SiouxSports.com Forum

Charging Students For Football?

Cratter

The Sioux moved into a new non-UND owned hockey facility and started charging students to go to the games.  The Sioux moved into a new non-UND owned football arena, so why not charge them, say $5 to go to a game?

Good point... but one thing to keep in mind is the fact that there aren't people on a list waiting to spend big $$ on football like they are on hockey. In short, there's plenty of supply and little demand.

I think it is good to have the students get in for free, as they bring a considerable amount of atmosphere to the games. Why lose that energy that they bring if we don't have to?

Speaking frankly, why would you like to see them charged?

The Sioux moved into a new non-UND owned hockey facility and started charging students to go to the games.  The Sioux moved into a new non-UND owned football arena, so why not charge them, say $5 to go to a game?

No.

1. Student Activity already pays for this. What are we paying this fee for, if we have to pay for every freaking sporting event we go to?

2. Football is nowhere near as big as hockey is. The only game you could get students to pay for is the Bison game and since there is no Bison game, no selling tickets. Having aa crazy student section that gets in for free is a helluva lot better then a dead student section because half the people there sit on their hands.

3. UND has enough of my money, they don't need more. Even though it isn't really true, it's nice to feel like you are getting to go to FB game for free.

4. May as well charge for BB and VB too while they are at it, since they are moving into a new arena.

Students make The Alerus one of the best home field advantages in D2. If UND is willing to risk that just so they might make more money, it is very sad.

The Sioux moved into a new non-UND owned hockey facility and started charging students to go to the games. The Sioux moved into a new non-UND owned football arena, so why not charge them, say $5 to go to a game?

The difference between the situations?

The season ticket holder sections of The Ralph are sold out plus it's a high-interest student event (sections normally full).

There are football season tickets still available in 201-209, the season ticket holder sections, at The Al; plus, there is still space (normally) available in the student section.

As mentioned, it's supply and demand: Worry about that $5 when the student and season ticket sections at The Al are jammed for a full season or two. Until then let the students go at no charge (other than the student fees) and enjoy the game and boost the attendance numbers in the process.

Charging students has nothing to do with supply and demand. Before moving into their respective new buildings more people attended, on average, football games than hockey games. It is all about making money. As of right now UND/Alerus makes $0 from students, and if they only 1,000 paid $5 for these seven home games, that is a good amount of money.

The Alerus has one of the best atmosphere in Division 2. Why screw that up? I remember the old Engelstad having one of the best atmospheres in Division 1, but they moved into a new building and started charging students. They didn't seem to care about the atmosphere.

I also propose having only one section in the lower part of the Alerus and moving the rest of the student sections to the "upper" part, therefore allowing the season ticket holders to have better seats which will result in more money as seen in Ralph Engelstad Arena

Jesus, what did the students do to piss you off? They should have to pay and they should have to move to the "upper" part of the sections other than one? That sounds like a real sweet deal. The students support the team in the Alerus, helping them in at least a small part to win all six of the playoff games there and what is their reward for? They get charged, lose seats and have to move up 20 rows.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like you have something against the students at FB games for some reason.

To say that FB games averaged more people than hockey games before both teams moved is deceiving. The old Ralph could hold 6,067, Memorial could hold way more especially when standing room was allowed onto the field.

I think it is supply and demand. They can not sell out the Alerus right now for any FB games, REA is sold out for nearly every hockey game.

I don't know the answer so I'll ask, how many FB season ticket holders are there? Is there a wait list to get season FB tickets like there is for hockey?

I also propose having only one section in the lower part of the Alerus and moving the rest of the student sections to the "upper" part, therefore allowing the season ticket holders to have better seats which will result in more money as seen in Ralph Engelstad Arena

So you don't like the current atmosphere at the Al??? Without the student section close to the field screaming like a bunch of chimpanzees theres no way that UND would have won some of the playoff games they have.

I guess making money is more important than keeping the students (who pay season tuition) happy..... :p

Full-time students pay $216.75 a year in student fees, a portion of which is an activity fee, according to the Business office

I don't think it's exactly right to say that the Alerus and UND aren't getting any money from the students. The students are definitely using the concession stands and the 21 year olds are drinking the $5 beers (they just stand and drink them in the concourse, since they can't have the beer in their seats).

