SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2002/03 Updates

jk

Here are some updates:

Murray 23 gp, 12-30-42. Tied for third in BCHL scoring. Just had a 1-5-6 game in a 7-6 win. Missed one game with a slight concussion.

Stafford 19 gp, 9-19-28. Last I heard he was not playing on Crosby's line, which makes his numbers more impressive, to me. Crosby, BTW, is 20-31-51 in 19 gp.

Porter 17gp, 2-6-8. Seems to be having trouble adjusting to the USHL, at least based on the stats. Ugly -7 so far.

Fabian 13 gp, 5-2-7.

Smaby 18 gp, 2-7-9. 31 PIMs.

Lamoreaux 5-3, 2.805 GAA, .906

Sedevie 5-3-2, 2.535 GAA, .900

As for their teams:

Salmon Arm (Murray) is 16-8 and in second place in its division.

SSM (Stafford, Smaby) is 15-4.

Lincoln (Porter, Lamoreaux) is 12-4-1, the best record in the USHL.

Topeka (Fabian, Sedevie) is 6-5-2, which puts them last in the USHL's West Division, but would be good enough for second in the East.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stafford 19 gp, 9-19-28. Last I heard he was not playing on Crosby's line, which makes his numbers more impressive, to me.

jk,

on the other hand, if he isn't on Crosby's line, that means he is probably putting up the majority of his points against the other team's 2nd or 3rd line. Sort of puts things into into an equal minded perspective. :D

Another sore spot with the UofM fans. Of course they claim its not because they got Hirsch but I like the fact that some good kids are coming to UND from there. No matter where they come from. Except from Russia. :0

I don't know about anyone else but I beginning to feel that UND is going to return to the top and stay there for some time if we keep landing these top kids. ;):0:0:0;);););):D:0;)

I smell a couple of titles in the future...

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Shattuck in the final game of that elite Tournament in New Hope last weekend. Smaby double shifted at D. He's a steady skilled D-man with great mobility for his size. For the last period and the entire overtime Stafford and Crosby double shifted at center between 3 sets of wingers. Stafford took every one of the defensive zone faceoffs though. Crosby definately has great puck sense and savvy, Stafford is a prototype power forward. He has a powerful wide skating stride, and uses his body well, but he has really good hands too, he set up some nice plays and had some good chances. The other goalie played out of his mind. I'm pretty sure Shattuck outshot Minnesota by quite a bit. All in all we (the Sioux) were well represented!! :angry:

I saw Shattuck in the final game of that elite Tournament in New Hope last weekend. Smaby double shifted at D. He's a steady skilled D-man with great mobility for his size. For the last period and the entire overtime Stafford and Crosby double shifted at center between 3 sets of wingers. Stafford took every one of the defensive zone faceoffs though. Crosby definately has great puck sense and savvy, Stafford is a prototype power forward. He has a powerful wide skating stride, and uses his body well, but he has really good hands too, he set up some nice plays and had some good chances. The other goalie played out of his mind. I'm pretty sure Shattuck outshot Minnesota by quite a bit. All in all we (the Sioux) were well represented!! :angry:

fan, it sounds like you know your hockey. I wouldn't have thought to notice who was taking the defensive zone face-offs, etc. That's one of the great things I get from reading these boards. Tidbits that help me learn the game better.

Thanks for the input and the scouting report.

dagies:

McMahon did a lot of the late defensive zone face-offs Friday. Lundbohm did the key late ones Saturday. Each was the "hot hand" at the time.

Coach Blais was also tending to send Parise's line out when the puck was already in the Wisconsin zone for the face-off.

Doesn't everybody notice those things? :angry:

dagies:

McMahon did a lot of the late defensive zone face-offs Friday. Lundbohm did the key late ones Saturday. Each was the "hot hand" at the time.

Coach Blais was also tending to send Parise's line out when the puck was already in the Wisconsin zone for the face-off.

Doesn't everybody notice those things? ???

Not on streaming audio :angry:

dagies:

And wasn't Lundbohm a guy who was having trouble with face-offs last year?

That's interesting about Parise because I thought he had done fairly well on face-offs from what I had seen.

I did notice we are doing better in the face off department. It was a welcome change, I suppose they have been working on face off drills in practice too this year.

Just a question Noterman mentioned shooting drills up coming for the next week. What exactly are shooting drills? Anyone have any insight on that?

Goaltender on UW's list

University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves needs a goaltender to round out his 2003-2004 recruiting class, a process that has produced a target in western Canada.

Mike Brodeur, the top goaltender in the Alberta Junior Hockey League, will make an official campus visit next week when the Badgers close out the first half of the regular season by playing host to Western Collegiate Hockey Association rival Minnesota.

Brodeur, listed at 6-foot-2 and 175 pounds, currently is 12-7 with a 2.33 goals-against average and .927 save percentage for the Camrose Kodiaks.

A product of Calgary, Alberta, Brodeur said UW is the only school with which he has scheduled a visit. However, he said he plans to make at least three more: Colorado College, Massachusetts-Amherst and Minnesota. North Dakota also is in the picture.

"Wisconsin is high on my list, but I'm still kind of looking around," Brodeur said.

I found this in the wsj...

According to Brodeur, Gophers coach Don Lucia has talked about signing him at the semester break because the current Minnesota tandem of Travis Weber and Justin Johnson has been inconsistent.

Findlay, a College Hockey America entry where former Badgers recruiting coordinator Pat Ford is an associate head coach, also is recruiting Brodeur. "He tried to sign me during the early signing period," Brodeur said of Ford, "but I wasn't ready to do that."

UW needs a goaltender to fill the void when senior Scott Kabotoff departs after this season, leaving sophomore Bernd Bruckler as the lone veteran.

Just wondering if anyone has heard whether Eric Fabian has dropped off the list for next season. I read he was here during the Summer, volunteering with Blais at some community events, yet there has been no mention of him lately.

Perhaps he will enroll without a scholarship & attempt to walk-on?

• 2 weeks later...

Shattuck plays at Crookston again this year so we'll be able to see Stafford and Smaby like were able to see Parise, Porter & Murray last year. Both are the leaders on that team, you can tell. They're both about 4 inches taller than everyone else and look like men among boys. Not many teams at any level have enough depth to have 2 point per game players on there first two lines.

NHL Central Scouting has Brady listed, again. Nikiforuk is not on it.

Interesting. Niki is only 5' 8", but sure looks like a sniper. Very much like Hoogsteen. No doubt his size is the negative to NHL scouting. Although Murray is no heavier than Niki, he is taller (5'11").

On the gopher page there is a topic on Garrett Regan - played for Waterloo Blackhawks prior to this high school season (Hill-Murray). It's mentioned that he is being recruited by UMin, UNH, UMD and UND. Has anyone heard his name mentioned before in connection with UND recruitment? (this was attributed to an article from Nov. 28)