SiouxSports.com Forum

Manitoba Bisons @ UND -- Exhibition

stoneySIOUX

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

You either missed the point or just felt the need to worship Duluth again. 

If we pulled half the crap Duluth pulls, we’re spending half the game in the box. Duluth is lucky they get away with all that crap. 

We don't have to run intentionally into a goalie or flop on the ice pretending to be hurt.
We need to play with some serious intensity.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We don't have to run intentionally into a goalie or flop on the ice pretending to be hurt.
We need to play with some serious intensity.

Is there a question that this team played hard last year? I certainly don't think there was. We consistently controlled puck possession and territory all year, but just could not pot goals to save our lives.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Is there a question that this team played hard last year? I certainly don't think there was. We consistently controlled puck possession and territory all year, but just could not pot goals to save our lives.

We were intense and worked hard, but Duluth was way more physical.  It was hard watching Duluth bully us.  In my mind there are only two ways to defeat this - hit them back or put a large number of pucks in the goal.  We did neither.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

You either missed the point or just felt the need to worship Duluth again

If we pulled half the crap Duluth pulls, we’re spending half the game in the box. Duluth is lucky they get away with all that crap. 

We did have our inconsistencies (I'll use Duluth again, below).  Yet with all these SOG, puck possession, were we mentally ready for each game? Something missing? Killer instinct? or ??

I am a Sioux fan and now also a Hawk fan. I have close friends that played with Berry and Sandelin for this U. My loyalty is to this U. Making positive comments about Sandelin UND '86  isn't about hurting anybodies feelings on here.

A group of us (all cheered for UND) went to Duluth last season and watched a 5-0 shellacking.  Made a post on this board prior to Saturdays game something to the effect that the consensus was that we beat Duluth in this next game, mostly because of the way we got thrashed (embarrassing) and our intensity will be up a notch all game long.  CONSISTENCY.

We need to thrash Winnipeg and Canisius to open this season. The mind set moving forward from there will pay dividends.

25 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We did have our inconsistencies (I'll use Duluth again, below).  Yet with all these SOG, puck possession, were we mentally ready for each game? Something missing? Killer instinct? or ??

I am a Sioux fan and now also a Hawk fan. I have close friends that played with Berry and Sandelin for this U. My loyalty is to this U. Making positive comments about Sandelin UND '86  isn't about hurting anybodies feelings on here.

A group of us (all cheered for UND) went to Duluth last season and watched a 5-0 shellacking.  Made a post on this board prior to Saturdays game something to the effect that the consensus was that we beat Duluth in this next game, mostly because of the way we got thrashed (embarrassing) and our intensity will be up a notch all game long.  CONSISTENCY.

We need to thrash Winnipeg and Canisius to open this season. The mind set moving forward from there will pay dividends.

GOAL. SCORING. 

29 minutes ago, Irish said:

We were intense and worked hard, but Duluth was way more physical.  It was hard watching Duluth bully us.  In my mind there are only two ways to defeat this - hit them back or put a large number of pucks in the goal.  We did neither.

Yes, we couldn’t score (as we have all discussed), so that wouldn’t work, and if we hit them back we likely go to the box and our penalty kill sucked last year. Kind of a tough spot. So clearly improving our PK is the way to go. UMD’s PK when we played them last year was over 90 percent so that’s why they do whatever they want and not care. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Work as hard as you want and have all the puck possession time you want, but if you're going to be tossed around by your opponents physically and not have any slot or net presence to create goal scoring opportunities then you'll see the same result we've seen the last two seasons. It'll be lots of shots, lots of puck possession and fewer than 5 scoring oppurtunites in an entire game and a big L handed to you in a low scoring tilt. 

