likely Sioux recruit, but the article makes an interesting mention of Zach Jones.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never heard Zach Jones as being a top 10 pick. Never heard him being projected in the first round period. A nice mention.

However, no mention of Toews. Is this because it's slanted as the top American prospect compared to Europeans? I heard Toews was supposed to compete for a top 5 draft position.

Never heard Zach Jones as being a top 10 pick. Never heard him being projected

in the first round period. A nice mention.

However, no mention of Toews. Is this because it's slanted as the top American prospect compared to Europeans? I heard Toews was supposed to compete for a top 5 draft position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the central scouting mid-season ranking of North American skaters Jones was way down in the lower half of the list. He has no chance of being a first rounder. There will be no draft this year anyway.

# Name Position Gr. Date of Birth Ht. Wt. Home Town GP G A PTS PIM

04 Taylor Chorney Defense 12 4-27-87 5'11" 180 Hastings, MN 49 4 28 32 50

08 Kyle Okposo Forward 11 4-16-88 6' 195 St. Paul, MN 52 38 38 76 56

09 Jonathan Toews Forward 12 4-29-88 6'1" 180 Winnipeg, MB 51 39 47 86 34

10 Michael Gergen Forward 12 2-17-87 5'11" 185 Hastings, MN 55 48 40 88 92

21 Charles Genoway Forward 12 12-20-86 5'9" 170 Morden, MB 52 18 32 50 42

Updated SSM stats after their weekend tourney. They won all five of their games; 3-1, 6-1, 8-1, 10-0, and 2-0.

Genoway adds 4 points and one goal to his total.

Chorney only plays in one of the games, and registers no points. Not sure why he didn't play in the other 4 games.

Okposo has a good weekend, scoring 2 goals and 8 points total.

Gergen with a 3-4-7 line on the weekend.

Toews with an identical 3-4-7 line, staying 2 pts behind Gergen for the overall lead, although Gergen has played in 4 more games.

Appears that Toews doesn't go to the box too often, as he only has 34 PIMs all season, compared to Gergen's 92 PIMs and Okposo's 56 PIMs.

I'm not so sure that being on the second line automatically translates into a lot less playing time. An example is the Sioux not breaking up a line that is playing well like Spirko, Stafford and Zajac. You can't tell me that Brady Murray should be put on that line when he is healthy if they keep playing like they are. As for the powerplay, I'm sure Kozek is at least on the second shift. I'm sure their coach is just doing what he feels helps the team best. Does Kozek kill a lot of penalties? Maybe he is more valuable in that role. Without actually seeing him play and witnessing first hand what is happening with his playing time, I'm not going to say his numbers would be a lot higher being put on the first line.

Yes, but usually playing on the first line you are playing with more skilled players, i.e. more chances to score.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not I want to saythis but PA and Dubay just said that Lee and Vandevelde are thinking of not coming to UND. Anybody have any insight on this?

I'm not I want to saythis but PA and Dubay just said that Lee and Vandevelde are thinking of not coming to UND. Anybody have any insight on this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm thinking that they've already signed National Letters of Intent (according to Heisenberg).

PA and Dubay are full of crap or they've admitted that they have inside information of a certain team violating recruiting regulations :silly:

PA and Dubay are just looking to ruffle the feathers of some UND fans, as they realize that the Gophs chances at a postseason run are faltering as well with the loss of Briggs.

Like redwing77 said, both these players have signed national LOI to play for UND, Lee for 05, VandeVelde more than likely 06, so I would expect them to be suited up for the Sioux in the upcoming years. :silly:

Watched Warroad beat Thief River Falls 4-1 at the little Ralph tonight. It was a great experience, haven't been to a high school hockey game since the early 90's. The atmosphere was awsome, both schools were well represented with loud cheering fans and each schools band took turns from opposite corners of the arena energizing their fans. It obviously makes a big difference having the band and students right down by the ice. :D

Warroad was clearly the better team and should do well representing Section 8 at the state tourny. I was very impressed with the play of Oshie and look forward to seeing him in a Sioux uniform. Noticed in warmups that he has a nice hard low slap shot, but unfotunitely didn't get an oppurtuninty to show it off in the game. He had 1 goal and at least 1 maybe 2 assists (both the goal he scored and 1 he assisted on were scored with him planted in front of the goalie). I was impressed with his puck skills, the way the crashed the net, and how strong on his skates he was. He should do well as a star player for UND, he already has experience with having guys hang on him, crosscheck him in the back of the head, trip him and take cheap slashes at him away from the play, all without any calls. :silly:

I'm not possitive but I could have swore I saw Hak and Berry up in the pressbox maybe getting a look at some more possible recruits. :D

I'm thinking that they've already signed National Letters of Intent (according to Heisenberg).

PA and Dubay are full of crap or they've admitted that they have inside information of a certain team violating recruiting regulations :silly:

Assuming they have the skill, here's some light reading for "duckies and bunnies".

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mhocke...RELEASE_ID=3360

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mhocke...RELEASE_ID=3367

And here's what all that means: http://www.national-letter.org/

It's too convenient that 2 guys from the same high school are all of a sudden "reconsidering". Why would that be? Too coincidental unless the UND coaches ticked off the Moorhead program somehow. Doubt that happened.

Secondly, not a rumor made USCHO or GPL, but Dubay suddenly has info? I don't think so. If there's any credibility to this sort of thing, the tapped in posters on GPL would only be so happy to make mention of it, just like SS posters would as well. These posters would have access to this info as fast or faster than Dubay would.

Thirdly, I haven't seen any mention of this on the boards since then, which tells me most people know it is b.s.

I don't see any smoke. I doubt well find a fire.