SiouxSports.com Forum

Drew Stafford

Kermit

With all of the POTY and FOY talk all worried about who's leaving, who's staying, blah, blah, blah, REMEMBER;

We are talking about the FIGHTING SIOUX here, I full-heartedly agree with DB (although this is only the spirit of a quote) that if you love something let it free. I will miss Stafford and the others if they should also decide to leave. That won't dissolve my belief that we ALWAYS have a chance for #8. Thank you 'talent' for your time because we appreciate it, our 'team' will miss you.

You may be on to something but I doubt it.

There is no reason for Stafford to opt out unless he is going to play in the NHL, I don't think he is close to being ready. Only way I can see him leaving is if he is failing in the classroom and if he went to Shattucks he probably was a decent student too...

I have a bad feeling (but no inside info) that Stafford will opt-in for the draft and be gone..

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv.../optin_0225.htm

The only way that it would make any sense is if his "family advisor" has a commitment from a NHL team to draft him in the top ten. If he waits and performs well, he will no doubt improve his draft position.

I'm not saying that Stafford is ready for the NHL. He isn't. He does have great tools. He may be perfectly willing to play in the AHL or major juniors. I have no idea.

My concern is based on:

1. He (Stafford) is rated very highly by NHL scouts.

2. He is an under-age player who would have to opt-in to this year's draft. Because of the NCAA's incomprehensible rules, opting-in would make him ineligible.

3. This year's draft class is supposedly lacking in depth of top-end talent. Stafford could be drafted higher this year than he would next year--and there's no guarantee he would maintain his status with the scouts in another year.

4. The NHL CBA situation could work against the Sioux, if he is drafted and signed now he may receive a big bonus that he couldn't receive in the future (I'm fuzzy on this issue)??

5. To my knowledge, Stafford has never said that he wouldn't opt-in. In fact, when interviewed on the radio earlier this season, he sounded like he was seriously considering the possibility.

5. To my knowledge, Stafford has never said that he wouldn't opt-in. In fact, when interviewed on the radio earlier this season, he sounded like he was seriously considering the possibility.

I heard that interview too and was concerned right away what would happen. With Blais saying a couple weeks ago he's not too concerned about losing others this spring it makes me more hopeful.

Then his most recent quote saying next year's success is dependant on who stays in school..........

While I'm optimistic we won't be losing Stafford this soon, I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. A part of me is definitely concerned.

No way is Stafford ready for the NHL. He has a good level of talent, but even at the college level he got "schooled" like most frosh. If he had spent a year in the USHL or BCHL, he might be more likely to break into a club just due to the intensity of the game and length of the season. Moreover, if Drew did opt-in, and was drafted in the top-10 or 15, I think he would spend a good deal of time in the AHL. He has potential, but there are a number of Euros and MJ players that will have better draft position.

The draft order was released today. If the opt in rule changes, I could see Stafford being drafted by LA #11 overall. If not, and Stafford's stock does fall in the draft, I couldn't see him falling lower than mid second round. And if so, he'd be the steal of the draft.

Stafford is a talented power forward. A guy with size and scoring ability. That's VERY attractive in the NHL. I know Detroit could use someone like Stafford.

Stafford's major junior rights are held by the Red Deer Rebels in the WHL. If he were to opt-in, the NHL team that selects him might advise him to head to Red Deer. NHL teams love the kind of coaching he would get there in Brent Sutter. If I was his family advisor, I'd ask NHL teams if they planned on signing him rather than place him in Red Deer. Show me the money.

Three scouting rags have him at #7, #9, and #14. From what I've read, he's a top 10 guy. I have not seen Stafford like you guys have, but I can't see him pulling a Kesler. Of course, I've been wrong before.

I'll miss him.....

He's not gone yet...if he's drafted, he'll still have NCAA eligiblility and I should hope he stays here.

Great news on the waivers. With TJ Hensick and AJ Thelen also at the mercy of the opt-in rule, I think the NC$$ finally realized that it was a stupid rule that hurts college hockey.

Can somebody explain this rule to me? I don't understand how this is different from how it is now. If getting drafted means you lose your NCAA eligibility, how did Zach get drafted and still play another year?

Apparently, the way I understand it, if you are of a certain age (at least 19???), then you are automatically draft eligible when the May 1st deadline rolls around each year. But if you are not of this age, whatever it might be, if you declare yourself eligible for the draft, you lose your collegiate eligibility. Zach Parise was eligible for the draft last year due to his age, he got drafted, but he still could play college hockey. This spring, he actually SIGNED a pro contract, which lost him his college eligibility. If Drew Stafford were to wait until after his sophomore season, he would be able to be drafted without losing his eligibility, under the old rule. With the removal of that rule, he can enter the draft this year, next year, or whenever he wants, and not have to worry about losing his college eligibility. I hope this answers what you were asking... :sad:

That story is the smartest thing I've seen the NCAA do in quite a while.

Did I just say "NCAA" and "smartest" in the same sentence! :0:sad:

Yes. I know, I was thrown for a minute too

Look at all the players this affects...my guess is that this is why they changed it. Look at the quality of talent that would have possibly left. Good job to Dave Poulin for searheading this...

All the players that could opt-in...

2004 NCAA Opt-In Candidates

Player Team Pos.

Sean Bentovoglio Niagara F

Steve Birnstill Northeastern D

Jeff Caron Merrimack D

Matt Cohen Yale D

Steve Hartley Miami G

T.J. Hensick Michigan F

Wes O'Neill Notre Dame D

Adam Pineault Boston College F

Jonathan Sigalet Bowling Green D