SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (8-11, 2-3) @ NDSU (12-6, 3-1) 1/19 1 PM

SWSiouxMN

UND continued their struggles down in Brookings as a 1st half blitz by the Bunnies was enough as UND never recovered and they suffered their third loss in a row.  UND now with their third road game in a row, as they lead down I-29 once again to take on in-state rival Bison in Fargo

About NDSU:  

While certainly SDSU has been the dominating force in the Summit league in recent memory, one must not forget about the impact the Bison have had as well.  They were the first Dakota school to get to the dance in 2009, under the coaching of Saul Phillips (although the true architect of the team was Tim Miles, who left the previous season to head to CSU).  It was 5 short years later where Phillips took NDSU to the dance again... and won an NCAA tournament game when they upset Oklahoma.  When Richman took over the next year, he lead the Bison to another trip to the NCAA tournament.  Richman wasn't able to repeat his success the following seasons, and angst began to build in Fargo, especially as SDSU began to pile up trips to the NCAA tournament.  Heck, even UND went the following season!  So after the 17-18 season, Richman overhauled his roster and starting with a season with zero seniors.  The plan was probably to build towards 2019-2020 as the year they went for the dance.  

Funny thing about that plan... it came a year early.  NDSU won down in Sioux Falls and won a play-in game and gave Duke all they could handle (and caused this poster to start thinking about how if NDSU did the impossible, how it could possibly be topped) until Zion did Zion things and ended that dream.  However, the surprise trip allowed Richman to get a new contract and cool some of the angst in Fargo.  

This year, there is no sneaking up on anyone, they are the favorites coming into this thing with all the key pieces coming back minus one (Geu transferred to North Texas).  So far, they have shown that they are meeting expectation, minus a slip up in Tulsa.  They defended the home court against the other favorite USD, and now want to keep another rival from winning on their home court.  They could make it back-to-back trips to the dance and it would match the number of trips that SDSU has made with 5 this year.  Can the Bison do it again?  We will find out

About Dave Richman:

Coach Richman is in his 6th year as head coach at NDSU (108-73, 48-34 Summit).  He has been at NDSU for nearly 20 years now, serving as a GA, then a long time assistant for both Miles and Phillips, and now is the head guy.  He certainly has had his detractors in Fargo with his offensive system, but 2 trips to the NCAA tournament in 5 years cannot be argued, with a potential for a 3rd in 6th years?  When he roster was overhauled, the thinking was this was the year to win.  Now the thinking is going back-to-back.  

Key Player:  Vinnie Shahid (5'11 Senior)

The JUCO transfer from Minneapolis has been a god-send for NDSU.  He has been the heart and soul of this squad since arriving, and should be on the short list for Summit Player of the Year when it is all said and done.  He is one of the better scorers in the conference and can do it from deep and from the free throw line.  He also helps to lead this Bison defense, which has been very solid.  UND is going to have their hands full here in trying to slow things down. 

Series History:

While UND leads the all time series 161-136, but NDSU leads the series at the D1 level 8-4.  NDSU also has a 3 game winning streak going into this against UND as well. 

Injury Watch:

NDSU has been without the services of Sam Griesel and Jared Samuelson in recent games, but could potentially have them back in this game (both were suited but didn't play against USD).

UND is still waiting for Moody to come back from injury, no status on his return.

Milestone Watch:

Marlon Stewart sits at 974 career points (967 at UND).  He could reach 1000 career points in this game (unlikely getting at 1000 career points at UND until the homestand).

DAE sits at 259 points in his freshman year, the freshman record is at 452, which was set by Troy Huff.  If he can get a few more games and can keep scoring at this pace (or increase his average) he could break the record.

Other Game:

SDSU (5-1) @ USD (2-3): The other instate rivalry will be going down in Vermillion, and now turns into yet another must win game for the Yotes if they want to win the regular season crown.  SDSU can take a big step towards being a conference contender with a win.   

