SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2002/03 Updates

jk

On POI the word is that the Gophers have signed a goalie. While they are all so tight lipped and mysterious it is pretty obvious from the hints and tidbits the "experts" toss out to the drooling masses that Nate Ziegelman has committed to the U of M.

While I hate to see another ND boy go south there is only so much room right now for a goalie....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ziegelman committed to Minnesota? What? Someone must have paid him because there's no way he would have chosen to go there otherwise! ???:)

Seriously, while I don't like UND losing yet another ND kid to the Gophers, I wish him the best nonetheless.

The reaction on this board when UND loses a top local kid is quite different than the reaction on POI when MN loses a top local kid. I'm not saying arrogance has anything to do with it, but.....well, yes I am. :p

I think it's just a carry over from the now-defunct all-Minnesotan pride on ice days. Though the experiment of playing all-Minnesota kids proved unsuccessful, the attitudes born in that era still survive. When they were playing only Minnesota kids, it was critical to get all the best talent from Minnesota. It's never bothered UND fans to have someone from Thunder Bay (or S-SM ???) score the NCAA-winning goal. Therefore, getting the best talent from ND is less critical than just getting the best talent.

That said, I certainly understand the appeal of seeing the kids at the high schools you follow going on to the college for which you cheer. For ND fans, I think it's sort of like when Kleinsasser went to the Vikings. No one would've wished him ill had he gone to the Packers, it's just nice to see a local boy move up into another team you like.

Interesting comment on the draft and leaving early.

Ready in many ways. This summer Parise is expected to be plucked in the first round of the NHL entry draft, but he is adamant about remaining at North Dakota for at least one more season so he can play with Smaby, Stafford and former Shattuck players Brady Murray and Chris Porter, who are headed to the Sioux from the United States Hockey League.

Two things in the article were very encouraging. One was the quote where Zach says "I love college."

The other was the part where he is adamant about staying at least one more year, saying he'd rather play in college than in the minors. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

Not to look past this season, because the Sioux are doing great, but I think next season is going to be something really special. It sounds like the schedule will include some top notch NC games. Plus we get the rodents at the Ralph.

Assuming D. Hale returns, there will be even tighter defense next season. Offensively, they'll probably blow a lot of teams away. Players like Lundbohm, Massen, Bochenski & Schneider will just get better.

I'm plotting my 2003-4 Frozen Four scheme already. Wait a minute, didn't I do that in '98-99? Oh, well, the Anaheim trip was fun.

Assuming D. Hale returns, there will be even tighter defense next season. Offensively, they'll probably blow a lot of teams away. Players like Lundbohm, Massen, Bochenski & Schneider will just get better.

You have to wonder. There has been so much talk about him at some point leaving for the pros. Last year was not his best but there was still talk. This year he is playing great and Blais is really talking him up. It would be great to have him back but usually where there is smoke there is fire.

There was a lot of talk of Bayda going pro and even though he said he wasn't going to, there he goes. Same with David. I think it might be too much to hope that he stays. It would be great if he did, and time will tell. We've been bitten by the "early" bug lately more than I like. It would be nice not to have someone leave early for once.

We have 2 D coming in next year (Dahlen and Smaby). That would be 9 on the roster. Is that too many?

The fact that Parise wants to stay and play with his friends from Shattuck speaks highly of their character and skill as well don't you think? You hear all this praise for Parise's work ethic and hockey sense...he must know good players when he sees (plays with) them!!

Go Sioux!