SiouxSports.com Forum

Social Engineering on Campuses

GeauxSioux

Saw this piece today about Cal Poly.  Why and when did colleges get so wacky?  Can a public university really legally do this?  It sounds like discrimination to me.

California university works to reduce number of white people on campus

One goal is to increase the number of people of color on campus beyond the increases that have already occurred over the past few years, as “applications from underrepresented minority students doubled between 2008 and 2018.”

“In 2011, the campus was 63 percent Caucasian,” the May 2 report informs readers, “in fall of 2017, it was less than 55 percent … but there is still much work to do.”

Colleges and universities value reflecting the communities, areas and states they represent.  Minorities are underrepresented in most post secondary institutions.  They are attempting to be inclusive to both better represent the diversity of the population they represent and to strenghten the school with diverse groups that bring in different ideas and values. 

This is a good thing.  I'm not shocked that the SS folks may feel threatened.  Not at all...  

• Like 1

Are they adding underrepresented groups to increase diversity with no cap in sight on total students admitted?  Then yes, this is good. 

If they are discriminating against one group to admit another group I have a problem with that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Colleges and universities value reflecting the communities, areas and states they represent.  Minorities are underrepresented in most post secondary institutions.  They are attempting to be inclusive to both better represent the diversity of the population they represent and to strenghten the school with diverse groups that bring in different ideas and values. 

This is a good thing.  I'm not shocked that the SS folks may feel threatened.  Not at all...  

I am not speaking for all of SS folks.  Just me.  I am over 50 and not threatened.

Using your logic, UND should be trying to get more white students, since North Dakota is over 87% white, while UND is only at about 78% white.

Why not just let students choose the schools they want to attend without additional programs and money?  Whatever happened to going to school to get an education without indoctrination?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Hayduke said:

I remember growing up learning that we should treat everybody equally.  Today's politics has reduced everything down to race.  All things being equal, a minority born in affluence has a better shot at getting into Cal Poly than a white kid in poverty?  That seems pretty racist to me.  It also reeks of arrogance, that these universities think that minorities don't have the ability to excel in school well enough to be accepted by their university, simply because of their skin color.  If the argument is that minorities come from low income families and are dealt a bad hand, increase the acceptance rate for all poor people, without regard to skin color. 

Image result for martin luther king i have a dream

7 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

I am not speaking for all of SS folks.  Just me.  I am over 50 and not threatened.

Using your logic, UND should be trying to get more white students, since North Dakota is over 87% white, while UND is only at about 78% white.

Why not just let students choose the schools they want to attend without additional programs and money?  Whatever happened to going to school to get an education without indoctrination?

This.....^^^^^

Those that constantly promote their ideology of acceptance, tolerance, diversity and justice generally tend to be the most ignorant in all four categories.

• Like 1

Cal Poly is a STEM school, which the favored minority classes like Hispanics and blacks tend to avoid.  But Asian-Americans seem to revel in hard sciences and math because that’s what their parents know will yield a great career.  The Ivy League and other highly selective schools don’t want more Asians so they have methods to keep them out.  Asians are just too high achieving for the social justice types so they are ignored because it shatters their stereotypes that minorities are all so discriminated against.  By grades and academic success, Cal Poly should be vast majority Asian, but that doesn’t jive with the leftists, who want equality of outcomes regardless of input.

Kids are not raised in a vacuum as social justice warriors want to believe.  Asians have immense parental involvement in their education, which is rare for Hispanics, blacks and many whites.  Parental involvement, encouragement and discipline makes a difference, and those factors are unknown today.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

Yet, 1.3% of UND undergraduates are Native American while 5.4% of North Dakotans are Native American.  

Hmmm.  

What's our nickname again?? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 4:51 PM, Hayduke said:

Yet, 1.3% of UND undergraduates are Native American while 5.4% of North Dakotans are Native American.  

Hmmm.  

What's our nickname again?? 

I’m pretty sure UND is not turning down Native American applicants that meet the academic standards. I really don’t know anyone who gets turned down by UND if they qualify academically. Granted some are close and deserve a shot but I suspect sub-par acedemic minority applicants do not add up to many. 

Should we lower the standards for minorities and raise them for white applicants? I would hope the answer is no. California should admit more minorities if qualified applicants are getting turned down in favor of similar qualified whites. California’s preach equal rights but they are just as bad as the rest of the country when it comes to colleges.