Summit League Standings as of 1/18

SDSU 5-1

NDSU 3-1

ORU 4-2

Omaha 3-2

Fort Wayne 2-3

UND 2-3

USD 2-3

WIU 2-4

DU 1-5

Keys:

1) Hit the open shots against the NDSU Defense

2) Limit the impact of the NDSU bench

3) Stars need to play like stars

The Call: 

The big story for UND is finally getting that win against the I-29 schools.  UND sits at 0-11 against the I-29 schools since joining the Summit and that needs to change. The Bison are sitting in a good spot, coming off a win against USD, and with a trip to SDSU on the way, they could be sitting alone at the top of the conference.  If UND is going to win, they are going to have to play better on both ends then they have been.  NDSU is the better team, but in rivalry games you can throw records out the window.    With that said... I'm torn:  All logic says that UND is going to lose and go back home with a 2-4 record.  However, the heart wants what it wants...

My head:  NDSU 77-70

My heart: UND 73-71

Game is on ESPN3 and on Midco

*Posters Note:  My usual request for fans on both sides:  Please keep it clean, I really don't want to add more pages to NDSU dumpster thread. 

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

That would insinuate we have talent that isn't being used or lived up to....for which I would disagree with

Talent on this team is limited but they can finish 4-5th in the Summit, imo

Yeah, to me, this is what the last 3 games have shown that they just don't have the depth yet to truly make a push towards the top.  It doesn't help that a big component of your team (Moody) is out of the lineup.   

Getting 2, 6, and 8 points from your bench in their last 3 games hurts. 

Now, until A) Moody comes back or B) Brady or G step into a consistent scoring role or C) both, I don't see this changing. Especially if they are running 7 people out there.  

Your two main takes, I don't disagree.  They aren't underachieving and they can finish strong.  I am hoping that DAE, Rebraca and Stewart can keep up their strong play.  

This team just needs to shoot from outside rather well.  The last two games have been atrocious.

Dont think Richman is that great of coach, but Shahid seems to know the game and take control.

I halfway expect SDSU to come out on top again as they seem to have rebuilding figured out.

12 hours ago, UND1983 said:

That would insinuate we have talent that isn't being used or lived up to....for which I would disagree with

Talent on this team is limited but they can finish 4-5th in the Summit, imo

I don’t think the talent level between these two teams is very big at all. If you exchange the two point guards, I think UND is a slight favorite. The difference in leadership between Shahid and Stewart is huge. 

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND continued their struggles down in Brookings as a 1st half blitz by the Bunnies was enough as UND never recovered and they suffered their third loss in a row.  UND now with their third road game in a row, as they lead down I-29 once again to take on in-state rival Bison in Fargo

About NDSU:  

While certainly SDSU has been the dominating force in the Summit league in recent memory, one must not forget about the impact the Bison have had as well.  They were the first Dakota school to get to the dance in 2009, under the coaching of Saul Phillips (although the true architect of the team was Tim Miles, who left the previous season to head to CSU).  It was 5 short years later where Phillips took NDSU to the dance again... and won an NCAA tournament game when they upset Oklahoma.  When Richman took over the next year, he lead the Bison to another trip to the NCAA tournament.  Richman wasn't able to repeat his success the following seasons, and angst began to build in Fargo, especially as SDSU began to pile up trips to the NCAA tournament.  Heck, even UND went the following season!  So after the 17-18 season, Richman overhauled his roster and starting with a season with zero seniors.  The plan was probably to build towards 2019-2020 as the year they went for the dance.  

Funny thing about that plan... it came a year early.  NDSU won down in Sioux Falls and won a play-in game and gave Duke all they could handle (and caused this poster to start thinking about how if NDSU did the impossible, how it could possibly be topped) until Zion did Zion things and ended that dream.  However, the surprise trip allowed Richman to get a new contract and cool some of the angst in Fargo.  

