SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Schmidt

Sioux94

We all know Schmidt has done such a great job with the defense since taking over.  Turning the defense around in just one year with basically the same players.  Do we think he would stick around until Bubba retires......to possibly become the head coach?  Or will he take an FBS job or something sometime to move up?  I've wondered this for a while, and tonight I'm watching Arizona - Arizona State game and watching Arizona which is a 2-9 team put up 56 points on ASU and over 500 yards rushing.  I've seen ASU's defense look like crap ever since I moved down here (4 years ago) and started following them.  They were nationally ranked a couple years ago, but their defense has always been poor.  Every time I see their defense s**t the bed I can't help but think how unfair it is that their defensive coordinator likely makes 2-3 times that Schmidt does.  I think you could have put UND's players with Schmidt coaching them in this game and had better results, with what should be less talent. 

8 hours ago, Dustin said:

My gut feeling is that he will be head coach after bubba. 

That would be a perfect scenario and I hope that happens. However if he got a big payday opportunity before that couldn't fault him for leaving for something that 'might' happen a few years down the road. Since he played here and has strong ties hopefully that will help keep him around. 

18 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

That would be a perfect scenario and I hope that happens. However if he got a big payday opportunity before that couldn't fault him for leaving for something that 'might' happen a few years down the road. Since he played here and has strong ties hopefully that will help keep him around. 

Hope he stays a long time

Bubba has 10+ years of coaching left in him (my opinion).  I don't see coach Schmidt sticking around that long.  By the time Bubba retires, Schmidt could be a coach (DC or Head Coach) at a school larger than UND and wouldn't then take a pay cut to coach UND.  Hope he stays but I don't see it happening.