SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais

Siouxhockey03

You know, it's pretty easy to look back in hindsight, but maybe we saw the signs coming.

As mentioned, Blais once through out the 10 yr plan idea.

As of late, there's been discussion and argument on this and other board about Blais comments and handling of players.

Looking back, maybe he was just getting to the point where it was time for a change of scenery, and some of the signs were out there whether we wanted to see them or not.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at this from another angle, what about a guy like Gwoz? Heck of a coach and I would think this job would be a step up. Not advocating him, but since it's open season on the Blais-replacement question I'm throwing it out there.

This is the type of direction I would expect UND to explore, not necessarily hire, but definately explore. There are obviously going to be many top coaches in the country trying to get a shot at the job. The three with direct recent UND ties will always be there, unless Sandelin really wouldn't return. I find thought to be rediculous.

Even taking a look at guys like Jeff Jackson or Jerry York wouldn't be the worst thing to do. Many guys that would be considered untouchable by most would have to at least think about the UND position.

Even taking a look at guys like Jeff Jackson or Jerry York wouldn't be the worst thing to do. Many guys that would be considered untouchable by most would have to at least think about the UND position.

Good points sagard, though I consider York to be part of the "untouchable triumvirate" with the others being The Don and Red.... yeah, you should also throw Parker in there as well I guess.

In some respects, this is not the ideal time for Sandy to leave UMD since he has some unfinished business to do there. On the other hand, his stock may never be higher and if he ever had aspirations to be the head coach at his almamater this is an opportunity he may never have again. Certainly, there are factors that none of us may be aware of that may keep him in Duluth, but he would be my first choice followed by Steve Johnson. The thing about Hakstol kind of being an a$$ hole still bothers me.

Lincoln Journal Star- Steve Johnson's comments This is the article that ran in the Sunday LJS. I've heard talk that an assistant coaching position could open up and that Steve would be willing to take that job, but in this article it sounds like he'd like to stay in Lincoln. I have mixed feelings on all this, but I'll be relieved once everything is said and done so us Lincoln fans can stop worrying if we'll have a new coach next season.

Here's an interesting thought that just popped into my head:

Ok, say that Hakstol is named Head Coach with Berry as the associate Head coach. That opens up an assistant position. Isn't there a Panzer in town at one of the high schools? Would he be a candidate for that assistant position?

I don't really see that Bochenski has anywhere to go. I have heard nothing that Ottawa is even really interested in signing unless he wants to accept a piss poor contract with little or no bonus. He was a late round draft pick and I don't think Ottawa is interested in giving him much money. We shall see.

PA and Dubay had Grant P. on their show one day after Grant had gotten back from his stint in the Minor, AHL I believe and said that he hadn't even got paid from the Sens organization yet. I doubt that the Senators are going to give Buck a lot of money with the impending labor disput about to take place.

The players union and the Owners aren't even meeting to settle this up coming mess. It doesn't look good for the NHL next season.

I can't believe the papers missed this headline: "The Blaiser is a Blue Jacket"...Congrats to DB - we're going to miss him...

Funny....Minneapolis has Sioux envy...Front page of the Star Trib on Friday morning...Story about Deano signing with Colombus. Bigger write-up than the Twins.

Funny....Minneapolis has Sioux envy...Front page of the Star Trib on Friday morning...Story about Deano signing with Colombus. Bigger write-up than the Twins.

...and Iraq envy as they have a story about Iraq on the front page as well (bigger write up than the light rail....

...and Iraq envy as they have a story about Iraq on the front page as well (bigger write up than the light rail....

I think it is funny that Basil would have that horse's ass Micheal Moore as his avitar.

I'm guessing that Brandon knows what it's really called and the reporter doesn't.

It's nice to hear that Bochenski and Stafford say that they'll both be back next season.

No mention of BB attending the Senators' 2004 Development Camp:

SENATORS TO HOLD THEIR ANNUAL DEVELOPMENT CAMP FROM JULY 1-9

I'm confident that there are many out there far more knowledgeable than me who know if this means anything :)

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2004/0...ts/10051755.txt

Stars, coach waiting for word

By Brian Christopherson

Steve Johnson's cell phone was void of calls from North Dakota area codes Tuesday, which is cause for momentary relief from Lincoln Stars' fans.

The Lincoln head coach had brief discussions late last week with the University of North Dakota about the Sioux hockey team's head coaching vacancy.

Since those discussions, he's been in the dark about his status regarding the job search at his alma mater. Johnson is currently in Canada watching youth hockey.

"Right now, Idon't know what they're leaning towards," Johnson said Tuesday night via phone from Calgary, Alberta. "I'm a little bit uncertain what's going on, but I'd say right now there's probably a 75 percent or 80 percent chance I'll be back in Lincoln next year."

That said, onelack of phone call certainly doesn't signal Johnson's off the list of candidates.

He was told during his initial discussions with UND athletic director Roger Thomas that there would be no movement on the coaching search until school president Charles Kupchella returned from his out-of-town trip Tuesday.

"Idon't think anything's been done yet. Icould get a call possibly (today), Iguess," Johnson said.

The North Dakota job opened Friday when veteran coach Dean Blais surprisingly left to take an assistant coaching job with the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets.

Sioux assistant coach Dave Hakstol was named the interim head coach. Hakstol and fellow assistant Brad Berry are thought to be top candidates to replace Blais.

The departure of Blais immediately caught the attention of people within the Stars' organization, who know of the strong connection between Johnson and North Dakota hockey.

Johnson helped the Sioux to a national championship as a junior and served as the team's captain as a senior in 1988, leading the NCAA in points scored.

"I'd say that this is the one job that would be hard for him to turn down," said Stars' vice president Jim Pflug. "I certainly understand that. North Dakota hockey's been such a big part of his life since he was a kid.

"It'd be hard to see him leave, but it'd also be hard to root against him as a friend who's going for a job he's dreamed of getting."

Indeed, there is a strong bond among the brass in the Stars' organization. Johnson has been the only coach of the team in its eight-year history.

It's been a magical run since Day One. The Stars twice won the Clark Cup (United States Hockey League's playoffs trophy), the first of those claimed during the inaugural season.

Lincoln has only missed the playoffs once and that was last season.

"He's going to be successful wherever he coaches," Pflug said. "Iknow Steve really enjoys Lincoln and the strong support the team has here, so the great thing is he's going to end up in a positive situation either way."

Guest #1SiouxHockeyFan11
oh come on goon, dont go into denial, just like everyone did when zach was leaving. dean is OUTTA HERE!

Hey I was very disapointed when Parise left, actually very very very sad :) and disapointed since he was my favorite player. And Dean Blais is like the best coach in the world. He's Awesome. He got the Sioux through many awesome and memorable games.

Yeah, but there's still a pretty good team for 04-05, too. Solid goalies, forwards and defense. The guys like Brady Murray who were freshmen last year are most likely going to get the team pretty far or 04-05. I'm disappointed that both Zach and DB left, but you've got to hand it to the guys who were freshmen last year. They kicked butt.

Twins? Who? The Olsen's? Unless the sport has a stick and a solid piece of rubber or a piece of hog with air in it, I don't pay attention to it!

WPOS

I don't understand. I hate it when people think that someone like Dean Blais is leaving or when Zach Parise left the team is going to suck. Its not just one person who makes the team but everybody else helps out just as much as someone else... I'm quite looking foward to next year, with all these incoming freshman. When my brother was playing hockey during his highschool years he played against Lamoureux. Travis Zajac looks very promising as well, since he was drafted to the New Jersey Devils. Like I said, I'm really looking foward to next season. I'm counting down the days. :)