This year, there is no sneaking up on anyone, they are the favorites coming into this thing with all the key pieces coming back minus one (Geu transferred to North Texas).  So far, they have shown that they are meeting expectation, minus a slip up in Tulsa.  They defended the home court against the other favorite USD, and now want to keep another rival from winning on their home court.  They could make it back-to-back trips to the dance and it would match the number of trips that SDSU has made with 5 this year.  Can the Bison do it again?  We will find out

About Dave Richman:

Coach Richman is in his 6th year as head coach at NDSU (108-73, 48-34 Summit).  He has been at NDSU for nearly 20 years now, serving as a GA, then a long time assistant for both Miles and Phillips, and now is the head guy.  He certainly has had his detractors in Fargo with his offensive system, but 2 trips to the NCAA tournament in 5 years cannot be argued, with a potential for a 3rd in 6th years?  When he roster was overhauled, the thinking was this was the year to win.  Now the thinking is going back-to-back.  

Key Player:  Vinnie Shahid (5'11 Senior)

The JUCO transfer from Minneapolis has been a god-send for NDSU.  He has been the heart and soul of this squad since arriving, and should be on the short list for Summit Player of the Year when it is all said and done.  He is one of the better scorers in the conference and can do it from deep and from the free throw line.  He also helps to lead this Bison defense, which has been very solid.  UND is going to have their hands full here in trying to slow things down. 

Series History:

While UND leads the all time series 161-136, but NDSU leads the series at the D1 level 8-4.  NDSU also has a 3 game winning streak going into this against UND as well. 

Injury Watch:

NDSU has been without the services of Sam Griesel and Jared Samuelson in recent games, but could potentially have them back in this game (both were suited but didn't play against USD).

UND is still waiting for Moody to come back from injury, no status on his return.

Milestone Watch:

Marlon Stewart sits at 974 career points (967 at UND).  He could reach 1000 career points in this game (unlikely getting at 1000 career points at UND until the homestand).

DAE sits at 259 points in his freshman year, the freshman record is at 452, which was set by Troy Huff.  If he can get a few more games and can keep scoring at this pace (or increase his average) he could break the record.

Other Game:

SDSU (5-1) @ USD (2-3): The other instate rivalry will be going down in Vermillion, and now turns into yet another must win game for the Yotes if they want to win the regular season crown.  SDSU can take a big step towards being a conference contender with a win.   

Summit League Standings as of 1/18

SDSU 5-1

NDSU 3-1

ORU 4-2

Omaha 3-2

Fort Wayne 2-3

UND 2-3

USD 2-3

WIU 2-4

DU 1-5

Keys:

1) Hit the open shots against the NDSU Defense

2) Limit the impact of the NDSU bench

3) Stars need to play like stars

The Call: 

The big story for UND is finally getting that win against the I-29 schools.  UND sits at 0-11 against the I-29 schools since joining the Summit and that needs to change. The Bison are sitting in a good spot, coming off a win against USD, and with a trip to SDSU on the way, they could be sitting alone at the top of the conference.  If UND is going to win, they are going to have to play better on both ends then they have been.  NDSU is the better team, but in rivalry games you can throw records out the window.    With that said... I'm torn:  All logic says that UND is going to lose and go back home with a 2-4 record.  However, the heart wants what it wants...

My head:  NDSU 77-70

My heart: UND 73-71

Game is on ESPN3 and on Midco

*Posters Note:  My usual request for fans on both sides:  Please keep it clean, I really don't want to add more pages to NDSU dumpster thread. 

W/o Moody this will be tough game for a win.

Need to contest Bison 3's

Limit our TO's

Points in the paint.  Rebracca needs to play big.

Someone Brady, Walters, DAE or Billy needs to step with some 3's.

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

I don’t think the talent level between these two teams is very big at all. If you exchange the two point guards, I think UND is a slight favorite. The difference in leadership between Shahid and Stewart is huge. 

Was I comparing UND to NDSU?  The leadership of Shahid isn't why NDSU can win some games, my gawd.   

Slow your roll Wooden, the Bison are still an average team in a down league.  

This is a winnable game, have 3 solid players, depends on if Brown decides to shoot and depends 0n if the good, the bad or the ugly side of Walters shows up.

walters can do some really good things and then the next thing he has 3 crazy fouls. It seems like he just gets in those spots and bad things happen

heres hoping for a fast start and a W.