SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff 2017

IowaSioux24

19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

As if Target Center is just right?  The way it looks now, they may as well move it to Bloomington Ice Gardens!  And there might STILL be plenty of good seats available. :lol:

I'll call the ticket folks back when they're pawning off center ice tickets for $10 a pop.

16 minutes ago, Cratter said:

You sound happy about it.

If it means cheap seats, sure, I'll go watch Denver and UMD duke it out for the title.

25 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, I'm one of those half-ass UND fans who has a problem spending $500 or so for the entire family to spend a weekend watching hockey.  

You could have the wife watch the kids. Drive the 30 miles and watch one UND game for about $50 including gas, ticket, food, and beverages. I'm such a problem solver. :cool:

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

You could have the wife watch the kids. Drive the 30 miles and watch one UND game for about $50 including gas, ticket, food, and beverages. I'm such a problem solver. :cool:

Hey, thanks for the help.  Now I just need to concince her to take 12 hours of PTO from her Friday and Saturday overnight shift and I'm golden.  After all, I don't want to be less of a fan because I'm not meeting the minimum games attended requirement, right?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Hey, thanks for the help.  Now I just need to concince her to take 12 hours of PTO from her Friday and Saturday overnight shift and I'm golden.  After all, I don't want to be less of a fan because I'm not meeting the minimum games attended requirement, right?

Youre going to the championship game regardless if you can get tickets cheap enough. I'll chip in.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Your going to the championship game regardless if you can get tickets cheap enough.

I was being facetious - $10 a pop and I'd probably take the whole gang.  

Gas, ticket, food, AND beverage for $50?  What Target Center package is THAT?  It's probably $25 just to park my car within a four mile radius of Target Center!

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

What, there is a minimum game attendance requirement to keep my green card?  Dang, I guess I am out then since I haven't gone to any this year. ???

On 2/25/2017 at 9:15 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Wooofda......I wonder what it will do financially to the NCHC.....if.....well it's probably more than an if right now.

Fortunately, the NCHC has planned for just such a case.  They'll take a hit on their savings but it won't be as bad as people think.

On 2/25/2017 at 9:49 PM, MafiaMan said:

That sound you heard in Minneapolis about 30 minutes ago...was Target Center imploding.  I'll take the under in 3,000 semi-final games attendance.  

Also fortunately for the NCHC, they have presold about 6,000 seats for the tournament.  So even if UND doesn't make it, the announced attendance will be fine.  If it's another UMD/SCSU final then those two fanbases will bring about 1,500 people total for the final.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Also fortunately for the NCHC, they have presold about 6,000 seats for the tournament.  So even if UND doesn't make it, the announced attendance will be fine.  If it's another UMD/SCSU final then those two fanbases will bring about 1,500 people total for the final.

Viewers on TV won't be impressed by "announced" attendance numbers. 

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Viewers on TV won't be impressed by "announced" attendance numbers. 

But the NCHC budget will be fine with it.

If this happened in the 1st or second year of the Frozen Faceoff, it would have been horrible.  Not so much this year.  If UND can pull out home ice in the first round, the impact will be pretty minimal.

32 minutes ago, southpaw said:

But the NCHC budget will be fine with it.

If this happened in the 1st or second year of the Frozen Faceoff, it would have been horrible.  Not so much this year.  If UND can pull out home ice in the first round, the impact will be pretty minimal.

That's a big if.

I saw the local news bit on the millions of dollars worth of "improvements" to Target Center - most of the segment discussed fresh paint and new menu options.  Zero mention of anything that will improve the boards, ice conditions, etc.  

17 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

That's a big if.

I saw the local news bit on the millions of dollars worth of "improvements" to Target Center - most of the segment discussed fresh paint and new menu options.  Zero mention of anything that will improve the boards, ice conditions, etc.  

Doesn't seem like too many players were upset at the ice conditions last year:

“You never know what to expect when you play in a building that normally doesn’t have a rink in it,” Welinski said. “It was actually really good. Boards are great and the ice was good.”

Pioneers coach Jim Montgomery said after his team’s practice Thursday that the ice was the best in the three-year history of the tournament. His senior captain Grant Arnold also was a fan of the ice this year.

“I think the Target Center has done a good job all three years I’ve been here. That being said, I think the ice here is unbelievable this year,” Arnold said. “It felt great out there. It was fast. The boards are great. The lighting is good. I love this arena.”

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

That's a big if.

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/760621?referrer_id=767342

"While the upgraded technology will certainly turn heads, less obvious improvements have made Target Center a more welcoming place to drop the puck. Several weeks ago as part of a capital improvement project, the original arena lighting was replaced with LED lights. The result is not only a brighter venue, but also better ice.

“One thing you battle with a 26-year-old arena is the climate conditions for the ice,” said Reller. “It’s easy to make our building warm, but it’s really hard to keep it cool, and we’re already finding that the old lights had a ton of heat come off of them.”

With the arena 6-8 degrees cooler under the LED lighting, it’s much easier to maintain the ice surface, causing fewer headaches for Jake and Zach Magdzas, the ice maintenance supervisor and ice maintenance lead for Minnesota Duluth’s AMSOIL Arena. The duo will return to Target Center to once again help with the ice and boards for the Frozen Faceoff."

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/760621?referrer_id=767342

"While the upgraded technology will certainly turn heads, less obvious improvements have made Target Center a more welcoming place to drop the puck. Several weeks ago as part of a capital improvement project, the original arena lighting was replaced with LED lights. The result is not only a brighter venue, but also better ice.

“One thing you battle with a 26-year-old arena is the climate conditions for the ice,” said Reller. “It’s easy to make our building warm, but it’s really hard to keep it cool, and we’re already finding that the old lights had a ton of heat come off of them.”

With the arena 6-8 degrees cooler under the LED lighting, it’s much easier to maintain the ice surface, causing fewer headaches for Jake and Zach Magdzas, the ice maintenance supervisor and ice maintenance lead for Minnesota Duluth’s AMSOIL Arena. The duo will return to Target Center to once again help with the ice and boards for the Frozen Faceoff."

Don't confuse MafiaMan with these types of details.  He hasn't figured out how to google things yet ;)

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Don't confuse MafiaMan with these types of details.  He hasn't figured out how to google things yet ;)

What's google?  I can't seem to find it in the phone book.  :blink:  

In fairness to me, I was talking about the local evening news.  Disappointing to see the focus be on fresh paint and new cheeseburger condiments as opposed to stuff relevant to hockey.

im gonna be down there hoping to see our beloved team make it to the target center (holding breath) yet again and actually do well this year cmon fans come on out and support our team assuming we make it to the target center our team needs us more then ever to give crowd support and everything. Also question for anyone that knows would it be cheaper to buy tickets at the box office at the target center im actually trying to do that but just don't know the price it would be if anyone could let me know that would be great?

28 minutes ago, sioux hockey is the best said:

im gonna be down there hoping to see our beloved team make it to the target center (holding breath) yet again and actually do well this year cmon fans come on out and support our team assuming we make it to the target center our team needs us more then ever to give crowd support and everything. Also question for anyone that knows would it be cheaper to buy tickets at the box office at the target center im actually trying to do that but just don't know the price it would be if anyone could let me know that would be great?

If you wait I would sell you 6 great seats real cheap if they don't make it. If the Sioux don't make it I have to go to a 40th birthday party! I paid $700+ for six all sessions, I would be happy to get $500 for them. Still hoping to go, but the wife said if they don't go we don't go! :(