SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

When analyzing a coach with a mediocre record, it's useful to compare how he did against other coaches with mediocre records and who coach under similar circumstances. 

Brian Jones is a combined 3-12 against Derrin Hansen from UNO (.525 career winning %) and B.J. Hill of UNC (.496 career winning %). 

When analyzing a coach with a mediocre record, it's useful to compare how he did against other coaches with mediocre records and who coach under similar circumstances. 

Brian Jones is a combined 3-12 against Derrin Hansen from UNO (.525 career winning %) and B.J. Hill of UNC (.496 career winning %). 

Hill has taken his team to the NCAA tourney.

Hill has taken his team to the NCAA tourney.

Very true (in his first year, I believe), but it doesn't change the fact that his record since that time isn't particularly good, and Jones has struggled against him anyway. And Jones' record against Hansen is downright abysmal, going all the way to the division II days.

I'd be curious to know all the records of all the coaches in the Big Sky. With a few exceptions, my guess they all have mediocre records.

I'd be curious to know all the records of all the coaches in the Big Sky. With a few exceptions, my guess they all have mediocre records.

Maybe, aside from Rahe from Weber, whose career winning % is something like .645. But I do think it's a bit more telling to compare how Jones has done  head-to-head against coaches at other ex-NCC schools. And he hasn't done very well there. Against non traditional basketball powers like UNC and UNO, to be that far under .500 seems pretty bad.

So our goal is mediocrity? He should stay because he is a mediocre coach. Thanks for clarifying.

Lighten up Francis. Just curious what that looks like. Doesn't mean I accept mediocrity. Wasn't even judging the comparison. If we are going to compare - just go all the way.

Lighten up Francis. Just curious what that looks like. Doesn't mean I accept mediocrity. Wasn't even judging the comparison. If we are going to compare - just go all the way.

So what are you asking for exactly? The career record of every current Big Sky coach, and Jones' record against each of them? You can easily get Jones' record against everybody from the media guide. I'm not interested enough to compile every coach's career record. I used Hill and Hansen due to UND's historical ties to those schools, and the fact both schools have gone through transitions in the recent past.

Very true (in his first year, I believe), but it doesn't change the fact that his record since that time isn't particularly good, and Jones has struggled against him anyway. And Jones' record against Hansen is downright abysmal, going all the way to the division II days.

Agree completely. I was just pointing out that Hill has done something at UNC, which has hardly ever been known as a basketball power, that Jones has not here, where the tradition, support, and facilities are car superior.

Would be curious what career records are of big sky coaches while at said big sky school. The assumption being they face the same challenges we do. More specifically - non conference scheduling. Not seeking an excuse. Just a data point. 

Here is a list of each Big Sky coach, including their record at their current school, and the number of years at their current job:

Brian Jones--9 years--127-152 (.455)

Randy Rahe (Weber St.)--9 years--180-103 (.636)

Don Verlin (Idaho)--7 years--110-113 (.493)

Brian Katz (Sac. St.)--7 years--76-128 (.372)

Tyler Geving (Portland St.)--6 years--84-98 (.462)

B.J. Hill (UNC)--5 years--76-77 (.497)

Jim Hayford (EWU)--4 years--64-62 (.508)

Bill Evans (Idaho St.)--3 years--24-65 (.270)

Nick Robinson (SUU)--3 years--23-66 (.258)

Jack Murphy (NAU)--3 years--45-51 (.469)

Travis DeCuire (Montana)--1 year--19-11 (.633)

Brian Fish (MSU)--1 year--7-20 (.259)

Here is a list of each Big Sky coach, including their record at their current school, and the number of years at their current job:

So Jones has the longest tenure (tied) at a BSC school but is 8th in winning % among the 12 coaches. 

OK then..........................

Of this group, which went through a D1 transition?

Enough with the "transition" excuse! We cannot use that anymore (not that we should have ever used it in the first place).

This is where it gets frustrating. Try to lay down some objective facts/information or assemblance of supporting logic and the obvious happens. So then I try to just go with innuendo like everyone else and i get ripped for no supporting evidence.

Bet Sac State wanted to whack their coach a few years back.

This is just a thought I had, how often are successful head coaches anywhere near Jones height? Obviously Phil Jackson is one of the greatest head coaches of all time so he's an exception but honestly how many have been that tall? There may be no correlation but it seems that the best coaches are point guards and those that were not stars.

This is where it gets frustrating. Try to lay down some objective facts/information or assemblance of supporting logic and the obvious happens. So then I try to just go with innuendo like everyone else and i get ripped for no supporting evidence.

What's worse--a division I transition, or having to play your home games here: http://www.hornetsports.com/information/facilities/The_Nest

It reminds me of Grand Forks Central's old gym. 

This is just a thought I had, how often are successful head coaches anywhere near Jones height? Obviously Phil Jackson is one of the greatest head coaches of all time so he's an exception but honestly how many have been that tall? There may be no correlation but it seems that the best coaches are point guards and those that were not stars.

Greg McDermott is 6'8". Dave Gunther was about 6'7".

• Upvote 1

Where it gets frustrating is when the apologists keep pulling out the same tired old talking points.  If you think Jones should get as much rope as he wants, then bring some serious beef to the table.  Anything less is just cheap spin.

Of this group, which went through a D1 transition?

NDSU went though a transition; been to NCAA tournament.

SDSU went through a transition; been to NCAA tournament.

Stop using the transition excuse! It's been shown, right here in this region, that a DII to DI transition is not the ultimate barrier. (queue nickname issue for next excuse)