Size plays a part, but mostly the core of this team just doesn't have the fight needed to be more physical and hungry for the puck and for scoring opportunities. How often did we see UND crash the net hard on zone entries? Very few. The toughest guys on the ice are very rarely the largest, and anyone who has played hockey (or even other sports) knows that is very true. I sure hope some of these freshman will bring some bite to this team, because the core we've had for the past two years avoid contact, and wrap around the net instead of crashing the net. Extremely boring and frustrating to watch. Yes someone will mention Cole Smith...but he doesn't have what I'm talking about. He just has the head hunter mentality and certainly is a big mean tough guy, but I'd rather have the mean little guys who can score and who's motors never stop. Just in recent memory obviously guys like Cagguila and Frattin fit the bill. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Work as hard as you want and have all the puck possession time you want, but if you're going to be tossed around by your opponents physically and not have any slot or net presence to create goal scoring opportunities then you'll see the same result we've seen the last two seasons. It'll be lots of shots, lots of puck possession and fewer than 5 scoring oppurtunites in an entire game and a big L handed to you in a low scoring game. 

Size plays a part, but mostly the core of this team just doesn't have the fight needed to be more physical and hungry for the puck and for scoring opportunities. How often did we see UND crash the net hard on zone entries? Very few. The toughest guys on the ice are very rarely the largest, and anyone who has played hockey (or even other sports) knows that is very true. I sure hope some of these freshman will bring some bite to this team, because the core we've had for the past two years avoid contact, and wrap around the net instead of crashing the net. Extremely boring and frustrating to watch. 

This describes last year's team to a T.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Work as hard as you want and have all the puck possession time you want, but if you're going to be tossed around by your opponents physically and not have any slot or net presence to create goal scoring opportunities then you'll see the same result we've seen the last two seasons. It'll be lots of shots, lots of puck possession and fewer than 5 scoring oppurtunites in an entire game and a big L handed to you in a low scoring tilt. 

Size plays a part, but mostly the core of this team just doesn't have the fight needed to be more physical and hungry for the puck and for scoring opportunities. How often did we see UND crash the net hard on zone entries? Very few. The toughest guys on the ice are very rarely the largest, and anyone who has played hockey (or even other sports) knows that is very true. I sure hope some of these freshman will bring some bite to this team, because the core we've had for the past two years avoid contact, and wrap around the net instead of crashing the net. Extremely boring and frustrating to watch. Yes someone will mention Cole Smith...but he doesn't have what I'm talking about. He just has the head hunter mentality and certainly is a big mean tough guy, but I'd rather have the mean little guys who can score and who's motors never stop. Just in recent memory obviously guys like Cagguila and Frattin fit the bill. 

Just recruit more Frattins and Caggiulas, why didn't anyone think of that?!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Just give us a team full of guys the complete opposite of Casey Johnson and they'll win a lot of games. 

I still can't take Barry seriously as a HC letting guys like him and Rieger to take up valuable roster space. Those guys will struggle in Beer League after college 

PST Nominee 2019

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

58 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

GOAL. SCORING. 

Thank you. I'd argue we were mentally fine in nearly every game other than WMU early in the year. Our play showed this. Goal scoring was the problem.

43 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I feel like we are watching different teams. I don't see how anyone thinks last year's team didn't grind/work hard/were hungry. You don't have that much TOP with guys who don't grind out shifts and work hard. Smith, Senden, Keane, Bowen, Rhett, Jones are all prime examples. It's fine having a difference of opinion and I'm not attacking you, whatsoever, I just don't see this. I consistently saw net front presence, slot chances, but not any solid finishing. At least consistently. 

I feel like we are watching different teams. I don't see how anyone thinks last year's team didn't grind/work hard/were hungry. You don't have that much TOP with guys who don't grind out shifts and work hard. Smith, Senden, Keane, Bowen, Rhett, Jones are all prime examples. It's fine having a difference of opinion and I'm not attacking you, whatsoever, I just don't see this. I consistently saw net front presence, slot chances, but not any solid finishing. At least consistently. 

Agree for the most part.

I felt that our forwards lacked offensive creativity to do anything in the o-zone.  The strategy was to get in the o-zone, pass it back to the D, and go to the net for a rebound.  Every offensive possession.  Did we crash the net hard for rebounds?  Not really; not with any sort of consistency.  That has to improve dramatically, however, I feel the critical issue with last year's team is they turned into robots.  The forward grouped never cycled the puck to their F line mates and never had more than two consecutive passes within the F group.  So vanilla.  This has to change.  I fully understand the importance of having mobile/rangy/offensive-minded D-men however we got way too predictable.  Everything was to the perimeter.

• Upvote 1