SiouxSports.com Forum

Best UND Football Team Ever

Kap

9 minutes ago, Kap said:

Does the highest ranked team in the highest division in its history make it the best team in its history?

No. Some teams from the 70s were damn good and playing at the equalivalent of this level. A couple of the D2 teams would have slugged it out head to head with this team as well.

• Upvote 1

In 1930, great things were expected of Jarrett and the UND football team, and they both delivered. Again they finished 9-1, but their one loss turned out to be a highlight for Jarrett. On Nov. 1, UND played the Army team at West Point, and the Army Cadets had not given up a touchdown all season. In attendance for the game was noted sportswriter Herbert Reed, of the New York Evening Journal, who annually selected an All-American football team.

During that game, Jarrett scored a touchdown by running for 32 yards and eluding tacklers. In his sports column, Reed wrote, “He is, in my opinion the greatest back of the year.”

Excerpt from Bismarck Tribune Nov. 29, 2014.

Army was ranked #9 in the Dickinson rankings.

7 hours ago, planet2county said:

In 1930, great things were expected of Jarrett and the UND football team, and they both delivered. Again they finished 9-1, but their one loss turned out to be a highlight for Jarrett. On Nov. 1, UND played the Army team at West Point, and the Army Cadets had not given up a touchdown all season. In attendance for the game was noted sportswriter Herbert Reed, of the New York Evening Journal, who annually selected an All-American football team.

During that game, Jarrett scored a touchdown by running for 32 yards and eluding tacklers. In his sports column, Reed wrote, “He is, in my opinion the greatest back of the year.”

Excerpt from Bismarck Tribune Nov. 29, 2014.

Army was ranked #9 in the Dickinson rankings.

Funny, in the season the prior week Army tied Yale 7 to 7.  I wonder if Army hadn't given up a rushing TD all season up to that point? 

Anyway, UND lost that game 33 to 6. 

Newspaper account from Chicago Tribune on Yale's touchdown: "on the fourth down Crowley had the honor of coasting high over center like a swimmer sliding down a wave on a surf board for a touchdown".

The excerpt regarding Red Jarrett was from Curt Eriksmoen in Bismarck Tribune, November 29, 2014.

How do you measure the greatest team?  Is it based on championships alone?  How about teams that played when there was no playoff system?  Is it based on how many players went to play at the pro level?  Were the Patriots who were undefeated until the Super Bowl not a great team?  

I'd say that 1998 team and the 2001 teams are the best teams in my time. Those two teams I'd say would play this years team. Break down by position and you'd have a pretty even matchup. Probably giving the nod to this years team but very close none the less.

2 hours ago, bang said:

I'd say that 1998 team and the 2001 teams are the best teams in my time. Those two teams I'd say would play this years team. Break down by position and you'd have a pretty even matchup. Probably giving the nod to this years team but very close none the less.

The 1996 team was loaded from top to bottom, but stumbled out of the gate with a 2-3 start (including the infamous Pat Behrns-ordered last-second touchdown in our embarrassing 26-7 Homecoming loss) and missed the playoffs. I really felt that team could have won it all if it weren't for that terrible start.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

When you look at those early 70's Jerry Olson teams, who they played and how badly they beat their opponents, pretty tough to argue that that era wasn't the high water mark for UND football.........

That 2001 team though, was nasty, especially the defense.  

They didn't want to give up 1st downs, let alone points. There literally was nowhere to run and nowhere to hide if you were a QB or RB trying to move the ball against them. They were worth the price of admission all by themselves.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I went to UND in the early 70's and football was big on campus. But the game changer is, the FB players were not a big then as they are today.  I would think this years team is the best. Especially, if they win any more games? 

It is impossible to compare eras in my opinion.  In any sport.  And in racing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

The 1993 team with Shannon Burnell running over every would-be tackler in sight was pretty amazing. If not for a mud-soaked field at IUP, who's to say how that season might have ended?

It sure was fun watching Burnell run.  Not the type of guy that would strike fear into opponents if they just watched him in warm ups, but man all he did was gain yards.

• Upvote 1