SiouxSports.com Forum

McGregor vs. Mayweather

Sioux04

If this fight takes place and McGregor takes out Mayweather (however unlikely it is) does it make boxing completely irrelevant?  How could anyone take boxing seriously if a MMA guy comes over and gives Mayweather (49-0) an ass whooping?

MMA has nothing to lose.  We've seen what happens to boxers that try to transition to MMA.  They get beat downs.  And we know Mayweather would stand no chance against McGregor in a MMA fight.  I personally would cheer for McGregor bc I am a MMA fan, but Floyd would have to beat him badly to just keep boxing relevant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 10:27 PM, Sioux04 said:

If this fight takes place and McGregor takes out Mayweather (however unlikely it is) does it make boxing completely irrelevant?  How could anyone take boxing seriously if a MMA guy comes over and gives Mayweather (49-0) an ass whooping?

MMA has nothing to lose.  We've seen what happens to boxers that try to transition to MMA.  They get beat downs.  And we know Mayweather would stand no chance against McGregor in a MMA fight.  I personally would cheer for McGregor bc I am a MMA fan, but Floyd would have to beat him badly to just keep boxing relevant.

It would prove to me a 28 yr old fighter can beat up a 40 yr old fighter.  

Its a payday for both but like Pacquiao vs Mayweather should have taken place a couple years earlier.  

McGregor will have a punchers chance but with those big gloves I can't see it happening.

I see it going 2 ways, Floyd wins a boring 120-108 decision or Floyd is on his way to a 120-108 decisions and Connor gets frustrated and ends up getting DQ'd.

3 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

I don't think it hurts boxing at all if McGregor wins. It's just 2 guys with different fighting styles that want to fight each other and I hope Mayweather gets his ASS handed to him!!!!!!!! Punch....run away.....punch.....runaway, I'm the greatest, BS, you're a little p*ssy!

Most I have asked agree with you and Homer.  I just thought a guy coming in and defeating one of the sports greatest of all time would have some negative impact on it.

One thing we fully agree on is the dismantling of Mayweather by Conor.  I can't stand him and I hope he gets knocked the f out!

• Upvote 1

Mayweather will win in a fight that will be more entertaining than people think as Conor is one tough SOB with a decent stand-up attack. Floyd's hands are lighting-quick but light, so Conor has 36 minutes to punch away and work his way in. Problem is, Floyd is ridiculously good defensively/on the counter. Let's hope Conor calls Freddie Roach, who I'm sure would jump at the chance to train a fighter taking on Floyd. That would surely enhance his "puncher's chance" of defeating one of boxing's all-time masterful tacticians.

• Upvote 1

The trash talk is going to epic.

The fight... well Connor has a punchers chance. 

What does he have to lose, gets knocked out and makes more $$$ and he did in UFC.  Does better than expected and could lead to more fights and $$$....

won't hurt to throw $20 down on the underdog...

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

McGregor thinks he can out box one of the best fighters in the history of the sport?!!  Sorry, Conor, not gonna happen!

He's not going to outbox him... he's gonna try and knock him tf out

• 2 months later...