SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais

Siouxhockey03

I don't think UMD has much money to toss around. It's the "red headed step-child" of the UofMN system, especially when it comes to athletics funding. Moreover, I don't think they have the alumni $$$ to match/beat anything UND might offer.

I would bet Roger Thomas, and the alumni powers have already figured out what it will take to bring in a top-flight coach, and I don't think they'll spend it on Berry or Haks.

I disagree...I think they have a ton of money to throw around...Just think how all those $110 "dontations" add up for considering the upper bowl season ticket holders. :D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think UMD has much money to toss around. It's the "red headed step-child" of the UofMN system, especially when it comes to athletics funding. Moreover, I don't think they have the alumni $$$ to match/beat anything UND might offer.

I would bet Roger Thomas, and the alumni powers have already figured out what it will take to bring in a top-flight coach, and I don't think they'll spend it on Berry or Haks.

Good point, UMD will never be able to outbid UND. Duluth is investing a lot into hockey, with the new rink, I'm sure they'll at least make an offer.

I hope Sandy would leave Duluth for UND, he would easily be the #1 choice by most. I wonder how much DB is going to be involved in the decision, if at all. I think it says a lot about a program when the last two coaches lasted over 25 years and both left on good terms. I'd go back further but Gino was the coach when I was born so I'm not familiar with any before him.

NDHockey - I am curious why do you say Sandelin is overrated. He did a fine job as an assistant for us and has certainly had great success in Duluth in short period of time.

It could be debateable whether he should be at the top of the list but please explain the basis for your "overrated" comment.

I don't understand why Blais would leave now for Columbus when he could have had the head coach position a few years ago. Why leave for an assistant job? Especially with what he could have done this year with UND and the WJ's. Wasn't it just last year that there was a big deal made about his contract with UND?

NDHockey - I am curious why do you say Sandelin is overrated.  He did a fine job as an assistant for us and has certainly had great success in Duluth in short period of time. 

It could be debateable whether he should be at the top of the list but please explain the basis for your "overrated" comment.

UND Fan. I am probably being unfair to Scott. I like the guy. He has had success in a relatively short period of time. That said, I am not sure that he has proven himself long enough to warrant talk of BIG dollars like some think we should throw at him. He left to make his bed at UMD, and I do not begrudge him at all for that. If he were still assistant here, it'd be a done deal and he'd be our man.

It is tough to leave and come back. Sandy is, or should be, in our rear view mirror. Let him swim or sink out on the big pond in their new program. With the talent we presently have on the roster, continuity is huge. Hakstol is well liked and respected by the players. He is young and hungry. Berry has more immediate pro aspirations, so I've heard.

Hakstol can be had for a solid price. Sandelin's price is over-inflated given his short term run of success.

Gino. Deano. Davey. Give me any good reason why this time tested formula of success by hiring from within cannot, or will not, continue to work here.

Let's sign him up next week, if not today, and be done with the speculation.

obviously there is more to the story than what MOST people know....maybe if enough people find out what else was going on it will connect the dots, but if it doesnt come out...at least i know the whole story..lol

Well? ... we're waiting! :D

I WISH DEAN AND HIS FAMILY ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD,THE ONLY PERSON THAT MIGHT BE HAPPY DEAN IS LEAVING IS THAT WONNA BE GM AT REA.LETS JUST HOPE HES NEXT TO GO, AND LETS GET A HOCKEY MIND TO RUN IT, THE WAY RALPH WANTED IT RAN.GOOD LUCK DEAN

This is stunning to me, but good news in several theoretical respects.

1) Good news for Karl G (maybe)

2) It's always a good thing when a college coach makes it to the NHL in some coaching or management capacity. Look at Lammoretto (sp?) of the Devils: Ex Providence coach that has turned the Devils into a well oiled winning machine.

It may also prove to be good for UND's current set of players because Dean may be able to get some of our current guys second looks when it comes to the draft...

siouxman got it correct, although the rift may have gone further than the GM of REA...possilby Dean's boss?:D that could have a lot to do with it too, was Dean's contract done yet?? from last year's rift??? i would say NO

Dean's Boss?? I dont think the REA management has ANYTHING to do with dean blais.

not REA....well REA too, but who is Dean's boss??? think about it....

I assume you are referring to a rift between Roger and Dean that occurred last year re: K negotiations. I don't know if that had a lot to do with it.

I wonder if Dean stays as World Team Coach?

shep

A little birdie told me that Dean was offered a huge equity position in the team. Of course, it being the BlueJackets, that position is really worth little more than the paper on which it is printed. Dean is a heck of a guy, and a hell of a coach.

Maybe he gets to drive the Zamboni.

"Little birdie". WTF? Are you "Shooter"?

I doubt any team would offer any type of "equity" to an "associate" or even head coach. Most changes in ownership structure have to be approved by the NHL owners, and I don't believe any coach has a stake in their teams.

Hakstol? Sh ...