My season tickets are right next to the student section, and I wouldn't have it set up any other way. I love being right next to them, they definitely are intimidating to the opposing team. That wouldn't happen if they were upper deck or even just smaller in numbers.

I think that if the students were charged, most of them would just stay home or stay outside and tailgate instead of paying the $5.

Charging students has nothing to do with supply and demand.  Before moving into their respective new buildings more people attended, on average, football games than hockey games.  It is all about making money.  As of right now UND/Alerus makes $0 from students, and if they only 1,000 paid $5 for these seven home games, that is a good amount of money. 

The Alerus has one of the best atmosphere in Division 2.  Why screw that up?  I remember the old Engelstad having one of the best atmospheres in Division 1, but they moved into a new building and started charging students.  They didn't seem to care about the atmosphere. 

There is nothing that supply and demand DOESN'T have to do with.

If the REA seats 14000 or whatever and 14000 people are willing to pay to watch, would you only let 11000 pay and let 3000 students get in for free? If you would then you deserve to be fired.

If the Alerus seats 10000 or whatever but only 5000 are willing to pay to get in, who cares if 5000 people get in for free? Those seats are just going to waste otherwise.

Student fees help pay for my football ticket, but not for my hockey ticket? What happens if I don't like football, I'm paying for a ticket I'm not using.....I think that arguement is flawed.

I am a student and a big Sioux football and hockey fan. No I don't want to pay $5 to go to a game. I was just comparing the two non-UND owned athletic arenas and how we now have to pay for one and not the other. But many read "lets start charging UND students for football tickets," which of course I just took that stance to play devil's advocate and get some good discussion going and try to liven up the board. How many teams in Division II/I-AA charge their students to watch the games?

A lot of the arguements were for atmosphere etc. I agree 100% now go back and read your posts comparing what you wrote now to Engelstad Arena and all those could apply, like I wonder how good the atmosphere would be at the Ralph Engelstad Arena if all student sections were in the lower bowl and allowed to stand like at football games. I believe the atmosphere would increase ten fold.

A lot of the arguements were for atmosphere etc. I agree 100% now go back and read your posts comparing what you wrote now to Engelstad Arena and all those could apply, like I wonder how good the atmosphere would be at the Ralph Engelstad Arena if all student sections were in the lower bowl and allowed to stand like at football games. I believe the atmosphere would increase ten fold.

IMO, it would be rocking better than the old Ralph because of one word: BEER!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...
Student fees to support athletics are going up.

Part of that deal (can someone find it?) was no direct charge to go to events (except mens hockey).

I'd say the students paid their part of the move.

Student Fees are now at $294.50. I don't want to say that the football team wouldn't win playoff games if the student section wasn't there but example for you.....Humboldt State. From the moment, they entered the game the sidelines were more interested in the student section then the game. The student section had them wrapped up in us the entire game. Quick Question, any of you know where the money that we pay for our seats at the Ralph goes for men's hockey? Last I heard, it goes to the Ralph and not the Athletic department or at least most of it does. Our ticket "price" for the rest of the sports comes from our fees.

In my honest opinion a student should never have to pay for any athletic ticket to any home event and that would include playoffs sponsored by the ncaa.

The school would not exsist or have Athletic teams without students. Leave the paying for alumni, fans and boosters such as myself.

They should have a certain pct of seats for free to all students who can attend. A lottery system of sorts may have to be used.

This would have to be done because obviously you could not give away 12,000 seats to any game. Pick a number 2500-3000 and then sell the rest , but students should never pay in my opinion.

In my honest opinion a student should never have to pay for any athletic ticket to any home event and that would include playoffs sponsored by the ncaa.

The school would not exsist or have Athletic teams without students. Leave the paying for alumni, fans and boosters such as myself.

They should have a certain pct of seats for free to all students who can attend. A lottery system of sorts may have to be used.

This would have to be done because obviously you could not give away 12,000 seats to any game. Pick a number 2500-3000 and then sell the rest , but students should never pay in my opinion.

I like your way of thinking.... :angry: