SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Nice flurry here. As long as und has to play all of their non conference games on the road; they will never have a record that some of you want.

We have terrible facilities and pay our coaches crap. Recruits see and feel this.

Ndsu had a jump on us with the transition to D1. Might have only been a few years but may as well been 20. In this type of market, this is significant.

Und will only get a bid to the tourney if they win the BSC tournament and it will be a 16 seed. That goes for any team that wins the conference tournament. OOC doesn't matter in this regard.

Jones has had a more than successful transition to the BSC with players no one else wanted.

Brewster has done a nice job. Comparing the two is apples and oranges.

The mere fact that they can get anybody to play here is nothing short of a miracle much less be competitive.

Someone might say that none of these reasons are an excuse but herein lies the problem and that is some folks have these bizarre expectations that are nothing more than a pipe dream.Kansas? Duke? Give me a break. All credibility goes out the window.

I would like to think Jones can be defended without resorting to hyperbole like this.

• Upvote 3

In the absence of any inherent advantage or disadvantage relative to other Big Sky Men Hoop Programs than a reasonable expectation would be a mid level Big Sky program.  Summit league basketball is a modest step up from Big Sky per Conference RPI rankings.  Try comparing NDSU football with UND? Jones is doing Great compared to football. NDSU Basketball is in rebuilding mode also. Fargo/Morehead is a shorter drive for Midwest recruit Player families and also more of a bigger city feel.

What inherent advantage does a school like Montana have in the Big Sky Conference?  They are a similarly sized school, with similar support, in a similar market, and are also somewhat remotely located geographically speaking.  Yet they are nearly always one of the top 3 teams in the league.  This is what I expect of North Dakota. 

If we were a perennial mid-level Big Sky team, that would be very disappointing in my eyes.  A second and third place finish in our first two years in the league is fantastic, and exactly what I want to see from this team.  However I am of the opinion that the non-conference season is just as important as the Big Sky season.  I want to win every game.  I feel the season starts in November, not January.

• Upvote 4

Not shocked at all. How many do I think? Actually haven't seen many Jones apologists make a case for him. And I've stated numerous times that I'm not a fan. Again, as others have said in this thread, not being a fan is not the same as calling for jobs, and starting threads after reading boxscores calling for jobs. Its about supporting kids and the programs. Not about pleasing "fans" that demand a "natty" or a team that wins when that fan wants it to win.

Not a fan of Jones? Why?

I heard there's a new policy at UND. Anytime a coach has even at UND for more than five years and in any given year after if NDSU makes the playoffs and that UND sport doesn't. UND coach is automatically fired.

I have made a thread of 2 coaches being fired Muss and Jones. I have stated my reasons for them being canned. You still think the football team should be coached by Muss? And how much more time should Jones have being average?

• Upvote 1

I have made a thread of 2 coaches being fired Muss and Jones. I have stated my reasons for them being canned. You still think the football team should be coached by Muss? And how much more time should Jones have being average?

I didn't support Mussman.

The second he finishes 4th in the league can him. Or at least you can have a valid discussion about it. But he has yet to do that.

It's simple you don't think about firing a guy that has finished top 3 in his new conference every year for a bad road OOC record.

Simple statement.

We have terrible facilities and pay our coaches crap. Recruits see and feel this.

Our facilities are far from terrible.

Und will only get a bid to the tourney if they win the BSC tournament and it will be a 16 seed. That goes for any team that wins the conference tournament. OOC doesn't matter in this regard.

Seriously?  OOC absolutely affects what seed the conference champ gets in the nat'l tourney.

The mere fact that they can get anybody to play here is nothing short of a miracle much less be competitive.

Now it appears you're just trolling.

• Upvote 1

I didn't support Mussman.

The second he finishes 4th in the league can him. Or at least you can have a valid discussion about it. But he has yet to do that.

It's simple you don't think about firing a guy that has finished top 3 in his new conference every year for a bad road OOC record.

Simple statement.

So he can go zero for November/December (OOC)but if he finishes third and barely gets into the CIT he should get another year?

Its the Dance or nothing that matters.

So he can go zero for November/December (OOC)but if he finishes third and barely gets into the CIT he should get another year?

You're playing both sides.  OOC has nothing to do with making the dance (though it does have an effect on seeding if they were to make it).  Yet you say its the Dance or nothing.  The only way UND will ever get to the Dance is to win the Big Sky tournament.

You're playing both sides. OOC has nothing to do with making the dance (though it does have an effect on seeding if they were to make it). Yet you say its the Dance or nothing. The only way UND will ever get to the Dance is to win the Big Sky tournament.

Do you like not winning in November and December during OOC play? NDSU can beat Wisconsin and Notre Dame but we can't beat Cal Poly and Texas Pan American. It's getting old, and if all he can get us to is the CIT then it's time for a change.

Do you like not winning in November and December during OOC play? NDSU can beat Wisconsin and Notre Dame but we can't beat Cal Poly and Texas Pan American. It's getting old, and if all he can get us to is the CIT then it's time for a change.

Then go cheer for a powerhouse like SDSU, or right out your back door, NDSU. If it is affecting you this severely, might be time to make some changes.

Nope, never said that.  You're the one that said "Its the Dance or nothing that matters.", not me. 

Then go cheer for a powerhouse like SDSU, or right out your back door, NDSU. If it is affecting you this severely, might be time to make some changes.

You don't think beating OOC ranked teams affect recruiting as does losing to T-PA, or last year to transistioning Omaha? Winning 5 road OOC games is not a strong point during recruiting.

Is it wrong to want UND to reach the dance and not just the CIT?

So it isn't just "Its the Dance or nothing that matters."?

Just curious, if Jones were to be fired, what kind of coach do you think they'd be able to get with the current budget the MBB has?  And if your answer is to pay another coach more money, where exactly is that money going to come from?  UND is going to be seeing a large jump in expenses the next few years with the new "full cost of attendance" rule that will be voted on and that money needs to come from somewhere as well.*

*This is going to have a larger impact than people realize across the board. %GOBC insight on this one.

What inherent advantage does a school like Montana have in the Big Sky Conference?  They are a similarly sized school, with similar support, in a similar market, and are also somewhat remotely located geographically speaking.  Yet they are nearly always one of the top 3 teams in the league.  This is what I expect of North Dakota. 

If we were a perennial mid-level Big Sky team, that would be very disappointing in my eyes.  A second and third place finish in our first two years in the league is fantastic, and exactly what I want to see from this team.  However I am of the opinion that the non-conference season is just as important as the Big Sky season.  I want to win every game.  I feel the season starts in November, not January.

...........WELL my good man....15 degrees warmer weather in winter.  Higher paid coaches to obtain and retain staff... Decades of D1 Basketball  history vs years..  A more valid argument is Why has UND has been better RPI average the last 3 years than EW. ,Montana st, Idaho st.,No Az. No Colo. Port. St,Sac St,and So Utah,   It cant be  the weather, the facilities, the in state talent, or Big Money Stud Coaches.... What is the reason why? ??? perhaps the Coach!!

So it isn't just "Its the Dance or nothing that matters."?

Just curious, if Jones were to be fired, what kind of coach do you think they'd be able to get with the current budget the MBB has? And if your answer is to pay another coach more money, where exactly is that money going to come from? UND is going to be seeing a large jump in expenses the next few years with the new "full cost of attendance" rule that will be voted on and that money needs to come from somewhere as well.*

*This is going to have a larger impact than people realize across the board. %GOBC insight on this one.

What is the full cost of attendance rule?