SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

On another (BCHL) note, Duncan was also the number 1 star for SSM on Saturday with a hattie and an assist, to take over the #2 spot in BCHL scoring. Kozek remained close behind with a goal and assist in Surrey's win.

The younger Zajac is also starting to show up more regularly in the Salmon Arm scoring.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sprig, I'm curious if the big defenseman for SSM, Dowzak, stood out. He's supposed to be a giant, with pretty good feet. I think he's from the Fergus area, so sort of a tweener for UND and MN. (I'll bet he's never been called a tweener before).

sprig, I'm curious if the big defenseman for SSM, Dowzak, stood out.  He's supposed to be a giant, with pretty good feet.  I think he's from the Fergus area, so sort of a tweener for UND and MN.  (I'll bet he's never been called a tweener before).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He did look big out there, but also (as all SSM players), a very good skater. Impressive laterally movement from a guy that big and didn't make mistakes defensively. He didn't make any big hits, but looks like he could.

Would appear to be a good pickup with the defensive losses the Sioux will face next year.

sprig, I'm curious if the big defenseman for SSM, Dowzak, stood out.  He's supposed to be a giant, with pretty good feet.  I think he's from the Fergus area, so sort of a tweener for UND and MN.  (I'll bet he's never been called a tweener before).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw him play last season and earlier this season in Fargo before again watching him this past Friday. Even from the start of this season, I thought his overall skating had greatly improved.

He is a BIG kid, holds the blueline well and likes to shot the puck, at least he did on Friday.

Dowzak did smear one guy into the boards right at the very beginning (first shift I believe). Hopefully we can lock him up soon so that he doesn't have to think about where he is going through his senior year next year. It would help to have a big strong dman so that no one tries anything with Duncan as far as cheap shots.

Hey, in another year we will be losing perhaps our number one d man when it comes to taking stupid penalties. Smaby will only be able to do so much to pick up the slack. I think that a big d man like Dowzak whose physical play is unsuited for college hockey would be a great complement to Smaby and between the two of them they should more than be able to make up for the loss of Greene.

Smaller, more mobile d men are the way to go in college hockey (Murphy, Williamson, Roche.) UND needs to start recruiting players that will make it the best COLLEGE hockey team and stop worrying about recruiting the best PRO prospects.

Does anyone else find this amusing after the "wonderful" reports of our current big defensemen?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you mean dman complaints on this message board, what difference does that make? The current Sioux d corps have been part of putting up some of the best goals against per game in Sioux history. THey will be hard to replace.

The current Sioux d corps have been part of putting up some of the best goals against per game in Sioux history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True statement, but it doesn't tell the whole story. The current group of defensemen is also part of the problem on the offensive side of the ice. Doug Woog has been like a broken record on this, but he has a point when he talks about UND's lack of a top offensive defensemen.

Smaller, more mobile d men are the way to go in college hockey (Murphy, Williamson, Roche.)  UND needs to start recruiting players that will make it the best COLLEGE hockey team and stop worrying about recruiting the best PRO prospects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree about the mobile d-men. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, CC are all going in this direction.

Chorney was added to the U18 team for the upcoming Five Nations Tourney playing w/Zach Jones and team.

Roster:

Team USA

---------------------

Team Roster

No Name Birthdate Position L/R Height Weight Club

1 Blase, Billy 1987-02-27 GK L 182 82 NTDP

2 Lawson, Kyle 1987-01-11 LD R 181 91 NTDP

4 Chorney, Taylor 1987-04-27 LD R 182 82 Shatuck St. Mary's

5 Morin, Chad 1988-04-15 LD L 182 85 NTDP

6 Jones, Zach 1987-01-14 LD L 180 85 NTDP

7 Gentile, Brandon 1987-04-23 LD L 183 91 NTDP

8 Kessel, Phil 1987-10-02 RW R 183 84 NTDP

9 Gerbe, Nathan 1987-07-27 RW L 167 73 NTDP

10 Rau, Chad 1987-01-18 RW L 182 77 Des Moines Buccaneers

11 Fraser, Jimmy 1987-01-16 RW R 182 77 NTDP

12 MacVoy, Zac 1987-03-07 RW R 185 97 NTDP

15 Foligno, Nick 1987-10-31 RW R 183 82 Sudbury Wolves

16 Bailey, Jason 1987-06-04 RW R 183 94 NTDP

17 Mitera, Mark 1987-10-22 LD L 191 90 NTDP

18 Mueller, Peter 1988-04-14 RW R 188 91 NTDP

19 Stoa, Ryan 1987-04-13 RW L 190 91 NTDP

20 Skille, Jack 1987-05-19 RW R 185 91 NTDP

22 Lawrence, Jason 1987-02-02 RW R 180 83 NTDP

23 Mercier, Justin 1987-06-25 RW L 182 78 NTDP

27 Johnson, Jack 1987-01-13 LD L 185 91 NTDP

30 Frazee, Jeff 1987-05-13 GK L 183 82 NTDP

47 Strait, Brian 1988-01-04 LD L 183 82 NTDP

True statement, but it doesn't tell the whole story. The current group of defensemen is also part of the problem on the offensive side of the ice. Doug Woog has been like a broken record on this, but he has a point when he talks about UND's lack of a top offensive defensemen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Wooger harps on many things Sioux that are a bit over the top (sudo-assists :lol: ). Our current D have been very good, in general, at moving the puck up to the forwards, who, in most games, have created a number of good scoring chances. One dman who scores cannot replace a whole team of forwards that cannot.

Great to see Chorney added to that team. Wonder if Toews will play for Canada?

Someone mentioned bringing Dowzak in to protect Duncan.  I was just wondering if any of you believe that Blais jumped on Greene for the same reason only to protect Parise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Protection is an NHL thing, and is hardly needed in college hockey. Greene is an excellent dman, in spite of all the ragging on him that goes on in this forum.

Looks like the U18 tournament in Sweden has as its participants: Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czechs, USA, so Toews will not be there playing for Canada.

The U17 tournament field is: Slovakia, Germany, Switzerland, USA.

Looks like the U18 tournament in Sweden has as its participants: Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czechs, USA, so Toews will not be there playing for Canada.

The U17 tournament field is: Slovakia, Germany, Switzerland, USA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the tournament Team USA is preparing for would be the 2005 World Under-18 Championship in Ceske Budejovice and Plzen, Czech Republic, to be played in mid-April. Canada will be there and based on his performance at the recent U-17 I wouldn't be surprised if Toews is invited. Canada will not announce it's roster until the first week in April.

Actually, the tournament Team USA is preparing for would be the 2005 World Under-18 Championship in Ceske Budejovice and Plzen, Czech Republic, to be played in mid-April.  Canada will be there and based on his performance at the recent U-17 I wouldn't be surprised if Toews is invited.  Canada will not announce it's roster until the first week in April.

I was referring to the tournament driscol referenced above. Play begins today, and I think the U.S.'s first game is tomorrow. Chorney was added to that team, and sprig wondered whether Toews was playing for Canada. I was just letting him know that Canada is not playing in the tournament under discussion.