SiouxSports.com Forum

Question about changing the nickname and logo

Norseman

I think that sooner or later UND will have to retire the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, whether that would be in a few years or in the distant future. Therefore, wouldn't it be better to change the nickname now, and establish a new logo/nickname and build a strong tradition that would last?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is changing it now going to change? Like you said, if it is truely inevitable that it is going to change, why would we have to change now? Is there something happening that the nickname/logo has to be established for in the coming years? No matter when the nickname changes (if it does) there will always be time to establish the "tradition" and there will always be awkward years before the nickname/logo is accepted and established.

Quick? What is Marquette's new name? I couldn't tell you, to me the first thing that pops into my head is Warriors....always will. UND will always be The Fighting Sioux. I have to think really hard to remeber what Grand Forks Centrals current name is. First thing that comes to mind is Redskins. How many years ago di they change the name?

Quick? What is Marquette's new name? I couldn't tell you, to me the first thing that pops into my head is Warriors....always will. UND will always be The Fighting Sioux. I have to think really hard to remeber what Grand Forks Centrals current name is. First thing that comes to mind is Redskins. How many years ago di they change the name?

As long as UND plays at the Ralph Englestad Arena, the sioux wont change their name, it would cost them too much money to change every logo in the building, logos in the tile, on the sides of chairs, in the weightroom, and the scoreboard. Until the university is willing to fork out that much money, the name is gonna stay

I think that sooner or later I will win the PowerBall lottery, whether that would be in a few years or in the distant future. Therefore, wouldn't it be better to start spending it now?

instead of spending the money, the state can just start paying you now! Maybe the people that always bring up the name change should pay for the removal of the Sioux logo from the REA...

I think that sooner or later I will win the PowerBall lottery, whether that would be in a few years or in the distant future. Therefore, wouldn't it be better to start spending it now?

At last, your financial strategy makes sense to me. :D

I sure hope your suggestion of "Raging Reds" is for meant to symbolize the Red River, and not the stereotypically named skin tone of the great Native American people. Regardless, it may offend Native Americans and flood victims alike.

Please try again, but without offending such a vast number of people this time. Thank you. ;):D

I sure hope your suggestion of "Raging Reds" is for meant to symbolize the Red River, and not the stereotypically named skin tone of the great Native American people.  Regardless, it may offend Native Americans and flood victims alike. 

Please try again, but without offending such a vast number of people this time.  Thank you. ;)  :D

Maybe the inference could be made or the parallel from Sioux to Raging Reds.

I seriously doubt PCM had that in mind and I don't see it.

The Sioux didn't live in the RRV for the most part anyway.

As for your ridiculous flood comment, you're washed up. I'd really like to hear all comments from anyone that any sort of name could offend the 97 disaster victims.

OK, maybe the '2 late, 2 littlers'. Oh, and don't go to the 'you weren't there' arguement.

I sure hope your suggestion of "Raging Reds" is for meant to symbolize the Red River, and not the stereotypically named skin tone of the great Native American people.

It's a purely geographical/geological reference that pays tribute to the confluence of the Red and Red Lake Rivers, honoring the proud heritage, strength and determination of those who periodically battle the raging rivers, triumphing against monumental adversity in their ongoing struggle to survive in an inhospitable region. :lol:

Regardless, it may offend Native Americans and flood victims alike.
You forgot some other important groups: Cold warriors, McCarthyites, John Birchers, communist haters, fascists and other right-wing extremists. ;)

Please try again, but without offending such a vast number of people this time.  Thank you. :angry:  :D

But that's the beauty of my proposed name. Practically everyone who chooses to can find a reason to be offended by it. Rather than adopt a name that offends no one, my solution is for UND to use a name that offends everyone.

Obviously, there's a perfectly reasonable and rational explanation behind the Raging Reds. If some choose to be offended by it, that's their problem. ;)

PS: I know you're joking. So am I. :)

I think that sooner or later UND will have to retire the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, whether that would be in a few years or in the distant future. Therefore, wouldn't it be better to change the nickname now, and establish a new logo/nickname and build a strong tradition that would last?

Has global warming somehow caused Hell to freeze over?

It's a purely geographical/geological reference that pays tribute to the confluence of the Red and Red Lake Rivers, honoring the proud heritage, strength and determination of those who periodically battle the raging rivers, triumphing against monumental adversity in their ongoing struggle to survive in an inhospitable region. ;)

You forgot some other important groups: Cold warriors, McCarthyites, John Birchers, communist haters, fascists and other right-wing extremists. ;)

The Sioux dont need to change the their nickname or logo. First off it would cost them too much money and second the majority of the Native Americans do not care about the nickname.

Why?

Pressure...mainly from the NCAA. It could easily hinder conference affiliation down the road. Committees coming to the Universitiy to look into the name. The fact that UND may not be able to be awarded future NCAA tourny sites. Just take a look at the controversy surrounding UND and its hosting of the Elite Eight. Also see:

"HR 5487 IH

107th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 5487

To authorize the Secretary of Education to make grants to eligible schools to assist such schools to discontinue use of a derogatory or discriminatory name or depiction as a team name, mascot, or nickname, and for other purposes."

Also just look at the numerous colleges and universities in the past 50 years that have switched monikers because of similar issues. Oklahoma, Stanford, Mankato, Marquette, Miami (Ohio), etc. etc. etc...After awhile one has to ask himself is it a fight worth battling for. Newspapers and sportscasts refusing to use the name "sioux" and being suspended for it, protests after protests.

Believe me I love the name and logo and want it to stand forever, but I don't believe that will happen. :D Why does UND continue to sanction BRIDGES. I know I wouldn't let them use my server/websites. Right there on the website"

"BRIDGES is an official student organization of UND"

(http://www.UND.edu/org/bridges/index2.html)

All of which is old news and hasn't caused the State Board of Higher Education to seriously reconsider changing the name.

The World Juniors are coming to the Ralph. The Elite Eight tournament is coming to the Ralph. The NCAA considered a measure aimed at forcing teams to change their names. It failed. I haven't heard anyone say that the bill in Congress is going anywhere. The BRIDGES Web site has existed for years and hasn't caused the name to change.

I'm not saying the name change will never happen. I simply don't accept it as inevitable.