SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2002/03 Updates

jk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salmon Arm finished its regular season Sunday, with Brady Murray getting points number 100 and 101 on the year. He finished third in BCHL scoring witn 42-59-101 in 59 games. Congratulations to Brady on a fine season, and good luck in the playoffs.

Chris Porter has also continued to regularly grace the scoresheet with his presence at Lincoln in the second half of the season. In his first 28 games, Porter was 3-8-11. In 22 games since then, he is 10-14-24, for a 50-game total of 13-22-35.

35 points in 50 games isn't exactly lighting up a junior league, but his second-half contribution is encouraging. It's also worth noting that his 2003 points are in the ballpark with the other highly touted Division I recruits at Lincoln. Porter has 15 points in 2003, compared to Irmen's 19, Backes's 13, and Potulny's 12 (Potulney has missed the last five games with an injury).

• 3 weeks later...

Brady Murray was recognized with some BCHL Interior Conference awards (from mytelus.com):

"Murray posted 101 points and was runner-up for the Sandman Inn Trophy as Most Valuable Player, won by Vernon goaltender Matt Zaba and gained similar status for the Bruce Allison Memorial Trophy for Rookie of the Year won by 16-year-old Quesnel forward Gilbert Brule.

Forwards for the 1st All Star Team were 53-goal scorer Curtis Fraser of Vernon, Trail

Salmon Arm's season ended last night with a 7-6 2OT loss to Trail in the deciding game of their five-game series. (Yes, in the BCHL, the first round is seven games, followed by a five-gamer in the second round. ?!?)

Trail's goalie had 50 saves. SA's two goalies combined for 25. It's all about goaltending.

On that note, GO JAKE BRANDT.

• 2 weeks later...

Shattuck is playing in the midget national tournament this week. They are 2-0, with the last preliminary game later today. In a 7-4 opening win, Drew Stafford went 1-2-3. He followed that lackluster effort with a stellar 2-5-7 in Shattuck's 7-3 win.

Another SSM name that has been linked to UND is junior Ryan Duncan (his dad may have some ties to UND). This year he put up 27-29-56 in 45 games. In the first two tournament games, he has 2-2-4.

Matt Smaby is also playing and probably smashing some poor unsuspecting youths.

The article says Smaby is going to opt-in to the draft. The NHL draft totally confuses me. Why did DiPietro have to opt-in and therefore lose his college eligibility but Smaby doesn't lose his? Is it because Smaby won't be playing college hockey when he opts-in? And why don't Vanek and Parise have to opt-in?

You have to "opt-in" if you're 18 or 19 (20-year-olds are automatically eligibile). Opting in when you're 18 forfeits your NCAA eligibility. Therefore, the soonest NCAA players can be drafted without losing their eligibility is when they're 19. HOWEVER, it doesn't go by your age the date of the draft, rather it goes by your age on Sept. 15 the year of the draft.

So, any players who are 19 or older on Sept. 15, 2003, can be drafted in 2003 entry draft without losing eligibility. Players who are 18 or older on Sept. 15, 2003, can be drafted in 2003 but lose eligibility. Anyone who is 20 can be signed as a free agent and doesn't have to go through the entry draft.

Edit--There's also currently a loophole by which players who have been drafted from the NCAA can stay in school for two years, then leave, and become unrestricted free agents despite having been drafted, but that will certainly be closed in the next CBA.

As usual, someone will correct me if I got it wrong or missed a detail :D

Wooo-hoooo! I get to correct Jim! :D

A proposal was made and adopted by the NCAA after the DiPietro situation.

What was adopted: To permit an individual prior to initial full-time collegiate enrollment to enter a professional league's draft and/or be drafted without jeopardizing intercollegiate eligibility.

Smaby will be drafted prior to initial enrollment, thus, no loss of eligibility.

PS - Parise turns 19 in July so no issues there with eligibility either.

Wooo-hoooo! I get to correct Jim!

:D Alright, tough guy, I have the Internet too. The rule changes you quote are from 1999 (though not in effect until 2002), DePietro was drafted in 2000, so they definitely weren't in response to DePietro.

DePietro opted in after he was in college but while he was still too young, so would have lost his eligibility even if that new regulation had been in effect. The DePietro issue was that he was a young true freshman, so couldn't opt-in after his freshman year without losing eligibility, whereas almost all other hockey players who have played one year in the NCAA can.

I will give you that it looks like that new regulation is what allows Smaby to put his name on the list without losing eligibility.

SSM won their national tournament today. In six games, Crosby was 10-8-18, Stafford was 6-12-18, and Duncan was 5-5-10. Of course, only Stafford is a Sioux recruit at this itme. Congrats to Drew and Matt Smaby.

Stafford is going to Russia with the US under 18 team to the World Championships. Even though he has been in the shadow of Parise and Crosby, he has the size speed and stats to be a top six forward next year. According to USA Hockey Website he won the Overall Easton skills challenge including fastest skater at (6'2", 210lbs), and puckhandling drill.

I couldn't find all of the Easton skills challenge results. Thanks for the info. Stafford really seems to be coming on.

While I was browsing the USA site, I did see that the 14U fastest skater competition was won by Mario Lamoreaux. He finished third in scoring in his age group with 7-8-15 in six games. The "North Dakota 88" team made it to the championship game, where it lost 4-3.

It sure would be fun to cheer for a hockey team with a brother trio named Phillipe, Jacques and Mario Lamoreaux. Now that sounds like hockey!

Jason Notermann's 15 year old cousin Zach Bearson scored a gwg for Team Illinois in OT and also had a good tourney with 2 goals and 4 assists and he is eligible for two more years..

Way to go Zach. He is about 6'2" Team Illinois won the MAC tourney in Canada this year..

Also they only lost to Shattuck 5-4 in the finals yesterday. Maybe the Sioux can take a look at him for the future too!.. He was on the 15 selects too!

jcn Way to go Zach!!! ;):)

Drew Stafford is playing with the U.S. team at the Under-18 world championships this week. The U.S. tied Belarus 3-3 (blowing a 3-0 third-period lead; they would love to have Michigan's Montoya) and today beat Slovakia 3-2. Stafford has an even-strength goal in each game. From what I can gather, he looks to be on the third line; I don't know whether he has been getting any power-play time. In any case, accounting for two of the U.S.'s six goals to date is a fine showing.

The U18 team finished 4th, with a 6-3 loss to Russia. Stafford finished 2nd in scoring for the US, with 3g, 3a. Unfortunately there are no box scores listed on usahockey.com, so it is difficult to see any other players stats.