SiouxSports.com Forum

Should there be a change to NCAA vs. CIS exibition games.

cberkas

Since this has all of a sudden become an issue this year. The question is should the NCAA change rules to allow exhibition games be against other NCAA DI or DII/III schools, play ACHA club teams, or still play CIS teams?

Now if a NCAA DI team plays and exhibition against other DI, DII/DIII, or ACHA club team it is counted against the 34 game schedule. I'm for playing the CIS teams, I don't know if they are better competition then DII/DIII or the ACHA. I'm also not against UND  playing a DII/DIII or ACHA team if it is exempt like the CIS games are.

I guess there is the option to have a scrimmage against other NCAA DI teams to start the year, not sure how true this is but someone said that the ECHC does this each year in the conference.

Mike McMahon started this discussion on twitter after the Merrimack UNB game.

Mike McMahon@MikeMcMahonCHN Oct 1

At what point do NCAA teams just stop scheduling CIS teams for exhibitions? It seems like there were issues in most games tonight.

John Bierchen, Alabama's coach brought up playing ACHA teams.

John Bierchen@JohnBierchen 24h24 hours ago Georgia, USA

.@MikeMcMahonCHN time to give ACHA D1 teams opportunities. Help grow college game in US. Going to comment more on my Coaches show this week

I'm all for growing college hockey, it's not a bad idea just not sure if it would be better then playing CIS teams.

Mike McMahon@MikeMcMahonCHN 15h15 hours ago

@chsstats @JohnBierchen Last night, Dennehy suggested that maybe it's time to reconsider those bylaws.

John Bierchen@JohnBierchen 7h7 hours ago Tuscaloosa, AL

John Bierchen Retweeted UMass Lowell Hockey

.@MikeMcMahonCHN it's "ok" for UPEI to lose 7-0 but an ACHA team does & it's "no competition". Like we said yesterday, time for alternatives

I think there's lots of reasons to like the game against Manitoba.

Get the young guys out there.

Get a win.

Try some line combinations.

They're usually older experienced guys. (not more skilled then us, but they usually put up a fight for a while)

They've played games by the time we play them. (chemistry and game shape for them)

They play physical. (good for the boys to take and give some hits before the season starts)

We recruit Canada. (would like to play more Canadian teams like they did a couple years ago)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I think there's lots of reasons to like the game against Manitoba.

Get the young guys out there.

Get a win.

Try some line combinations.

They're usually older experienced guys. (not more skilled then us, but they usually put up a fight for a while)

They've played games by the time we play them. (chemistry and game shape for them)

They play physical. (good for the boys to take and give some hits before the season starts)

We recruit Canada. (would like to play more Canadian teams like they did a couple years ago)

If you saw. Everyone on the Manitoba bench was cheering along with the fans as the banner went up. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

What happened in the Merrimack UNB game to spark this conversation?

Here the box score.

http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/boxes/mmernbr1.o01

Going by his tweets, the UNB goalie two handed slashed a player then sprinted to the Marrimack bench to start a fight. After h was kicked out he tried to hit a kid in the stands with his stick. It sounds like UNB was taking runs at Marrimack players.

That is just a summary of what I remember.

25 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Here the box score.

http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/boxes/mmernbr1.o01

Going by his tweets, the UNB goalie two handed slashed a player then sprinted to the Marrimack bench to start a fight. After h was kicked out he tried to hit a kid in the stands with his stick. It sounds like UNB was taking runs at Marrimack players.

That is just a summary of what I remember.

Without knowing everything, there's two sides to every story.

2 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

The BU game had 4 majors, and sounds to be just as bad. 

The UNH UNB seems to have had no problems.

I think that these teams that are having issues with CIS teams. Don't have respect for the CIS teams. You can see there is a respect between UND and Manitoba. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I dunno, man. If the report of swinginger a stick at a fan in the crowd, let alone a 10-year-old is true, there is now other side. That's trash no matter how you look at it.

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Question: when these Canadian universities travel down to the States to play exhibition games, who pays their travel, food, lodging costs? Is there a similar arrangement as college football where the bigger power schools pay the little FCS schools a big chunk of change to play the game?

24 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Question: when these Canadian universities travel down to the States to play exhibition games, who pays their travel, food, lodging costs? Is there a similar arrangement as college football where the bigger power schools pay the little FCS schools a big chunk of change to play the game?

McMahon said they get paid $2,500.

6 hours ago, bale31 said:

I dunno, man. If the report of swinginger a stick at a fan in the crowd, let alone a 10-year-old is true, there is now other side. That's trash no matter how you look at it.

That may not of been his intent. He could have just been trying to throw it. Without actually seeing what happened it's hard to make a judgement. I know from time to time reading things that the opposition reporters say about UND it not always true. (or the entire story anyway) And we all see our teams through tinted glasses. (some more then others)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

That may not of been his intent. He could have just been trying to throw it. Without actually seeing what happened it's hard to make a judgement. I know from time to time reading things that the opposition reporters say about UND it not always true. (or the entire story anyway) And we all see our teams through tinted glasses. (some more then others)

He said he saw it and security and other people in the area said that the goalie too a swing at the kid. The kid did heckle the goalie but that's no excuse. The UNB reporter said it didn't happen.

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

According to this article games against CIS teams are "typically chippy". I have not seen that with UND vs Manitoba. Could it be the fault of the NCAA team and not the fault of the CIS team?

10 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

According to this article games against CIS teams are "typically chippy". I have not seen that with UND vs Manitoba. Could it be the fault of the NCAA team and not the fault of the CIS team?

I don't know, but that is what I've been thinking.

USCHO fan form for BGSU said there was a fight in the handshake line after the game.