SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2002/03 Updates

jk

Since the Sioux season is still four weeks away, I though I would look in on the progress of some future Sioux players. Of course, their seasons are just starting as well, so there's not too much going on yet.

Feel free to post updates throughout the year, especially if someone happens to actually *see* someone play. Thanks.

Brady Murray's Salmon Arm team is 1-1, playing only two games in the first 14 days of BCHL play. They follow that by playing six games in nine days. Murray had one goal (an e.n.g.) in SA's win, and I haven't seen stats on its loss.

Topeka played in the preseason Buc Bowl, where Erik Fabian (has he ever been confirmed as a recruit?) put two assists up in one game. Layne Sedevie also won his only outing there, stopping 25 of 26 shots in a 2-1 win.

I know that Shattuck has played Bozeman in the AWHL, but I'm not sure of results or stats. Even so, I would think that it won't be much of a year for stat-watching for Matt Smaby, as his strengths lie elsewhere.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Porter

Lincoln Stars

http://www.lincolnstars.com/

Matt Smaby

Shattuck St. Mary's

http://www.s-sm.org/Athletics/Team.aspx?TeamId=18

They don't have a roster listed but the Shattuck site lists rosters for some of the younger teams, so would expect that is coming

Brady Murray

Salmon Arm Silverbacks

http://www.sasilverbacks.com/main.html

(2 points in 2 games so far)

Layne Sedevie

Eric Fabian

Topeka Scarecrows

http://www.topekascarecrows.com/

Replacement for Fournier?:D?:0???

Last year, as a USHL rookie, Fabian had 11 goals. I was wondering why Blais recruited him besides his size.

It looks like the kid has a good work ethic from his comments in the article.

Two goals in the most recent game. He could have a big season for Topeka. Sedevie looks excellent so far, too.

Brady Murray's Salmon Arm team has started fast, with a 6-1 record. In last night's win, Murray was 2-2-4, bringing his season totals to 6-4-10. He's playing on SA's top line with Viedeman, who just committed to Denver, and Nikiforuk, another small skill guy. Murray has points on three empty-netters this year, which you might view as diluting his stats a bit. Or you could view it as him being on the ice at the end of the game, which speaks to his important role on the team. Plus, empty-netters can be important. Just ask Lee Goren (and Mike Motteau). And I'm sure Maine wouldn't have minded one about six months ago.

Anyway, good job, Brady.

On the USHL site it lists Fabian and Sedevie as the 2 Topeka players committed to college hockey programs, both to UND.

Topeka ScareCrows

Eric Fabian - University of North Dakota

Layne Sedevie - University of North Dakota

Sedevie's preseason was great, but his first game was forgettable. 29 saves on 36 shots. ouch!

Murray's Salmon Arm team continues to cruise, with a 9-game winning streak and a 10-1 record. His linemate Nikiforuk is the BCHL's leading scorer with 12-12-24, Murray is third in the league with 7-14-21, and the other linemate Viedeman (Denver) is 10-7-17. In his last five games, Murray is 3-12-15. Three points per game in a good league.

This is obviously THE line in the BCHL this year. I wonder how BCHLers compare it to last year's line at Chilliwak, where Tambellini (Michigan, 117 points in 54 games), Vandergulik (BU, 100 in 56) and Gauthier (Denver, 99 in 50) lit it up.

They have video clips of goals on the Salmon Arm site, in the "Clips of the Week" section. You can see a few of Murray's goals there, which is fun, but it's very interesting to watch his linemates' goals. I don't think I saw one where #24 (Murray) didn't touch the puck just before someone put it in. It made me think of Blais's comment on Parise's linemates getting rich. Murray's linemates are currently getting rich. I also got the impression during goal celebrations that Murray is bigger than Nikiforuk, which may explain why he isn't committed to a college yet.

Awesome clips. Wonder if Nikiforuk is interested in college and DI. We'd take him in a second, I'm sure.

Maybe Murray can help reel him in. If I were a BC poster, I'd start penciling him in (although he may not have an interest in college) :D

Appears that Parise may have given the Sioux an inside track in the recruiting efforts at SSM, now and possibly into the future. Interesting interview on last night's WDAZ 10PM news. WebLink at : http://new.in-forum.com/wdaz/

Do you remember Blais saying "Everybody wants to play with him" or something like that?

He's a special player. Who knows how long he will be around but Sioux fans should see any game they can. It sounds like Parise's impact may go beyond what he does on the ice.

I'm not trying to deify the kid. What I am saying is, with what we have heard about him, it would appear he is:

A. A damn good player

B. The charisma to be a very good leader

C. Goal oriented with a strong work ethic

D. His head screwed on right.

These all combine into a rare combination.

In similar fashion, Sedevie gave up 3 shoot-out goals and Ziegelman 0 in an OT loss to Lincoln. In further bad news for Sioux goalies Lamaroux was pulled in the 1st period of that game after giving up 3 goals on 9 shots.

Darn.

They will bounce back.

In similar fashion, Sedevie gave up 3 shoot-out goals and Ziegelman 0 in an OT loss to Lincoln.  In further bad news for Sioux goalies Lamaroux was pulled in the 1st period of that game after giving up 3 goals on 9 shots.

Darn.  

They will bounce back.

Ah, you can't win them all...

What year is Phil coming to UND. I heard this kid is an incredable goalie.